Wedding Reception Forum

Fundraising

I do a lot of volunteering for different animal causes. I was thinking about putting out a collection box or dish at each table. The proceeds would go to a local organization. Am I asking for to much? Yes we will have a cash bar because we're paying for the whole thing.

Re: Fundraising

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_fundraising?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:db198164-a94c-4de7-be8b-4642f4e6609cPost:31a97c42-969a-4d94-8409-5c3274b16c39">Fundraising</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do a lot of volunteering for different animal causes. I was thinking about putting out a collection box or dish at each table. The proceeds would go to a local organization. Am I asking for to much? Yes we will have a cash bar because we're paying for the whole thing.
    Posted by Brattie996[/QUOTE]

I think your guests paying for your wedding gift and their own alcohol to drink at the wedding is enough. Whenever I see the word "fundraiser" come up on these sties, I automatically think Tacky..
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If you want raise money for these charities, do it on its own day with its own mission.  Your wedding day ain't the time or the place.  I mean it.
  • This is just an awful idea.  I donate regularly to causes that are important to me.  And I encourage others to donate regularly to causes that are important to them.  But why should I donate to a cause that is important to you, but not necessarily to me?

I have to admit:  we generally give a check for a wedding gift.  If I saw this at your wedding, I'd be very inclined take my check out of the card and add a note telling you that I've donated to MY favorite charity as my wedding gift to you.  

Your wedding shouldn't become a fundraiser for any reason.  And frankly, I'm not crazy about the cash bar either.  To do that PLUS fundraise makes it even more egregious.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Yes you're asking too much.  Your intentions are good, but you can't and shouldn't try to force your guests to donate money to the causes that you love.  If you want to raise money for charity, that's fine, but don't do it at your wedding where your guests will feel obligated to give.  They will find it rude and tacky.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your guests shouldn't have to open their wallets at an event you are hosting.  Not to pay for their drinks, not to donate to charity, not to dance with the bride and groom, nothing.  If you go through with both the fundraising and the cash bar, that is all anyone will remember about your wedding.

If you like, you can spread via word of mouth that you'd prefer a donation to said charity over wedding gifts.  But that's only if people ask what you'd like.  That's about as far as you can take it without majorly stepping on some toes.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards