Snarky Brides

Swearing

Do you swear?  Do you ever accidentally swear around people who you don't plan to swear around?  I think I need to stop swearing as part of my growing up-ness.  My mom doesn't swear, and she's very good at being a grown up. 
my read shelf:
Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale

Re: Swearing

• I swear, but I'm also good at not doing it around people that I shouldn't. :-)

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• I should note that I'm not an exorbitant swearer in most circumstances, but sometimes if I hang out with swearers, it rubs off on me subliminally. 
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • I do. But I've always been pretty good at filtering myself about people and groups I don't want to swear around. I've really cut back on my swearing, I think.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • I swear... yesterday, I swore as a coworker of mine walked into the room.  He gave me the carebear stare.  I apologized quickly.

I'm pretty sure I swore in my boss's office before he ever agreed to let me work there.  He still hired me.  I consider that a win.

But, in general, I need to swear less. 
  • I swear a little, but nearly never in front of people who would be upset. I try to avoid it in general because there are just so many in my opinion better ways to express yourself. It makes me laugh a little when I see someone with big time education who swears a ton, I think they are short-changing all that fancyschoolin' :)
  • edited August 2010
    I swear. Bad. Everyone I know swear. But I do know when to tone it down.
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I generally wont swear in public or around children, any other time I do within reason. Im the worst around Adam though.
  • But Cew, I bet you are cute when you swear a ton! Tongue out
  • I swear like a sailor most of the time. But not around kids or at work.
  • I swear most when I'm angry.  I once accidentally said fuuck at Wendy's when there was a little girl in the booth behind me.  I apologized to her mom.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I swear a lot at work... I have the hardest time not swearing around FSS because Most of the time (all but two weekends a month) it's just me and FI and I forget, plus FSS is 12, a young 12 but 12.

Once I did slip in front of him and FI said joking, "Nice language in front of Matt" and Matt said, "dad she doesn't use those words it was an accident" So I guess I'm doing an ok job.
  • I honestly don't know that I could be friends with someone who never swears or has something against it. I would feel like I couldn't be myself.
  • I swear more when I'm angry. But I do catch myself, and try to do better. The people I work with dont swear much. It surprises me when the "F" word slips out of one of them it's so rare.

I have to adapt to my surroundings, my sister is married to a preacher, so I'm always watching my language around her family.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_swearing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3aa3d729-50ff-4080-a834-20dd4d8f310fPost:32c70e50-32e0-4a51-b93f-85110e6c4c06">Re: Swearing</a>:
    [QUOTE]I honestly don't know that I could be friends with someone who never swears or has something against it. I would feel like I couldn't be myself.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

A good friend and bridesmaid of mine doesn't swear, and honestly? I agree with you. It's kind of weird.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_swearing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3aa3d729-50ff-4080-a834-20dd4d8f310fPost:32c70e50-32e0-4a51-b93f-85110e6c4c06">Re: Swearing</a>:
    [QUOTE]I honestly don't know that I could be friends with someone who never swears or has something against it. I would feel like I couldn't be myself.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]
    Really?  Would it be if they never did it or if they judged and side eyed you when you did?  Would you differentiate?
    my read shelf:
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_swearing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3aa3d729-50ff-4080-a834-20dd4d8f310fPost:3fb02a05-74d8-4ef3-a427-0dab08d4192d">Re: Swearing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Swearing : Really?  Would it be if they never did it or if they judged and side eyed you when you did?  Would you differentiate?
    Posted by Night_Sprite[/QUOTE]

No. It's not about them judging me. I would just feel to restricted around them. I have a good friend that doesn't swear and gets really upset when people do around her. I love her to death, but I feel like I can't be myself when I'm around her. I'm crass. I don't hold back. That's just me. We hang out, but it's rare because I worry about offending her all of the time.
  • I swear aaaaalll the f$cking time. :)

Honestly, it's just words. It makes me feel better and it doesn't really hurt anyone. If I want to be respectful to people who I think might be offended, I won't do it. Otherwise, get your bleep generator ready.
  • CS - for the psychosomatic stuff, aren't nonsense words just as effective?  Saying horse shoes or monkies can easily stand in for the same thing, can't it?
    my read shelf:
  • I swear moderately. Not too much, not too little.

I definitely do filter myself around children, certain family members etc.

I still can't say "fvck" in front of my Mother.
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Pictures, Images and Photos
  • If I said fuuck in front of my mother I would get such a look.  Uff da.  
    my read shelf:
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_swearing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3aa3d729-50ff-4080-a834-20dd4d8f310fPost:32c70e50-32e0-4a51-b93f-85110e6c4c06">Re: Swearing</a>:
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

Oh, watch me get really mad and I definitely swear-a lot. I also do not have any big thing against it. A lot of my friends are major swear all the time, a lot. I think for some people in very straight laced employment the swearing is sort of a hang-loose release from it all. The woman I know with the most swear words is a bank regional VP. If they heard anyone say "shiiit" during work hours, it would probably be a write up.
  • When I was in TX with my whole family last week, my SIL yelled out SSSHHUGAR!!!!!! from the kitchen. I don't know what  she did, but I laughed, because I knew what she was about to say.

I don't cuss knowingly around my nephew (but I might have said dammit when I stepped on a hammer getting out of the spa - thanks Dad), and when I taught, I made a big deal of RARELY cussing while I was at school, even once the kids were gone, because often there were several wandering the halls - kids of teachers, etc.

But, with the exception of 2 words, I can cuss like a sailor, and probably do more than my husband. It comes from working with all guys for way too long and trying to fit in.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • I'm a potty mouth and it sucks.  I am trying to reduce it.  I definitely am good about it when I'm around kids, old people, professionals, etc. but I could still reduce it more. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_swearing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3aa3d729-50ff-4080-a834-20dd4d8f310fPost:16102163-90b5-4e50-9212-57d2865bf82b">Re: Swearing</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I said fuuck in front of my mother I would get such a look.  Uff da.  
    Posted by Night_Sprite[/QUOTE]

HAHA, thing thing is, my Mom wouldn't even care. She's a big fan of the f-bomb herself. But it's just one of those things I can't do because as a kid she put the fear in me about swearing.
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Pictures, Images and Photos
  • I used to swear a lot in general, but I've toned it down a LOT. Now its mostly if I get riled up. I do still swear a lot in my head.. haha
    Or if I am by myself and trip over my dog or something like that.
    I just try to be conscientious of who I am around.
  • I swear like a sailor, except at work, folks who don't, or around children. Instead of filtering myself, I tend to speak in a more formal (like not using contractions, etc.) manner, and the cussing just doesn't come up. 

My mom is one of those folks that I have never, ever heard swear. Until recently. I was asked to put someone on my research committee that she doesn't like very much (putting it mildly). When I told her that I acquiesced to the request, she blurted out "Oh, shiit!". I laughed so hard. She was very embarrassed.
    AMA over 40
    Massive uterine fibroids removed 3/06
    BFP 1/11; MM/C discovered @ 10w, loss at 6w; Cytotec
    B/W 7/11 = normal CD3, FSH 8.9; 7DPO progesterone 1.7
    Three Clomid cycles, all BFN, Off to an RE for me...
    FSH=8.7 E2=30 AMH=1.8 HSG clear, SA=great
    Inj. IUI #1 12/9/11 BFN, Inj. IUI #2 1/6/12 BFN
    Inj. IUI #3 1/30/12 BFP!, HCG doubled through 6w, 7w u/s mm/c twins
    Lost our known donor to unplanned pregnancy
    Factor V Leiden, Hetero, symptomatic
    Op Hysteroscopy 5/12, removed scar tissue and uterine septum
    Doing Cryo-DE IVF and older child adoption (Home visit- Check!)
    Beautiful hatching 5-blast transfered 8/30
    BFP 9/7/12 EDD May 19, 2013, beta #1=291 beta #2=762 beta #3=7306
    Sneek peak u/s shows HB at 6w1d!!! 123bpm!
    Still have a HB at 18w0d!!! 142bpm! Grow, baby, grow!
    Great NT scan, but, placenta previa. Resolving!
    Labile Hypertension, placed on HBP meds to try to avoid pre-e
    A/S on 12/21/12, Petra's having a baby, it's the end of the world!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PGAL Siggy Challenge- Animal Hangovers!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Petra, you are an obese 40+ year old. Stop jumping through these hoops. Just adopt already. There is no shame in that." -Deethebee
  • I swear a lot. Like a truck driver.
    Obviously, I can't do that when I'm with kids, but that still gives me a good 60% of the time that I can. And I do.
  • Usually only when I'm pissed off.
  • I've always loved the phrases swears like a sailor or like a trucker; I guess those two professions evoke more swearing than others?  lol

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• I would totally be a sailor if I knew how to swim.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards