Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Survey: What About Wedding Photography Is Most Important To You?

Hi Ladies,

I am hoping to get some opinions about what brides want (or don't want!) in their wedding photography. I am writing an article about trends in photography and I would love to know what you all think!

The questions are:

What do you or don't you want in your wedding photos?

How did you pick your photographer?

Are you more interested in digital images of your wedding (like on a CD or to post to your website, iphone, ipad, etc) or a traditional paper album?

Are you doing traditional bridal potraits, couple-oriented engagement photos, neither, or both?

Thanks so much for all of your input! I have been married for 13 years, and back then the only choices were film and an album of prints, so a lot has changed since then!

Bridget

Re: Survey: What About Wedding Photography Is Most Important To You?

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't want a bunch of stiff formal posed photos.  I wanted my pictures to document the day from beginning to end.  Detail shots were important also.

How did you pick your photographer?
    I loved her website, her style, she came highly recommended on my local board, and once I met her in person, we just clicked.

Are you more interested in digital images of your wedding (like on a CD or to post to your website, iphone, ipad, etc) or a traditional paper album?
    I chose both but if I had to pick, it would be the CD of my images.

Are you doing traditional bridal potraits, couple-oriented engagement photos, neither, or both?
    We did an engagement session but I did not do bridals.
  • edited December 2011
    What do you or don't you want in your wedding photos? I want more photojournalism stlyed photos- not too much posing and formal family pics. I want people laughing, dancing and shots of people just having a great time.

How did you pick your photographer? We chose our photographer first! Your cake gets eaten, flowers die, dress in the closet- but your vows and your photos are the only things you really keep forever. I found a photographer whos pictures were so beautiful- they looked like works of art. http://www.joelatterphotographer.com/

Are you more interested in digital images of your wedding (like on a CD or to post to your website, iphone, ipad, etc) or a traditional paper album? We want both!

Are you doing traditional bridal potraits, couple-oriented engagement photos, neither, or both? We are doing an engament session.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I'm probably going to skew the results, but here goes :)

Want: Details. There are some things I've worked very hard on, and I want photos of those (We did a special photo shoot just for the invitations, for example.) I want it to be a more photojournalistic capturing of the whole thing.
    Don't want: Honestly, me. I'm a photographer for a lot of reasons, not the least of which means that I'm not in most photos. The Texan's the same way, but he does like the portraits I've taken of him.

How did you pick your photographer? *snicker.* Out of 24 guests, 7 are pro-level photographers. They came out of the woodwork to volunteer. Seriously. The "official" photographer and I have shot together for almost 15 years at this point, so he gets priority, but I don't really consider any of the others any less important. You never know who'll turn out something amazing. Two of them are less sure about their skills, but my wedding has kind of turned into this bizarre mass photoshoot / competition. It's awesome, because I'm "competing" too - we're winding the night up with a critique with prizes. The only time I won't have a camera in my hand is during the actual ceremony, and I'm still complaining that it'll be like a bouquet, only more awesome. My mother, who hasn't asked for much other than this, isn't buying it.

Digital. Because we have so many photographers, trying to co-ordinate everything has turned to ridiculous, and trying to get them each to do prints is silly. We've got an online solution for submissions, and then I'm going to print them through various sources, depending on which photos I love (I'm not the type to have photos of me or us kicking around in general, but I'd like some large arty prints of the details.)

We have photo shoots all the time. Really. Every party turns into a photo shoot, and the guys there are really good, so we've all got *excellent* portraits of each other that are, in my NEVER humble opinion, really good. So while we didn't have traditional photos done at any given point, there are a ton of pro-quality portraits of us about the time we got engaged, floating around. I HATE, loathe, and detest formal couplehismomherdadandthegroomsmen type standing group shots, so we're not doing any of those. What we have instead is a kind of photographic scavenger hunt list, with combos of people I'd like candid shots of.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards