Destination Weddings Discussions

NWR: Has anyone ever been......

Featured on the News, or in the Newspaper (other than your Engagement / Wedding announcement)

Just curious.

I remember YEARS ago, I took my then toddler son (who, by the way will be 23 in a couple of weeks) to a Padres baseball game.... he was asleep in my arms and they did a take where the Sportscaster was talking about the game and how it was very intense and had everyone one their feet.... with the exception of my son... as the camera pans from the cheering crowd, to me holding my son asleep in my lap.  :)

What have you ladies got?!?

Re: NWR: Has anyone ever been......

• When I was in grade school, I was in the newspaper. Yea, when I was like ten years old. It was awesome!
  • When I was little my dad took me to the "santa coming to town" and I got to go up on stage... I was like 6.  So the story is my mom specifically told my dad to put my new winter boots on and he didn't... well Guess who was on the front page of the newspaper with her dingy old boots on that I wasn't supposed to wear... ME! My mom saved the newspaper and to this day she has it with my boots circled in the picture! she was soo mad at my dad for it, and she never let him forget it.
    Thats the only time I can really remember being in the paper.
  • I was in the newspaper a couple of times in school one for winning an art competition and one for a science fair project. 
  • Shortly after I moved to the island I got a job at a dermotologist's office before I got on at the hospital and the news was doing a story about staff infections so they came to speak to the doctor about it and they needed someone to pretend to be a patient so I had to pretend I was being seen for a staff infection and the doctor was treating me.  So embarassing, thank god I had just moved here and nobody knew me yet....LOL!!!

• LOL Misty! That is so cute! I love that your Mom kept the article and circled your boots! That cracks me up!

Shelli- That is so cute!

This is barely worth sharing but... I was on the news when I was in Grade 1. There was a bad outbreak of the flu at my school and the local news did a piece on it and filmed my class. I was colouring ;) Other than that I don't think so.
  • I was on tv once during a Mets game,a news station was doing a thing where you honor a  hero(Police officer,Emt Etc) and i wrote a story about my dad who is a police officer and i won,so we were honored during the game they said our names and we were on during a special segment  it was pretty awsome.

• AngelacmAngelacm member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I was just recently in the paper for the lawn bowling event we have been going to every Thursday night as a fundraiser for cystic fibrosis.  Here is the article:

SUPER BOWLING: The collective average age of Stanley Park Lawn Bowling Club players dropped by three or four decades Thursday evening. It will again for three consecutive Thursdays. That's because of Eva Markvoort, who will never be older than 26. She died of cystic fibrosis March 27 after being the subject of Philip Lyall and Nimisha Mukerji's feted documentary movie 65 Red Roses.

Lyall inadvertently spark-plugged the event by bowling with Duncan Gillespie and brothers Andrew and Graham Dalik in Australia, where the green-grass sport draws thousands. Gillespie and the Daliks launched a tourney here in 2009, and reportedly raised $11,000 for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Although limited to 128 players, they hope Vancouver Leisure Society events will double that sum this year. Seemingly vying for nuttiest name -- The Big LeBowlski, Dolls With Balls, Irritable Bowl Syndrome -- 32 teams feasted on dogs and burgers donated by Score on Davie restaurant before bowling.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Stockwell+reveals+American/3260144/story.html#ixzz0uoNjdsCK

And here is the picture.  I'm the one on the far right.  Our team is called "Bowl-evard of Broken Dreams" :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I actually was on a reality tv show, so my face is all over the internet... but here's an article that I found in the Lawrence Kansas newspaper...it's still online! Check it out! 

• Oh my gosh, Randi, that is awesome!!!  I've always secretly wanted to be on a reality tv show!  Did you have fun?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lol, it was fun sometimes, sometimes not so much...lol But it was an experience, thats for sure! :)
  • I've been on both ends. The first time was senior year in High School, they had a national book fair and they selected three schools nation wide to ask a question to the president of the Dominican Republic. So my school got picket, and I was class president so I got picked. So I ask my 60 second question, and the next day I was in the front page of a major newspaper, in ugly uniform. I remember thinking that I wanted to go to school in the States, just to avoid having to wear uniform everyday. Mortifying.

After that I've been in the paper a couple more times, but if you google me, chances are the first 200 hits are from my articles behind the news, as a journalist, not as the subject of interest.
    Wedding Countdown TickerWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was in the paper a bunch in high school for sports. 

More recently, say about 4 years ago, the regional news network showed a video of me sitting in my car and texting while doing a "don't text and drive" PSA Embarassed  I actually never saw it but several friends, family members and co-workers did.  I was quite embarassed.
  • The only things I can think of were me being part of a violin trio in high school.  And then recently, I was in the background at an art show opening, playing the violin.
    imageimage
  • My birth announcement was in the local paper with a pic.  Back in the day, they listed the parents, our address, and everything.  Scary!

I was in the local paper when I was about 8 or 9.  It was a pic of me riding a kiddie ride at our town carnival. 

I was in the paper the following year (along with about 10 other kids) for the library's summer reading program.

I was in the local paper again when I received a Kiwanis award at my 8th grade graduation.

That was it for a while.  My soph year of college, I was on the local news.... sort of.  I was in the background and just happened to be marching by when the reporter was filming.  He was doing a piece on our "Take Back the Night" march. 

I actually did an interview on the growing trend of DW's for one of the bigger newspapers here in Chicago and had quite a few quotes, etc in there.  The thing that got me mad was that the reporter wrote that Eric & I were paying for all our guests' accommodations & flights (which we could NEVER afford) so I couldn't tell anyone about it.  The last thing I wanted was to be expected to pay for 40+ people to vacation in Savannah.  lol  The reporter was nice & sent me a copy of the article and it's tucked away in our wedding box somewhere.
  • My FI and I were on TV during a Caps game!  My uncle recorded it and sent me a screen shot.  I was really glad I told the truth about why I needed to leave work early -- we must have been on TV for a while, because everyone in my office was telling me they saw us!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 154 Invited image 60 Ready to Party! image 84 Party Poopers image 10 MIA
    RSVP Date:February 14, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards