Wedding Party

Ordering dresses

Sorry if this has already been asked and if it's way too long.  My wedding isn't for another 14 months.  My mom is visiting from the East coast (I live on the West) and since I dont see her that often, we are taking care of a lot of little wedding things now.  We went with one of my BM to try on dresses (all of my other BM's are in the East Coast as well) but I think it's way too early to order dresses now.  We found one we all liked and I was keeping the other girls in the loop by texting pics to them.  How soon do I ask BM's to order dresses?  If we wait more than 5 months I was told by the bridal store that the styles would be discontinued.
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ordering dresses

• Well if you wait until the absolute latest that you can order the dresses without them being discontinued you will be at the 9 month mark.  Depending on how long they take to come in your BMs should have their dresses about 2 months later (if not sooner).  I would say that if you love the dress and all of your girls are ok on the price and do not mind purchasing the dress so far out then I would go with it.  Just make sure that the price of the dress is within each girls budget and that they are ok with spending that money sooner rather then later.

• They're always going to tell you that it's about to be discontinued because they want your sale rightthisminute.  Even if it is, that means you can't get any new or custom orders, but they'll still sell through their stock.  My wedding gown had been looooong discontinued when I ordered it, so I bought it off the rack.

Technically, you shouldn't even be ASKING your bridesmaids until 9 months out, let alone ordering dresses.  Bodies can change a lot in 14 months; there's time for any of your girls to get pregnant and carry the kid to term between now and then.  You might find that your plans for your wedding have changed drastically and now the dresses that looked gorgeous for a formal evening event are going to be completely out of place at your casual afternoon wedding (for example).  Something even better might come down the pipe after you've already ordered.  And so on and so forth.  14 months is a very long time. 

I'd wait until you get about 7-8 months out and start looking again.  If this dress is still available (and it likely will be) and it's still the best choice, then awesome.  If not, it still gives you plenty of time to find something else.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • When FH and I first got engaged we planned our wedding for early November 2012.  So when I asked my BM's back then it was right around the 9 month mark.  I ended up losing my job shortly after, so we decided it was the perfect time to move to the West Coast (which was something we had been planning on doing for years).  We packed up a uhaul truck moved to Los Angeles and (thankfully) found jobs within a few weeks.  Now we're planning again but wanted to give ourselves more time and plan it so that both of our families can travel for the wedding.  I agree that it's really soon to shop for dresses but I wanted to take advantage of the time that my mom was spending out here.  She won't be able to visit that often so we've actually been doing a lot these past couple weeks.  None of my bridesmaids are planning to have kids or anything, they are all uinder 24 years old and 3 are in college, but life happens. 

I had a feeling that the bridal shop owners were trying to pressure me into buying dresses then and there, but when I made it clear that I wasn't there to buy anything yet, they eased off.  I'm beginning to think that all of the vendors I'm meeting with are out to screw me.

Thanks for the responses!  I'll keep checking with the salon as we get closer to 2013 to find out which dresses are discontinued and which ones arent. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards