May 2012 Weddings

Hair Removal for Hobbits?

As the title suggests, I am Lebanese.  I have hobbit legs and feet, I pluck my eyebrows everyday (I would have a full blown uni in a week otherwise), armpits, nether regions, all of it is more upkeep than the average person.  I used to shave, but I'd be spiky within hours.  I got an epilator which worked fantastically (I used it on my legs and armpits) and I stayed "smooth" for about 1-2 weeks with that.  Unfortunately, it hurts so bad, I can't do it frequently enough to keep up.  When I shave "down there" it's like sand paper the next day and I can't shave again for AT LEAST a week, otherwise I'm a bloody mess.  I know most people don't worry about hair removal, but for me, it's actually a legit concern that requires it's own check on my Wedding To Do List.  Suggestions please?!
May 2012 Nesties March Siggy Challenge: Furbabies imageimageAnniversary

Re: Hair Removal for Hobbits?

• laser hair removal. I am italian. So i have very dark hair. I get it done every 4 months and the hair grows back thinner every time. but it takes a long long time. Its about 10 mins of pain for 4 months of hairless armpits, sideburns, and woman area.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_hair-removal-for-hobbits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:2668bf29-e2d7-4b3b-88e4-e65fc59442eePost:f7649fea-c3a7-4c54-8224-f30ca8e7384f">Re: Hair Removal for Hobbits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]laser hair removal. I am italian. So i have very dark hair. I get it done every 4 months and the hair grows back thinner every time. but it takes a long long time. Its about 10 mins of pain for 4 months of hairless armpits, sideburns, and woman area.
    Posted by XxKrazy4u[/QUOTE]

<div>Isn't that expensive?</div>
  • Have you tried waxing? It's not as painful or expensive. I too have hair issues which is very dark, very thick, and grows super fast. Waxing seems to be working very well for me.
  • I agree, laser hair removal would be great if you have the money, but otherwise waxing.  I'm pretty hairy, too (lucky to be blond) but waxing removes all the hairs and keeps it gone for as long as possible.  I typically wax my eyebrows/lip.  Otherwise, I use Nair on my bikini line & stomach (TMI, I know...).  It works well too, lasts longer than shaving but not as long as waxing.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I recently started waxing for the wedding, just the brows and chin (thanks mom) but have not moved up to pit, legs or the "patch", I shave them.  which i hate doing.  I am so afraid of how bad it will hurt.  Laser isn't even an option for me, blonde/red hair, they say the pigment is to light.  My advice, go for the wax... from what i can tell it lasts a while, doesn't hurt as bad as you might think - it is very quick, 5 seconds of pain and then gone.  I pray the same for the other areas - I am seriously considering trying for summer ... did i mention i hate shaving. Good luck, may your day be wonderful.
  • I've been considering Nair... I've used it before and I remember it only gets like 50% of the hair that's there.  If I shave afterwards, it isn't so spiky as it grows back I guess...  I have waxed before, I pretty much have the facial hair under control via waxing/plucking, but waxing larger areas doesn't seem to work for me- the hairs are so thick, they're like wire (I'm sorry this is getting so graphic) and the wax just doesn't seem to be strong enough (I'm LOLing at my misfortune right now).  I definitely want to pursue the laser hair removal, but I don't think I can afford it before the wedding- we are already 30%(ish) over budget.  This might need to be on the post-wedding/married life agenda.
  • I've tried pretty much everything so I'll give my two cents!

Waxing works the best for down there, hands down. I have recently been shaving to save money, and it's been okay since I've used TendSkin roll on after shave serum to prevent ingrowns. 

I've tried removal creams like nair and veet for down there and my underarms and even the sensitive skin versions aren't gentle enough for my skin, I always break out in a rash and the hair is never fully gone. If you choose to try one of these I would test a small patch of skin first like it suggests to because otherwise you may end up in a painful mess! 

I got a living social deal for underarm laser hair removal and I'm very pleased with it. I only got 6 sessions for it (not bad for $99) and while the hair is back it's a lot thinner and easy to maintain. Before if I tried to shave every day or even every other day I would end up in a bloody mess too like you, so I've been there! Keep an eye out for groupon and living social deals because they come around frequently. 

Good luck! 
  • Laser hair only works on some hair/skin types. I have dark course hair and it only made it grow back thicker...(even though everyone said its the perfect type for laser), so I switched to electrolosis and its awesome! (my face has 0 regrowth and its only 20$ every 2 weeks, cheaper then lazer was!! But it takes longer to get results as they only do a little at a time). At this point right before the wedding I wouldnt try either of these as both take time to get good results best case scenerio, I would wax. You could try nair or veet, but it sounds like you might have sensitive skin, and I reacted really bad to both of those, I got some was strips for now till the wedding since shaving lasts less then a day for me. (wax lasts about 3 days for me unless I do it all the time, then it starts lasting longer).

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_hair-removal-for-hobbits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:2668bf29-e2d7-4b3b-88e4-e65fc59442eePost:115b943d-02af-46ef-a2ca-71e5355d709c">Re: Hair Removal for Hobbits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Laser hair only works on some hair/skin types. I have dark course hair and it only made it grow back thicker...(even though everyone said its the perfect type for laser), so I switched to electrolosis and its awesome! (my face has 0 regrowth and its only 20$ every 2 weeks, cheaper then lazer was!! But it takes longer to get results as they only do a little at a time). At this point right before the wedding I wouldnt try either of these as both take time to get good results best case scenerio, I would wax. You could try nair or veet, but it sounds like you might have sensitive skin, and I reacted really bad to both of those, I got some was strips for now till the wedding since shaving lasts less then a day for me. (wax lasts about 3 days for me unless I do it all the time, then it starts lasting longer).
    Posted by toothpastechica[/QUOTE]

This is me exactly.  Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards