Massachusetts-Boston

Live music and DJ recommendations on a budget

Hi
We are looking for a Boston DJ and a small two or three piece for live music for our wedding. 
We are on a tight budget. Is it possible to get a good DJ for under $1700 in the Boston area?
Also for some live ceremony music does anyone know of some good student musicians or inexpensive options?
Thanks!

Re: Live music and DJ recommendations on a budget

• edited December 2011
    You can definitely get a good DJ in Boston for that price. The girls here can give you great suggestions... One is to check out Curtis Knight DJs. They have several DJs and a lot of them have gotten good reviews here.

For student musicians, check out Berklee College of Music and New England Conservatory's websites.
  • njlfrednjlfred member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out DJ Ken Drew - his prices are very reasonable!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using 5 Star Events, the DJ/owner is Greg Hodges.  He's great, and right around that price.  He had some cheaper packages too!  Very easy to work with!

Can't give any tips about the live musicians though
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using curtis knight, we are using Mark Cherone and we love him!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bmoruzzibmoruzzi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DJ John Cristoferi out of Brockton.  I'm paying $800 for 5 hours.  All the student musicians that contacted me from www.gigmaster.com and berklee and NE Conservatory were way out of my price range.  Typically they want $200/musician/hour.  So, if you're looking for a 4 piece band, you're looking at $800/hr.  
  • edited December 2011
    CURTIS KNIGHT!!! We used Curtis and Anna (owners) and they were amazing! I had seen them do a handful of other weddings and the dance floor was packed all night long. We extended our reception b/c people were having so much fun!  From the minute you meet them, you will love them!  They are so thorough at the first visit...you'll feel so secure in your decision.

Not to mention that they put together a montage of the photos they took throughout the night that they put to music and they mailed us after the wedding. It was a great surprise!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm putting in my vote for BeatTrain DJs!
  • edited December 2011
    Def. check out Ramu and the Crew!!!!  Ramu is below your budget, too!  I think we booked him last summer and it was $1300 for 5 hrs INCLUDING FREE uplighting!!!  His reviews are awesome and I love how he gives real video clips of the events he's done.  Can't wait to see him do his thing at our wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amylee545amylee545 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    The highschool I went to is known for their orchestra... Whitinsville Christian School... they are really hard core about it and have some really talented students there. And that is who we will be using. We are getting a quartet for the ceremony and cocktail hour, and it is costing us $300, plus 50cents per mile they have to travel. 

Definitely worth checking them out! I'm sure if you wanted, you'd be able to hear them play before signing on with them. But trust me when I say that the strings program at WCS is phenomenal.

You can call 508-234-811 ext. 15 and talk to Tammy or Monica, or email  sdunlap@wcs.mec.edu

goodluck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards