Wedding Reception Forum

SO MANY QUESTIONS...PLEASE HELP

I have several questions. My father passed away in 2010. I want to play a song in his memory at my reception and dance with my brother in place of the father/daughter dance. What do you think of this idea?

Our dinner is going to be buffet style. My family is preparing the food and then I am hiring servers to tend to the buffet line. Should I rent the plates, silverware...etc

We are planning to do a photo booth with a scrap book table for our guest to place one of their photos with a small message is this too much?

Is it ok to have a couple of kids tables? We want our guests to have a good time and thought we would put a couple things at the kids table to give them something to do. Like color place mats or something like that. Does this sound too chensy of an idea?

What do you think about pyrotechnics at the reception?

Re: SO MANY QUESTIONS...PLEASE HELP

• 1.) I think it would be fine to dance with your brother instead of the typicaly father/daughter dance.  I would watch what song is picked and how its introduced at the reception.  You don't want you DJ to announce that in memory of Kim's dad, here is Kim & brother dancing to x.  A wedding is a happy occasion and this tribute might unexpectedly trigger sad memories for other guests.  I would just dance with your brother, with the two of you knowing that its in memory of dad.

2.) Either rent plates, silverware, etc.  Or you can purchase the high quality plastic plates and the plastic ware that looks silver.  If you have a membership to a bulk warehouse store, like BJ's or Costco, you should be able to find them here.  And any extra, unopened packages can be returned.

3.) The photo booth stuff is fine.

4.)  This is tricky, because depending on the age of the child, the parents may want them sitting with them.  I think it fine to have kids table for any teens or even pre-teens.  But the younger & smaller kids should probably be seated with the parents.  If you are close with the parents, give them a call and see what they prefer.

5.) I think with the right setting, this would work.  But are you hiring someone to do the fireworks?  Or is crazy Uncle John offering you a free fireworks show?  I would be leery with DIY fireworks with a large crowd, too much can go wrong.
  • Please keep in mind with the pyrotechnics that fireworks burn at over 1000 degrees.  They are incredibly dangerous, even when handled by professionals.  I think it's insane when I see sparkler send-offs.  You are trusting people who have been drinking with 1000 degree sputtering fire sticks aimed at your head.  I was seriously and life-alteringly injured by fireworks that were being professionally handled.  While in the burn unit, I met a young toddler where a firework landed in her stroller at a wedding.  She had been there for months, and was nowhere near leaving.  

As a result of my injuries, I cannot be around pyrotechnics of any type.  If I was at a wedding and knew there was going to be fireworks, I would leave well beforehand.  Even worse, if there were surprise fireworks, I would be reduced down to a shaking pile of person.
    "I give you this ring as a symbol of my vow, and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you."image
    July 12, 2013
  • Wait.... you won't have professionally prepared food but you'll have pyrotechnics?  Am I reading this right?
  • which venue allows you to serve food that your family has prepared? if they're serving it how do they know the food is safe and has been held at the proper temps and wont make people sick?

pyros? meh around here they send a barge out into the sound or bay and shoot them off there so there's no chance of hitting anything but water. inside or near the building-too iffy for me.

and i dont know why you'd pay for that but not food......

• I agree. Skip the fireworks and pay for a caterer to prepare the food instead.
  • Thanks for all your responses. We are taking everything into consideration. The pyrotechnics would be handled by professionals. My cousin is a professional caterer. We have a venue that has a caterer's kitchen that will allow my family to prepare our food. Hiring someone to do the food for 60-75 guests is over double what it would cost to buy the food and have my cousin to prepare it.
  • Just an FYI depending on where you are and the local permitting requirements you may need a permit for the pyrotechnics. 

• My father passed away in 2010. I want to play a song in his memory at my reception and dance with my brother in place of the father/daughter dance. What do you think of this idea?

You can certainly do a brother/sister dance instead of a father/daughter dance.  The one thing I wouldn't do is call a lot of attention to the fact that your father is deceased.  You don't want to turn your wedding into a sad occasion that's all about grief and loss rather than a happy occasion.

Our dinner is going to be buffet style. My family is preparing the food and then I am hiring servers to tend to the buffet line. Should I rent the plates, silverware...etc

If your venue isn't providing them, then yes, you'll need to.  If the wedding is meant to be formal, then yes, I'd provide china, silverware, and glasses and not disposable paper and plastic.  If you can rent them, that would be good.

We are planning to do a photo booth with a scrap book table for our guest to place one of their photos with a small message is this too much?

The photo booth sounds okay; I'd skip the scrapbook table.  Your guests might not want to give you anything further after incurring the expenses to attend your wedding and give you a gift.  Expecting them to give you a photo with a message after that does seem like a lot to ask for from them.

Is it ok to have a couple of kids tables? We want our guests to have a good time and thought we would put a couple things at the kids table to give them something to do. Like color place mats or something like that. Does this sound too chensy of an idea?

Parents don't usually want to be separated from their kids at a reception-they'll want their kids to sit with them and not at a separate kids' table.  As for what they do, they'd eat and dance just like everyone else.  If you're worried about the kids' not having a good time, they shouldn't be invited.

What do you think about pyrotechnics at the reception?

Bad idea.  First, they're illegal in most areas; second, you'll probably need a permit to shoot them off if they are legal; third, there will be noise issues.  Locals might get upset.  I'd skip this idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards