June 2012 Weddings

Is anyone having a scripture theme?

If you are, is your reading going to be the verses around it? What is your scripture theme?

We are thinking of having Psalm 127: 1: Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.

I am just not sure what reading we should do with that. I was thinking we could just do the scripture surrounding it, but I am not sure I want to do that. THoughts?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?

• We're not having a scripture "theme" persay, but our two readings are Genesis 2:18-24 and Ephesians 5:25-33.
  • We're not doing a theme either but we have our readings picked. I didn't really know about a scripture theme
  • We're not having a "theme," but the scripture reading is going to be special to me for a reason that only sorority sisters would understand. :)
  • First reading is the one in Genesis where God makes a suitable partner for man (ie takes the rib from Adam and makes Eve) and it ends with "this is why a man will leave his family and cling to his wife" or something like that.  Second reading is Corinthians, the "love is patient, love is kind" plus a good chunk before that.  It's my favorite.  The Gospel is from Matthew, it's basically Jesus's take on the Genesis reading we did and he talks about what God joins together, no man must separate.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:61ce1c3d-1802-4506-bd8e-93ac2456976b">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]First reading is the one in Genesis where God makes a suitable partner for man (ie takes the rib from Adam and makes Eve) and it ends with "this is why a man will leave his family and cling to his wife" or something like that.  Second reading is Corinthians, the "love is patient, love is kind" plus a good chunk before that.  It's my favorite.  The Gospel is from Matthew, it's basically Jesus's take on the Genesis reading we did and he talks about what God joins together, no man must separate.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

I like how everything ties together. Nice work!! I am going to have to look up the verse about what God joins together, no man must separate.... we are having a covenant marriage, so that would be really fitting!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:cb90cf02-38f1-4fa1-a9fb-4197a8185987">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme? : I like how everything ties together. Nice work!! I am going to have to look up the verse about what God joins together, no man must separate.... we are having a covenant marriage, so that would be really fitting!
    Posted by chelseakopperud[/QUOTE]

Silly question, wha tis a covenant marriage?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:877c6bf7-525f-4cd1-90fc-086d5208718c">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme? : Silly question, wha tis a covenant marriage?
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

MN has 2 marriage lisences available..... one is the standard lisence and the other is the covenant marriage lisence. With the covenant marriage, you have to have at least 12 hours of pre-marriage counseling, and it is a lifelong committment, it is almost impossible to get divorced. There are tons of hoops to jump through to get divorced. Since we are getting married FOREVER, we chose this route.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:188b370b-c81b-44d1-82ae-2a9906332139">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme? : MN has 2 marriage lisences available..... one is the standard lisence and the other is the covenant marriage lisence. With the covenant marriage, you have to have at least 12 hours of pre-marriage counseling, and it is a lifelong committment, it is almost impossible to get divorced. There are tons of hoops to jump through to get divorced. Since we are getting married FOREVER, we chose this route.

That's awesome! KY only has one marriage license.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:188b370b-c81b-44d1-82ae-2a9906332139">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme? : MN has 2 marriage lisences available..... one is the standard lisence and the other is the covenant marriage lisence. With the covenant marriage, you have to have at least 12 hours of pre-marriage counseling, and it is a lifelong committment, it is almost impossible to get divorced. There are tons of hoops to jump through to get divorced. Since we are getting married FOREVER, we chose this route.

That is fantastic.  I wish all marriages had to be like that.  But that would never fly in this country :) Nowadays you can get a divorce if you feel like it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:9199a1c6-ba64-4456-97e0-a996bd5e24a9">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme? : That's awesome! KY only has one marriage license.
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think only like 4-5 states do covenant marriage. I think its cool that it is an option for us. My marriage is between us and God, but since we need to follow the laws of the the state and US, I dont see any harm in "checking the box" for the covenant marriage since that is what we are promising to God anyway!
  • L&J2012L&J2012 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I think that's an interesting reflection on marriage these days. Marriage is supposed to be a lifelong commitment, no matter how you get married. It's kind of sad that marriage these days isn't taken as seriously as it should be. I personally think it should be more difficult to get a divorce than it currently is for non-covenant marriages; then people will really stop to think before they rush into anything! I always feel so bad for kids that are caught up in their parents' divorce. ETA: to add a sentence.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:691fe593-7c52-4f82-8244-08183530b5b2">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that's an interesting reflection on marriage these days. Marriage is supposed to be a lifelong commitment, no matter how you get married. It's kind of sad that marriage these days isn't taken as seriously as they should be. I personally think it should be more difficult to get a divorce than it currently is for non-covenant marriages; then people will really stop to think before they rush into anything!
    Posted by L&J2012[/QUOTE]

Agreed
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:691fe593-7c52-4f82-8244-08183530b5b2">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that's an interesting reflection on marriage these days. Marriage is supposed to be a lifelong commitment, no matter how you get married. It's kind of sad that marriage these days isn't taken as seriously as it should be. I personally think it should be more difficult to get a divorce than it currently is for non-covenant marriages; then people will really stop to think before they rush into anything! I always feel so bad for kids that are caught up in their parents' divorce. ETA: to add a sentence.
    Posted by L&J2012[/QUOTE]

I couldnt agree more. My church elders are currently talking and praying on making covenant marriage the only option if you want to get married in my church. I think its a great idea. Pastor said he would probably do less weddings because of it, but he would rather that than marry someone who ends up getting divorced (with abuse and cheating situaions as exceptions of course).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:1ec24c81-5de7-4de6-be2c-ee6dfa1c2808">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme? : I couldnt agree more. My church elders are currently talking and praying on making covenant marriage the only option if you want to get married in my church. I think its a great idea. Pastor said he would probably do less weddings because of it, but he would rather that than marry someone who ends up getting divorced (with abuse and cheating situaions as exceptions of course).

We have to get a special dispensation from our bishop to get married since ill be 19. I was worried because I wasnt sure how complicated it'd be but my priest took care of it
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:759e499f-40de-42a2-9c52-0afd2d6c5a79">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme? : We have to get a special dispensation from our bishop to get married since ill be 19. I was worried because I wasnt sure how complicated it'd be but my priest took care of it
    Posted by Zimsgirl[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my church/pastor wouldn't care about your age- their only concern would be your committment to a lifelong marriage and your relationship with Jesus Christ.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:e0246994-4eb1-4e0e-a833-779203c35f52">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme? : Yeah, my church/pastor wouldn't care about your age- their only concern would be your committment to a lifelong marriage and your relationship with Jesus Christ.

Yeah i momentarily freaked out but it got worked out. I was so worried because we had all of our vendors. Invite PDF ordered, deposits, etc
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:784f4740-c2d7-43c2-9c02-84534f978303">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're not having a "theme," but the scripture reading is going to be special to me for a reason that only sorority sisters would understand. :)
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]
    We're not having a theme either, but I also have a reading that is special to myself and my sorority sisters. I'm having one of my BMs who is my sorority sister read it. I do have a feeling that it's the same scripture for a lot of NPC sororities!
    Photobucket
  • I actually have been thinking about using a  theme for our scriptures/readings. We're not sure how many we want, or if we want Pastor to start the theme and carry it through with our readers and finish with our vows... Still working on all of it....I made FI a "Romantic Calendar" when we started dating, and each month has a verse from 1 Cor 13.... And in my 2,002 Romantic Ideas book his birth year is to read 1 Cor 13 together. I think we'll incorporate that chapter at the very least.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Visit The Knot!    Visit The Nest!   
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:c1ac96d4-f8a6-4e2d-bf42-8a7874d18ad6">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually have been thinking about using a  theme for our scriptures/readings. We're not sure how many we want, or if we want Pastor to start the theme and carry it through with our readers and finish with our vows... Still working on all of it....I made FI a "Romantic Calendar" when we started dating, and each month has a verse from 1 Cor 13.... And in my 2,002 Romantic Ideas book his birth year is to read 1 Cor 13 together. I think we'll incorporate that chapter at the very least.
    Posted by LoveBirds+ERC[/QUOTE]

That is SO cute!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:4a824309-9d9e-4d11-b987-4351b49de8e8">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme? : We're not having a theme either, but I also have a reading that is special to myself and my sorority sisters. I'm having one of my BMs who is my sorority sister read it. I do have a feeling that it's the same scripture for a lot of NPC sororities!
    Posted by courtneyclare103[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha, probably. I wonder if they all start in the same verse though!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:1ec24c81-5de7-4de6-be2c-ee6dfa1c2808">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme? : I couldnt agree more. My church elders are currently talking and praying on making covenant marriage the only option if you want to get married in my church. I think its a great idea. Pastor said he would probably do less weddings because of it, but he would rather that than marry someone who ends up getting divorced (<strong>with abuse and cheating situaions as exceptions of course</strong>).

Those are the only real reasons people should get divorced IMO.  Maybe people would try harder to make things work if they had covenant marriages.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:ab782e29-2b02-48dd-81b1-21452031cb73">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme? : Those are the only real reasons people should get divorced IMO.  Maybe people would try harder to make things work if they had covenant marriages.  
    Posted by Shelly527IN[/QUOTE]

I couldnt agree more.
  • edited February 2012
    Wow-- I have to say that all the judgmentality of people who have made mistakes and ultimately ended up needing a divorce that is going on in this thread is ridiculously offensive. 

Do you realize that not everyone who ends up divorced for a reason other than cheating or abuse "rushed into marriage" to start out with?  Do you really think that people just don't take it seriously? 

I 100% believed that I would stay married to my ex-husband when I married him.  We went through over 30 hours of pre-marital counseling with our pastor and no one around us expressed any doubts as to our relationship.  We were engaged for a year, so it's not like we just hurried through the process or something.  We took it seriously.  Once we were married, we both grew and changed in ways that neither of us could have ever predicted.  We TRIED to grow together, tried to accommodate each other's changes but it just did not work.  We did 2 hours of marriage counseling each week for over a year, with no improvement in our relationship.  Ultimately, we were both really unhappy and no amount of "taking it more seriously" was going to change that.  No amount of "trying to make it work" was going to allow us to leave happy, healthy, fulfilled lives together.  We were miserable together, and miserable at the idea of being divorced, but ultimately made the right decision for our lives when we chose to get divorced.

I am SUCH a healthy, happy person now.  I could never be who I am today without having gone through what I went through.  I do NOT regret marrying him.  I do NOT regret getting divorced.

But I seriously, seriously resent people who are making broad, generalized statements as if people just don't care about getting married.  As if people really ever get married thinking "oh well, if it doesn't work, we'll just divorce" -- that's not reality!  People get married assuming it will be forever.. but for some people, it doesn't pan out that way, and they are no worse of people because of it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:76e961b2-008e-4422-a0e4-3f547fff88f0">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow-- I have to say that all the judgmentality of people who have made mistakes and ultimately ended up needing a divorce that is going on in this thread is ridiculously offensive.  Do you realize that not everyone who ends up divorced for a reason other than cheating or abuse "rushed into marriage" to start out with?  Do you really think that people just don't take it seriously?  I 100% believed that I would stay married to my ex-husband when I married him.  We went through over 30 hours of pre-marital counseling with our pastor and no one around us expressed any doubts as to our relationship.  We were engaged for a year, so it's not like we just hurried through the process or something.  We took it seriously.  Once we were married, we both grew and changed in ways that neither of us could have ever predicted.  We TRIED to grow together, tried to accommodate each other's changes but it just did not work.  We did 2 hours of marriage counseling each week for over a year, with no improvement in our relationship.  Ultimately, we were both really unhappy and no amount of "taking it more seriously" was going to change that.  No amount of "trying to make it work" was going to allow us to leave happy, healthy, fulfilled lives together.  We were miserable together, and miserable at the idea of being divorced, but ultimately made the right decision for our lives when we chose to get divorced. I am SUCH a healthy, happy person now.  I could never be who I am today without having gone through what I went through.  I do NOT regret marrying him.  I do NOT regret getting divorced. But I seriously, seriously resent people who are making broad, generalized statements as if people just don't care about getting married.  As if people really ever get married thinking "oh well, if it doesn't work, we'll just divorce" -- that's not reality!  People get married assuming it will be forever.. but for some people, it doesn't pan out that way, and they are no worse of people because of it.
    Posted by SoSaysTara[/QUOTE]

Actually this thread is very supportive of the way you went about things... you had pre marriage counseling, you tried to make it work, you went through counseling before going to the lawyer.... that was all anyone said in this whole thread, that people should try, and REALLY try. You did try according to your post and we commend you for that. No where in this thread is there any bashing of people who are divorced.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:8d381bad-1f5c-4d95-a81a-6881ff3fffd3">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme? : Actually this thread is very supportive of the way you went about things... you had pre marriage counseling, you tried to make it work, you went through counseling before going to the lawyer.... that was all anyone said in this whole thread, that people should try, and REALLY try. You did try according to your post and we commend you for that. No where in this thread is there any bashing of people who are divorced.

There may not be bashing of people who are divorced, but there were comments from several people agreeing that the only acceptable situation for divorce is cheating or abuse.  While I agree that there have obviously been high-profile marriages with people who seemingly just threw it all away (Kim Kardashian, anyone?) sometimes people who truly do give it their very best shot just don't work out. 

I agree that Tara did, what I consider to be, the "right thing" because she tried everything she could to make things work, and divorce was genuinely her last resort.  But many of the comments made in this thread appear to others as lumping anyone divorced from non-cheating, non-abusive spouses into the same group of "marriage failure."  And this really just isn't the case.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:94b1c0c8-4d6b-4811-bc71-1b7c4c6eaf86">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme? : There may not be bashing of people who are divorced, but there were comments from several people agreeing that the only acceptable situation for divorce is cheating or abuse.  While I agree that there have obviously been high-profile marriages with people who seemingly just threw it all away (Kim Kardashian, anyone?) sometimes people who truly do give it their very best shot just don't work out.  I agree that Tara did, what I consider to be, the "right thing" because she tried everything she could to make things work, and divorce was genuinely her last resort.  But many of the comments made in this thread appear to others as lumping anyone divorced from non-cheating, non-abusive spouses into the same group of "marriage failure."  And this really just isn't the case.
    Posted by DrPB2b13[/QUOTE]

I think that comes down to looking at it from different perspectives.... I am a Christian and ending a marriage for anything other than abuse or unfaithfulness is a sin. That is where I am coming from and my take on it. That is why those two things were mentioned. And if that is offensive then I guess so be it.
  • Chelsea..

The part that is offensive is there part where you say or agree that "maybe people would try harder" if there were covenant marriages.  The implication there is certainly that anyone who is divorced for a reason other than cheating or abuse just didn't "try hard enough" or they wouldn't have ended up divorced. Sometimes, it's about way more than simply having not tried hard enough.

You don't have to outright say that you think you are better than someone who has gone through a divorce, it is clearly implied in the words you write.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_is-anyone-having-a-scripture-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:97d881d6-7e9d-4148-8cc3-62189cb6f836Post:117f1d43-73af-47b7-be84-90060699741a">Re: Is anyone having a scripture theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Chelsea.. The part that is offensive is there part where you say or agree that "maybe people would try harder" if there were covenant marriages.  The implication there is certainly that anyone who is divorced for a reason other than cheating or abuse just didn't "try hard enough" or they wouldn't have ended up divorced. Sometimes, it's about way more than simply having not tried hard enough. You don't have to outright say that you think you are better than someone who has gone through a divorce, it is clearly implied in the words you write.
    Posted by SoSaysTara[/QUOTE]

As I stated previously, there are exception to everything. I dont think its possible to add a disclaimer to everything someone writes to ensure that no one is offended. If you knew me, you would know that I dont think I am better than anyone. I sin just as much as everyone else, more than some less than some, but in the eyes of God all sins are equal. Therefore I am NOT better than anyone.

I stated previously that I think you are the exception- you took the steps to try to work it out, I understand that. When there is a divorce rate in teh USA of 50% (or maybe its higher now) I think there is a problem- again that is not directed at YOU or anyone personally... there is a breakdown of the family in America (and I am a single mom and I am also part of that!!) and it needs to be addressed. That is what we were referring to above. I am sorry we offended you- that was not the intent.
  • One's belief in what is right and wrong is not a statement of who is more important or better than someone else... Chelsea simply believes in marriage for life, and that one shouldn't just walk away from a marriage without making some attempt to make it better. She's already said that sometimes things do not work, even outside of abuse or unfailthfulness. She's not trying to be high and mighty, she's just sharing her opinion, and there is nothing wrong with you sharing yours. The attacks are silly though.

Follow Me on Pinterest

Visit The Knot!    Visit The Nest!   
  • Chelsea: some ideas for you:
    Phil 2:1-4
    Phil 2:13
    Phil 4:13
    Col 3:23
    2 Tim 2:15, 19
    Heb 11:1, 6
    James 4: 13-17
    Isaiah 28:16
    Eph 2:20