Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake-only dessert option

My venues has two packages one has the cake and other dessert options and the one I went with, as price worked better, only give the cake as dessert.  Do you think people will care, should I not bug out about this?  I keep going back and forth over it.
Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Re: Cake-only dessert option

• edited December 2011
    As long as the cake tastes good, I think it's absolutely okay to serve that alone for dessert.
  • jeanna85jeanna85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Maybe you can do a cake with different flavors on different tiers (2-3 flavors) so everyone will be happy?
    Photobucket
  • UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nah, no worries about it...cake is the only dessert option we're doing.  We'll have 2 different flavors, though.
  • edited December 2011
    Most weddings I have attended have only cake but with a couple of different flavors. This is what we will be doing for our wedding as well.
  • amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think just having cake is fine.  If you really feel that you need something else maybe think about having a food related favor such as candy or cookies for each guest. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a fruit display in addiiton to the cake.  Just a little extra something for people after a heavy meal in case they don't want cake, but a lot cheaper than a full extra dessert.
  • melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually WANTED just cake for dessert, but the package comes with a dessert option and, since it's Thanksgiving weekend up here the weekend we get married, my fiance liked the addition of pumpkin pie to top off the full traditional Thanksgiving meal. 

I will glare at people if they eat pie and NOT cake, however. ;)
    10-10-10
  • edited December 2011
    I am considereing different flavors that way you can please everyone.  The other package is $25 more per head and I think that is a bit too much just for some extra food choices.  Thanks for making me feel better about teh decision!
  • bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For decades cake was the only dessert choice...heck in the 50's, it WAS the reception menu!  LOL   So only serving wedding cake is just fine and dandy. Additional cake flavors, fruit or ice cream is a nice addition.
  • edited December 2011
    I personally never understood the "dessert" options.  I had always thought that was what the cake was for.  I personally think it's kind of silly to have dessert and THEN have the cake.  But that might be beuacsue I have never really been into the whole "deseert" thing.....never had desserts after meals growing up, and so the concept to me is a little, weird.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Jami-LynnJami-Lynn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We altered our menu to have only cake.  I felt that since we were spending so much on a great cake, everyone should get a change to enjoy it.  I don't understand why the cake serving gets left until half the guests are gone home and everyone is full from eating a huge meal. 

We are having coconut cake with mango buttercream filling
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm only having cake.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks I am feeling much better about our decision.  Plus our cake is coming from a well known bakery in our area that people love, they should enjoy that.  And the hall places fruit and whipped cream on the plate with the cake.  The other option offers more apps and desserts but I can't justify $25/head for that.  They will have more then enough food, and the food there is amazing!
  • edited December 2011
    our venue offers Cake or a Chocolate Factory (chocloate fountain with fruites and other items to dip in the chocolate).

We picked the Cake option but also included the Chocolate factory as we needed to meet an F&B Min and with out it we wouldn't have meet the Min!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • beamer84beamer84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding where there was dessert, cake, and a chocolate fountain! It was decadent, but as a guest I would have been totally fine with just a slice of the cake.

We're doing just cake for dessert.
  • edited December 2011
    Cake is dessert.  You're fine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards