Moms and Maids

Looking for opinions

So, for hairstyles for the wedding, I am planning on suprising my fiance with wearing my hair down.  Its long and thick, I just want it up and away from my face but I am going to wear it half up and down to make him happy.  I have a veil to wear.  My question is, what do I do about my bridesmaids, I have 6 and want to tell them do whatever they want, as long as its up, because I like the way that looks.  But I dont want to seem too controlling, they are wearing matching dresses and shoes (in a dark purple - lapis according to David's Bridal). I also have a flower girl, and I think Im going to buy her a tiara to wear in her hair. 
Anyways, might seem silly, but was hoping for some feedback or suggestions.  Would it look ok with all the girls, some up, some down some half and half?

Thanks!
rA Anniversary
Follow Me on Pinterest
100 books in 2012 - progress 35/100 my read shelf:
Missy's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Looking for opinions

• edited December 2011
    Please don't do that.  Let everyone wear the style that they are comfortable and look beautiful in.  Some people look horrible with their hair up, some feel stupid dressed up with their hair down, and some people have hair that is very difficult to put up at all.  No one is going to mistake who YOU are because of your hairstyle...I promise!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Please do not dictate how your BMs should wear their hair. Let them do their hair in a way that makes them feel comfortable. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011

I don't think it would look strange at all for everyone to have a different hairstyle - whether its up, down, half up, etc.  In fact, I like the variety!

Also, the girls will look and feel much better in a hairstyle they love.  And that in turn will translate to happier friends, more smiles and better pictures!!!

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Both weddings I have been in I was told, anyway as long as its up. 
    I didnt mind because I like my hair professionally done up as its so thick I dont do it myself.
    But wanted everyone to feel most comfortable and didnt want to seem like a control freak, same dress, shoes, hair, etc.

Thanks for the input!
    rA Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Missy's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    I am also of the same thought to let everyone wear a style they are comfortable in.  My daughter-in-law to be is going to let her brides maids wear what they are comfortable with.  The tiara sounds adorable!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    What I am doing is I told them to atleast have curl and keep it out of there face, so what they do from there is all up to them.  I don't think all different hairstyles would look bad.
  • KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I HATE wearing my hair up, no matter who does it for me (myself or hair stylist).  I look at myself with hair up and it makes my face look bigger.

Don't tell them how to wear their hair.  Let them decide. 
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • BunniKakesBunniKakes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ask them - do it individually and only if you sincerely want an honest answer. 'How were you planning on wearing your hair?'

I have three bridesmaids. After my hair/makeup trial, I gave them all the *option* to get in on using the woman doing my hair and makeup. I was very clear with them that I couldn't cover the fee and I was only giving them an opportunity, not a passive-aggressive request. All three decided to do their own hair and makeup. 

A month before the wedding, my 'most experienced' bridesmaid started a conversation among the three and they agreed to wear pearl necklaces and half-up hair. I have an excessive love of symmetry - which they know - and this made me happy, but I *did not* ask them to do it.

Wanting things to look a certain way after investing so much time, energy, effort, money, etc into planning a single day does not make you a bad person. Being unreasonable about getting your way on it might make you an unpopular one.

I don't know you. I don't know your bridesmaids. It might matter to you. That fact alone would not make you a bridezilla. Bring it up to gauge opinions, but recognize you might not get your way.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    @Bunni - Thank you!!
    I also have a love for symmetry, which I know my MOH knows, so Im leaving it in her capable hands to scope out the girls and how they want to have their hair done.  I took someone elses advice on this topic and just said, it has to be away from their faces.  I am going to give (as part of their present) matching earrings and a necklace.  I think giving them the option will be the best route.

Thanks for the input!
    rA Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • EnamiEnami member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd say tell them something general, like; keep it out of your face, keep hair accesories to what was decided beforehand, things like that. But I think saying do what you want as long as its up/half up isn't being to controlling at all. If any have issues, you can always be flexible.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_looking-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:f16be613-8990-4d57-9802-94f50199ef75Post:556e73d8-b761-41a3-9966-a26bf5e054a1">Re: Looking for opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]What I am doing is I told them to atleast have curl and keep it out of there face, so what they do from there is all up to them.  I don't think all different hairstyles would look bad.
    Posted by mehgan11[/QUOTE]
    You do realize that some people (like me) have hair that won't curl at gunpoint, right?  So you're forcing those people to either spend a ton of money on a hairdo, or accept that their hair is going to look awful within about 30 minutes.  Way to go.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards