African American Weddings

Traditions

Since it is the eve of New Year's eve Just wondering if there are any traditions that you will be doing?

I have to clean the house from top to bottom (so not looking forward to that) including taking down the tree and all Christmas decor and doing the laundry.Then on new years day I have to make black eye peas, greens and some kind of pork dish. I will be spending new years eve in church ringing it in with the Lord and thanking HIM for everything in 2010 and thanking HIM in advance for all the greatness that 2011 has to bring. Then I will hit up a friends house for the rest of the night with FI.

Anyone else have any traditions?

Re: Traditions

• tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_traditions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:3b61c93d-f803-4368-958a-9fb507124931Post:83ffb660-75aa-4366-b5ed-a4173191d6bc">Traditions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since it is the eve of New Year's eve Just wondering if there are any traditions that you will be doing? I have to clean the house from top to bottom (so not looking forward to that) including taking down the tree and all Christmas decor and doing the laundry.Then on new years day I have to make black eye peas, greens and some kind of pork dish. <font color="#ff0000"><strong>I will be spending new years eve in church ringing it in with the Lord and thanking HIM for everything in 2010 and thanking HIM in advance for all the greatness that 2011 has to bring.</strong></font> Then I will hit up a friends house for the rest of the night with FI. Anyone else have any traditions?
    Posted by shesheduke[/QUOTE]

That's my yearly thing! lol. My mom, bro, and I always go to my play aunt's house {mom's friend}. This year will be sad because it's actually a going away party for her and my uncle. They are moving back to FL. So, FI and I will be going this year. That's all I have.
  • zantsterzantster member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    When I was single I used to get with my family, pray as the new year came in and toast with a glass of wine or champagne.  It has always just been about being thankful that loved ones are healthy and together and giving thanks to HIM. 

Hey sheshe I am already starting to feel planning nerves even though the main event is 8 mos. away.  Are you freaking out yet?  Have you gone to any of the local GTGs?
  • sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Ty dont be sad at least you will have a place to visit even though you already leave in the South Florida has some hot spots and you can stay with Auntie for free lol!

Zantster yes I am freaking out especially since I DONT have a church yet!!! I need a church like I need air right now and that has caused me to get 4 gray hairs over the past few weeks. I also need to get started on a cake. I saw some uplighting on this board the other day now I am debating on if I want that too. This is not good adding stuff to my list.

Nope still have not made it to a GTG yet but I plan to make sure I am at the next one no matter what. I want to put some real faces and personalities with the online comments. Have you been yet? Do you have a lot of major stuff left to do or are you just freaking out because time is ticking so fast?
  • zantsterzantster member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    @sheshe:

Nope I have not been to a local GTG either but I also want to go to one.  Let's both try to go to the next one ok?  I don't know about major stuff.  But I still have to do stuff like send out STDs, make sure my BMs get their dresses ordered, make sure the money I expect to be able to use towards my budget actually comes through!  Oh my God please let the IRS be my friend this year.  I have a lot of detailed stuff to do and I am freaking out cause time is ticking SO FAST!!!  I have to have my dress altered some more cause I keep losing weight!  My appetite has plummeted.  Are you just looking for like any church or a certain denomination?
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely will have black eye peas and collard greens....since I'm not home in VA I'll have to cook them myself for the first time. This will be my first New Years Eve with my FI however so I'm looking forward to it. We aren't going out but I've planned a romantic dinner for the two of us on New Year's Eve.
    Graphics Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awwww that is so sweet Meeko I hope you enjoy it!

Zantster Its a deal I will be at the next GTG. Luckily we are not doing STD's so I dont have to worry about that and all of my girls have their dresses ordered and re ordered so we are set there too.

I am not too picky on churches. I am Christian and a lot of churches like the Catholic Churches wont let you get married unless you convert and I am not trying to do that. Someone mentioned Lutheran to me but I dont know much about that religion to be getting married in that kind of church.
  • edited December 2011
    Well growing up , I always went to church on New year's Eve with my family and spent the first moments of the new year praying, crying, shoutin, and praising God. My FI's parents are totally dif than my fam so looks like ill need to come up with a new tradition. This New year is a lil sad for me cuz i wanna be with my fam back home or with FI but he's at work and my fam is in another state. So, ill prob pray and just go to sleep
    " he's the perfect rhyme to a tight beat." Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards