New Jersey

Reception Venue - 100 people

I need help. We're expecting about 100 people for our wedding which is too big for private rooms at restaurants and too small for a lot of reception halls. I've been calling a lot of places but seemed to have reached a dead end.

Does anyone have any recommendations? We're in Jersey City but happy to travel up to 30 minutes away. We're aiming for Nov/Dec 2011 and a Saturday evening. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We're on a pretty tight budget - and are trying to stay under $90 per person.

Just to give an idea, here are the places I called but can't accomodate us for one reason or another (not enough/too many people, not available, etc):
Chart House, The Venetian, Graycliff, The Pointe, The Quays, Newark Club, Oakside Mansion, Mezzanine, Villa, Snug Harbor, Il Villaggio.

Re: Reception Venue - 100 people

• manda9794manda9794 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe try the downstairs room at the Tides?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ecaro812ecaro812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THE GRAYCLIFF WOULDNT DO IT FOR 100 PEOPLE??? weird
  • edited December 2011
    The Graycliff said they could do it but that it would have to start the cocktail hour at 8PM unless we could do 120 people then we can do it at whatever time.
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    That's weird to me because we're having a Saturday night wedding at the Graycliff and had to guarantee only 100 people.  Maybe it's the time of the year or maybe there are other events going on?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely scheck into The Conservatory. at The Madison Hotel...
    Their MAX is around 125, and its beautiful!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• edited December 2011
    @Hoboken - What time is your wedding starting? I just can't see starting at 8:30.  I also called a few weeks ago for preliminary information and was told the prices start at $74 but today was quoted $80 for the same time frame.
  • edited December 2011
    The downstairs room at the Tides will, that was where our wedding was and our minimum. Also check The Manor, Macalusos, The Atrium (the room is downstairs and not nice), Mayfair Farms, Biagios, Seasons would do 125 in the upstairs room. I can't find our spreadsheet but if I think of more I can tell you. I know the others would take the 100 minimum though we went to see them. Also The Liberty House would do it, but it's the room you would get is in a tent off to the side and I thought that was weird.

We had an issue with this too. We didn't want to guarantee a lot of people b/c we both have many family members from out of state who we knew going in were not going to travel, and they didn't.

Good Luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    edited December 2011
    It's at 6pm but we've having our ceremony there.  Prices started at 80 pp.

• NJhousewife22NJhousewife22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Michael Anthonys in Jersey City may be an option, they they may be over your budget just slightly.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Check out The Merchant in JC, Costa Del Sol in Union, and maybe Fernandez or Iberia in Newark.

Is Perth Amboy too far? If not, try Seabra's Armory as well.

I actually inquired with Maxwell's in Hoboken for our wedding, and I think they could accommodate that size crowd and that budget. It'd be more casual than a reception hall or a really fancy restaurant, though (not sure how formal you want to go), and parking is a nightmare in that area so you'd probably have to hire shuttles and arrange for group parking in a pay lot or maybe a Stevens Tech lot.
  • maddie7maddie7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bretton Wood Mansion is small and was $85 per person
    http://brettonwoods.net/
  • edited December 2011
    We're having ours at The Manor in West Orange on a Saturday night in October (our cocktail hour starts at 6:00 p.m.) and have 115 guests.  They may be able to work with you for 100.  Not sure if they will accomoodate the $90 per head though.  Roman is our contact there and is great.  Good luck :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_reception-venue-100-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:c938b403-46c2-4bd2-8f3f-71b8f6c03547Post:eb41cb9e-17af-42d1-9bf6-db9c2c4cd6f1">Re: Reception Venue - 100 people</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about the W in Hoboken: <a href="http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/property/meetings/fas_detail.html?fasXRefId=1003967232&propertyID=1785" rel='nofollow'>http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/property/meetings/fas_detail.html?fasXRefId=1003967232&propertyID=1785</a>
    Posted by PrettyGirl815[/QUOTE]

The W in Hoboken will not be able to do 90pp. It's a 25k spend, at least it was when I inquired.

• edited December 2011
    Yeah - the W's minimums are pretty high both people and price wise. Thanks though!
  • edited December 2011
    Try Richfield Regency.  My friends got married there in the upstairs ballroom with about 90 guests.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    golfrgal - thanks! Just called Richfield and am seeing them this weekend.
  • edited December 2011
    Terrific!  Good Luck! 
  • edited December 2011
    NJhousewife22 - Yes! We looked at Michael Anthony's and liked it. Their pricing is within our budget and it's more of our stye. It's one of our front runners.
  • NJhousewife22NJhousewife22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OH right. I forgot we talked about this before. Oops!
  • edited December 2011
    No worries! Sometimes I forget what I post about.
  • edited December 2011
    I've been researching small locations as well. Just from their websites, I think the following places can accommodate you:
    1) Maggiano's Little Italy in Riverside Square Mall in Hackensack
    2) After Athen's Restauarant in Rutherford
    3) Chakra Restaurant in Paramus
    4) Dolce Novita in Moonachie
    5) Biagio's in Paramus

• edited December 2011
    Try Waterside in North Bergen.  This is, as of right now, my top venue and a spot not many people know about.  I don't think they can do $90 p/p (not sure of total budget) but there is no minimum req. for Friday night or Sunday afternoon (I think it's $100 p/p at this time) or night. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    What about the Stony Hill Inn in Hackensack?  Give them a call too :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • grgarofalogrgarofalo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure if you considered this place or if it was previously mentioned, but The Highlawn Pavilion in West Orange!  There is also the Hyatt Regency, but I'm not sure of their prices!  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    we had inquired about the kennilworth inn and they were great and nice and affordable but decided on the gran centuriouns.  check out the kennilworth though!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Try the Paris Inn.  We loved the ambiance, food and price, but we had too many people coming.  Look into it!  It really is nice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • michelle221michelle221 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try to talk to Carl about the upstairs at SEASONS!
    Also check out il Tulipano in Cedar Grove, talk to Greg!
  • edited December 2011
    Have you looked at the manor?  I think it would be in your price range for november?
  • edited December 2011
    I just found a place called Palisadium in Cliifside Park but all the reviews are bad...? Looks fairly nice from the website.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards