Chit Chat

Was it bad?

We are going to have two flower girls and each of them have a parent in the wedding. My one bridesmaid ordered her daughter's dress a while ago. My Fi and I decided that since his best man and his family are a little tight on money that we would order his daughter's dress. It is obviously too late to change it now but we ordered it without asking her parents if that particular dress was ok. (the dress is below, but in white) I have just been wondering if we still should have asked her parents if that dress would be ok before we ordered it.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_All-over-Satin-Tea-Length-Ball-Gown-H1227_Bridal-Party-Flower-Girls-All-Flower-Girl-Dresses

Re: Was it bad?

• If you are paying for it, I see no reason why you should have gotten their approval. It is your wedding after all. The only way I would say do need approval is if they are paying for it.
  • You should have asked her mother if she was okay with the dress and told her that you would be purchasing it so the price wouldn't matter.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Personally, I wouldn't want my little girl to wear that dress, it's too skimpy on top.
  • Run it by mom or dad and ask if they feel she needs a little cardigan or bolero. If they say yes  you should probably purchase that too. Maybe something like this: http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_-1_981484_770404_27151|133002_girl|sweaters_girl
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think you should've ran it by her parents.

The dress is very pretty but it's not something that would look cute on my daughter because of the way it's made. The skirt would stick out way too much and the top would be very big on her. I think her and Satin don't mix. She ended up wearing a similar dress but the skirt was more of an A-Line.
  • Without asking the parents, are you sure you ordered the right size? Parents are very particular about what their children wear and how things fit.

I purchased BM dresses for my 2 nieces, but I took the girls and their mom (FSIL) to the store to look at the dress and try them on. She approved of them, and the girls gave me their sizes so there wouldn't be any issues--if I would have just ordered based on their normal sizes, I would have had to pay a pretty penny to either have them altered or to re-order a whole new dress because their normal sizes were too small in that style.

I'm sure they will appreciate your generosity, but in situations like that it is always best to ask them if they are okay with you making the purchase. Money is a sticky subject, and to ease any embarrassment it is always best to err on the side of caution.
  • We bought our flower girls' dresses, but we ran them by the parents first.  I would definitely want to make sure they are comfortable putting their daughter in whatever clothing I chose.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • They knew we were going to order it and her dad told us what size she was. The dress does not reveal anything that would be wrong for a little girl. I certainly would let my daughter wear it. I am pretty sure her parents won't mind it, I have seen her in some clothes, dresses and otherwise, that have shown quite a bit more. I just felt bad after I ordered it that I didn't run the dress by them first.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_was-it-bad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:388b7db1-012b-4021-aff1-e9ed9ef8dbb6Post:905f6fff-f588-40c2-bc9b-96ab5c6aeb1e">Re: Was it bad?</a>:
    [QUOTE]They knew we were going to order it and her dad told us what size she was. The dress does not reveal anything that would be wrong for a little girl. I certainly would let my daughter wear it. I am pretty sure her parents won't mind it, I have seen her in some clothes, dresses and otherwise, that have shown quite a bit more. I just felt bad after I ordered it that I didn't run the dress by them first.
    Posted by TT Bride 13[/QUOTE]

There is a reason you fell bad: You should not have done this the way that you did.  Their daughter is not your daughter so what you would allow isn't necessarily what they would allow.  Call the parents and ask if they are okay with <u><em>their </em></u>little girl wearing this dress in the wedding.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards