Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

where to stay night before wedding?

Hi all,

My fiance and I are booking the hotel room for the night after our wedding. But what to do about the night before? We'd like to be traditional and stay apart that last night of "singledom," but are not sure what protocol is, or what makes the most sense for us.

Quick summary of our situation: Wedding's in NYC, where we live. My parents live here, too, his are coming in from out of town. One of us could stay at our apartment, one at the hotel, but that seems so lonely. I could stay at my parents', but my brother/his fiance are also staying there and could be a little hectic. We could both try to crash with friends, but I don't want to impose. Or we could invite friends to stay with us, but we don't have many single friends.

What are you planning? What's customary?

Thanks a ton!!

Re: where to stay night before wedding?

• I am staying the night at our house with my sister and he is actually staying in my parents house.  We decided I would stay here because all of the women are coming here to get ready the next morning.  He's staying there because all of the men are meeting at my parents house.
  • We have a couple that is in our wedding party...the night before she is going to stay with me, and he'll stay w/ his groomsman.  If you have a couple you could do this with it would be easiest, otherwise I would just book a 2nd room for the night before.
  • he's staying with his GM in our apartment, i'm staying with the girls at the hotel. we're having an afternoon wedding so we need to start getting ready early so it just made more sense for all the women to be together. 
  • I'm staying at the Hotel with my MOH (sister) and he's staying at our place.
  • There's no specific protocol.  It's whatever works for your situation. 
    FI and I already live together and I see no reason to stay apart the night before, just for the sake of 'last night of singledom'.  We gave that up when we moved in together.
  • we might spend our last night apart (which is only for tradition because weve lived together for a while now) our wedding is at our home. by then we will have our own apartment behind his parents house on the property, he might stay in his old room (our current room during construction of the apt) and me and my MOH will stay in our apartment. my oot brother, his wife and 5 kids will be staying with us too, but in our home theater, near our apartment. so i dont anticipate being lonely.
    10-10 siggy favorite summer picture Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hiscb.blogspot.com/
  • I will be staying at my parents house and my FI will be staying at ours with his Best Man and brother. (His brother is also one of our groomsmen.)

My FI and I bought our first home in Sept. I want all of the tradition for our wedding so I am staying with my mom and dad...but a little background on it, my parents live in my grandparents house. 10 years ago my Grandpa passed away and my parents moved in with my Grandma and I kept my childhood home for a year and split the mortage with a few friends that moved in with me. A yr later, I had things going on, so we sold my parents house (to my then-boyfriends mother, lol) and I moved in with them and my Grandma. My Grandma passed away four years later, and my Grandma's home became my parents home again.

Also, when my mom married my dad, she got ready in that house. There are 3 pictures of my mom  getting ready for thier wedding in that house that I want to duplicate. One pic is of my mom looking in my grandma's dresser mirror while my Grandma straightened her veil. The same dresser (color and all) is in my parent's room and I want to have that next generation pic.

My mom and I have our hair and make up appt at 9:30am and my girls are all meeting at my parents house at 11:00am and the photographer is coming thier first at 12 and than meeting the guys at the church.

Stay where it is most comfortable for you (and where you can try ti get a good night's sleep! lol) My FI have been together 3 yrs ago in June. He would stay with me some nights at my parents and I would stay with him some nights at his place with his room mates. The nights we were a part it was hard for me to fall asleep. I think I might be a little tired and little sleep the morning of the wedding. (17 days til June 12th!!!!) :)

• FI is staying at the hotel (in our neighborhood) with his family (from OOT) and I am staying at our place. MOH will stay with me.
    Crosswalk
  • I am staying at the hotel with my mom.  I'm not sure where FI is staying yet, probably at his parents' house.  (We live in a different state so he can't stay at our place.)
    Married 10/2/10
  • I am staying at the hotel and my FH is staying at our place. At least that is the plan Today. LOL!!
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • The wedding is in my hometown and his parents are traveling in. He is staying at my Dad's house and I am staying at my Mom's house. FI is really close with my dad so it won't be awkward at all for him.
    imageimage
  • He's staying at the hotel, and I'm staying at my parent's home.
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Okay, so at least now I know I'm not breaking some super-sacred tradition by not knowing what to do here. (Then again, I think I broke tradition when we moved in together before even being engaged. Oops!)

Our "bridal party" only includes his sister, who's in college, and my brother, coming in from out-of-town.

I think I'm now leaning toward staying at my dad's place, and having him stay at our apt or at the hotel with whoever he wants.

Thanks for all your advice, ladies!!
  • Yeah, whatever works for you is fine. FI is staying at his parents house the night before and I am staying with my sister (MOH) at my Grandma's so she can help me get ready.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_stay-night-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:1fcbff45-9aca-4399-939f-933dbadc3aadPost:1503556b-591b-48f6-9f4b-a3e06a215e89">Re: where to stay night before wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm staying at the Hotel with my MOH (sister) and he's staying at our place.
    Posted by portia.young[/QUOTE]

Ditto.
  • We got lucky - our hotel provides a free honeymoon suite for the night of the wedding, and the lady working with us gave me the night before for free as an added bonus =)  So me and my lilttle sister and my other MOH will be chillin in the hot tub suite the night before and my FI and his GM will be at our apartment.

"He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." - Wuthering Heights Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    He will stay with his parents at there home and I will stay at my parents place.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    We lived together before the wedding, but we wanted to spend the night before apart. My parents only live like 5 minutes away, and when I moved out my sister never got around to changing our old room, so DH stayed at our place, and I got to have one last night in my old bed.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_stay-night-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:1fcbff45-9aca-4399-939f-933dbadc3aadPost:4591d24d-faa7-412d-a33d-04f925faf639">Re: where to stay night before wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I moved back in with my folks last November to save money before our wedding.  So, I'll just be at my parents' house.  FI will be at our house.
    Posted by jlmarks83[/QUOTE]

I'm confused by this.  If you two have a house together already, how does it save money for you to live with your parents?
    Married 10/2/10
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_stay-night-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:1fcbff45-9aca-4399-939f-933dbadc3aadPost:e91727a0-bd8b-436b-91dd-c42a7d0546b7">Re: where to stay night before wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: where to stay night before wedding? : I'm confused by this.  If you two have a house together already, how does it save money for you to live with your parents?
    Posted by quotequeen[/QUOTE]

I did the exact same thing. FI is still in school and at the time I moved back home he picked a smaller apt (not really large enough for two people) that he could afford with his financial aid and I moved back home to work and save up money with less bills. :) He's currently back home with his folks for the summer (despite graduating in a year!)

We're going to have been "not living togehter" for awhile when the wedding comes around, which is odd becuase we met as roommates, but I also wanted to keep the tradition alive even though we've lived together before, so I will likely be sharing a rented room (house or hotel, not sure yet) with my MoH and BMs and FI will be coming into town with his family, probably sharing a room with the GM's as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • He is staying with his parents, and I'm staying in our apartment with my MOH and bridesmaids.
  •  My FI and I live together and one of his GM is married to my best friend (not in the wedding...too much family)...My BM's, MOH and myself are staying at my parents. He and the GM are staying at our place. It works as our hair appointments are relatively early and it is easier with us all together. I am actually looking forward to the night before! :)
  • We too got a hotel room for our wedding night!  I will be staying at the hotel with my sister and bridesmaid being as we will be up early for hair and make-up.
    He will be staying at our house with his brother!

If you want to stay at the hotel, just have one of your girls stay with you so you don't get lonely!!
  • We are getting a hotel room for our wedding night as well.  I am staying at my moms place because thats where all of my stuff is staying and where everyone is getting ready.  My sister is even staying there, so it will be like little kids again and sharing a room!  My FI will be at our place all by his lonesome self, but his groomsmen will be here to get ready.  We live really close to his mom so that works in favor of that part.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_stay-night-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:1fcbff45-9aca-4399-939f-933dbadc3aadPost:897046ae-fcf7-4e5a-be35-1e999c5b5984">Re: where to stay night before wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's no specific protocol.  It's whatever works for your situation.  FI and I already live together and I see no reason to stay apart the night before, just for the sake of 'last night of singledom'.  We gave that up when we moved in together.
    Posted by FutureMrsMcDaniel[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto this exactly! We will spend the night before together in our own home, but part ways first thing in the morning to start getting ready for the day. </div>
  • My friedn is getting married next weekend and all of the bridesmaids are staying at her house with her and he's going to stay at his brothers house.

My hubby and I got married on his parents estate in England and the house was big enough to divide in half without us running into each other. So he stayed in one part and I stayed in the other.

Really, it's up to what you want to do. Nothing is set in stone.
  • I'm staying at our house with our daughter and maybe my cousin (MOH).  I'm sending his to his mom's :)
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our venue is a hotel so they give us the night before and the night of for free so I will be staying in our suite with my mom or MOH the night before (run thru all the last minute details and such), he will stay at his parents house which is in town.
    Our Wedding
  • I'll stay at my parent's house.  My sister and I kind of planned it that way - sleep in our old rooms and hang out like when we were kids... because I doubt much sleep will actually happen!

I haven't decided if I'm going to have the other BMs stay too... but I do have my own house that they can stay in (since one of our roommates is a BM too), and I doubt that would be an issue.  I'm not quite that far.  Staying at Mom & Dad's is definitely set in stone at this point though.
  • I'm staying with my MOH at her house and FI is staying at our apartment, probably with the BM but we're not quite sure about that yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards