Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

What should I pay my photographer?

My photographer is a good friend of mine...she runs a professional business and takes amazing pictures.

I met with her today to discuss hiring her to take our pics for our June 8 wedding, and was shocked and blessed to find out she is gifting us her photgraphy for our special day! :)

The only thing she said we needed to pay her was a tip.

Her regular services include engagement photos (to the tune of $200 just for the sitting fee) plus 8 hours of photography the day of the wedding. For a total cost of $1000.00.

We are only in need of her for about 4-5 hours the day of our wedding, plus we already had engagement pics done by someone else. She will do the pre ceremony pics of FI & I, plus wedding party pics,...then actual ceremony pics, plus a few group shots after, thats it (possibly a couple of me getting ready...)
Our pre-ceremony pictures will be taken close to her (less than 10 miles away) and the ceremony itself is only about 15 minutes away from her home.

So my question is...how much based on this information would you *tip* her?  I have an amount in mind, but I don't want to be too cheap, but I also know its being given as a gift so I don't know if my figure is even remotely close.

WDYT?
Christie + Chad ~June 8, 2013~
 CPT & mama to 9 kids, one SIL & a grandbaby girl!

Re: What should I pay my photographer?

• Options
    Well it is partly a "gift", so I would maybe do like $300? What were you thinking?
  • Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_what-should-i-pay-my-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:f3f8499c-2be1-47a1-9f6c-0e734da9f732Post:31065f9b-58bb-40b8-80f5-36b0b1bd0166">What should I pay my photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My photographer is a good friend of mine...she runs a professional business and takes amazing pictures. I met with her today to discuss hiring her to take our pics for our June 8 wedding, <strong>and was shocked and blessed to find out she is gifting us her photgraphy for our special day! :) The only thing she said we needed to pay her was a tip.</strong> Her regular services include engagement photos (to the tune of $200 just for the sitting fee) plus 8 hours of photography the day of the wedding. For a total cost of $1000.00. We are only in need of her for about 4-5 hours the day of our wedding, plus we already had engagement pics done by someone else. She will do the pre ceremony pics of FI & I, plus wedding party pics,...then actual ceremony pics, plus a few group shots after, thats it (possibly a couple of me getting ready...) Our pre-ceremony pictures will be taken close to her (less than 10 miles away) and the ceremony itself is only about 15 minutes away from her home. So my question is...how much based on this information would you *tip* her?  I have an amount in mind, but I don't want to be too cheap, but I also know its being given as a gift so I don't know if my figure is even remotely close. WDYT?
    Posted by beautifulmama28[/QUOTE]

<div>I find it weird that she said she's gifting you her services but then says you just need to pay her a tip. </div><div>
    </div><div>With that said, you said you don't need the $200 engagement and you need her for half of the standard 8 hours for $800.  So that's $400 worth of services.  I would probably give her 20% or $80...or you could round up to $100.</div>
  • Options
    That is so sweet of her to do that for you!
    Here's a few comments that might help you decide. When I offer friends/family discounts I usually offer 25-50% off. That being said, tipping photographers is not customary, but your friend is doing this as a gift for you guys, so a monetary gift for her services is perfectly acceptable in this case!! Honestly I would consider paying her $100 or $200 (or a fraction of what you had budgeted to pay a photog) 

• Options
    Who is your photographer hat is only charging $1k?! I'm freaking out about paying the $2500+ everyone else is ok with!
  • Options
    keep in mind how much a photographer works - not only on your actual wedding day, but also in the days to follow.  that may sway your idea on tipping a little bit more.

sweet of your friend to bless you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards