Nevada-Las Vegas

A Reeeeeeally Dumb Question

So I've been watching the Cashman videos at Manadalay and I'm just wondering when you actually sign the marriage license? Is it not something that's done during the ceremony? And if it's done beforehand, are you legally married before the ceremony? Apologies if this is obvious to everyone else, but I always thought that the signing of the license is what makes it legal.
2 IVFs & 1 FET. Welcome home baby girl!

Re: A Reeeeeeally Dumb Question

• edited December 2011
    I believe it is after the ceremony....
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • edited December 2011
    When I worked as a wedding coordinator,I am pretty sure all of the brides and grooms signed it after the ceremony.
  • threemarie24threemarie24 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We never signed the actual wedding Cert. Just the witnesses and the paster had to. We got all of the paperwork a few days before hand and only signed that stuff. --and they signed just before the ceremony, since we had time. I have heard of others singing just after. 

I believe you are not actually married until the paster/witnesses sign and send it into the county you are married in. :) 
    imageimage

Congrats to my super sweet BFPB, veronicafvr, She's a SEP '11 momma

Married bio ? follow my boring blog Follow Me on Pinterest

• Sloane99Sloane99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks ladies, that makes sense. So do get any documentation that I would need to change my name and everything?

Since I'm in Canada marriages done in the U.S. are legal/recognized here, but I don't think we have to send anything in. I will check with my province on that one.

2 IVFs & 1 FET. Welcome home baby girl!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in Canada too & in Ontario you'll need a copy of your marriage licence to change your name.  I suggest making several copies & bring them with you.  Most (if not all) offices will take that copy.
  • edited December 2011
    Did you request addtional copies when you went to the clark county office or did you request them after you were married?
  • edited December 2011
    You have to do it after you are married. The Officiant sends in the signed paperwork. They will explain all of that at the time you get your marriage license. 
  • keana123keana123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FYI - not a dumb question at all. Thanks for asking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards