Snarky Brides

Question about a wood table and finish

We have this gorgeous MIssion style coffee table that I love.  However, I've noticed large, milky stains on it that I believe are caused by heat. The discolorations are all in areas where we'd leave laptops over night, etc, so I'm pretty sure that's what has caused it.

At this point, I want to fix the table, since there's nothing else wrong with it and I love it.  What are my (easy, if possible) options? Sand and refinish? We live in an apartment, so we're limited in what tools we can use/have available, plus I'm worried about doing anything to it and then messing up the coloration between the legs and tabletop. 

Advice?

(P&R, but I'll be checking back in throughout the day)

Re: Question about a wood table and finish

• SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I think if you are going to refinish the top, you are probably better off refinishing the entire thing so you know it matches. 

You should probably sand and re-stain and then put a good clear coat on it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Ditto Sarah.

My only advice- don't leave it out on your patio to let the stain dry.  Your asshole neighbors might just walk off with it.  Or at least that's what happened when H and I refinished an old coffee table I had. :(
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-wood-table-finish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c58363b2-f528-4a4f-add9-8653f318efb5Post:ce73f750-0660-49c4-bbd0-09c3a02b92db">Re: Question about a wood table and finish</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think if you are going to refinish the top, you are probably better off refinishing the entire thing so you know it matches.  You should probably sand and re-stain and then put a good clear coat on it. 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]
    Grr, this is what I was afraid of. I wish there were a really simple, five minute trick :P
  • What have you tried? Have you tried oiling the table?

It's hard to say what it might need without seeing photos. 
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, probably not, unless you want to tile the top. That could be fun. They sell pre-spaced tiles that you just lay on there and grout. Then you'd have to do some sort of border though. But it would then be heat and water proof.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited January 2012
    Let me try to take pics, Pirate. The table is currently husband-football central, so I might not be able to get in just yet.

I really love the look of the wood, so I'd rather go through the whole restaining process than tile it.

ETA: Here are pics. This is one of the worst offenders. The white is coming up much stronger in the pics, maybe because of the flash. It's just a translucent, milky white blotch on one part of the wood.

• Awesome, thanks!  I will try those things first, and then if they don't work, move on to staining and refinishing. 
  • nhahn2206nhahn2206 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I had the exact same problem on a table I refinished at one point. I believe I read somewhere that you can use mayo (weird, I know), let it sit on the spot, then wipe it away. However, I actually bought a liquid ring remover at a woodworking shop before seeing that.

This is what I bought:

It worked like a charm, and I have a ton leftover. You can order it from that website (I went to the actual store location for it, but it doesn't look like there's one in New Jersey).

ETA: I know that ring remover is pretty expensive, but it's way cheaper than refinishing the table and a whole lot less effort.
    imageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-wood-table-finish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c58363b2-f528-4a4f-add9-8653f318efb5Post:ab72d448-613f-48ec-ab4e-8f6575a00ec5">Re: Question about a wood table and finish</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had the exact same problem on a table I refinished at one point. I believe I read somewhere that you can use mayo (weird, I know), let it sit on the spot, then wipe it away. However, I actually bought a liquid ring remover at a woodworking shop before seeing that. This is what I bought: <a href="http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6517" rel="nofollow">http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6517</a> It worked like a charm, and I have a ton leftover. You can order it from that website (I went to the actual store location for it, but it doesn't look like there's one in New Jersey). ETA: I know that ring remover is pretty expensive, but it's way cheaper than refinishing the table and a whole lot less effort.
    Posted by nhahn2206[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the tip! I'll try the home remedy stuff--lemon juice, mayo--first, then if that doesn't work, I'll give this a try. Sanding can be our last ditch effort.
  • Just make sure that whatever you do--you put a good wax/reconditioner on the table when you're done.  Some of the home remedies, while quite effective, can suck the life out of a table and it will need some TLC after.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • pinterest says mayo, but that's for water rings I think. Not sure if it would work on heat marks like that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_question-wood-table-finish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c58363b2-f528-4a4f-add9-8653f318efb5Post:ae438eab-5a8a-4d92-a45f-19460154b3ca">Re: Question about a wood table and finish</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just make sure that whatever you do--you put a good wax/reconditioner on the table when you're done.  Some of the home remedies, while quite effective, can suck the life out of a table and it will need some TLC after.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>This for sure.  Pledge/Old English etc doesn't count.  </div>
  • Magic Eraser! My mom has an antique hutch in her kitchen and the same thing happened to it. Worked like a charm. As long as your finish is otherwise in good shape, which from the looks of it, it is, it should work.

Try everything before going the refinishing route. I refinish old furniture and other things (wood trim in houses, floors) as a hobby and it's really alot more work than people think. And if the table has any sentimental or monetary value, I recommend paying a professional to refinish it if that ends up being what is required.
  • Oh my god, I would think a Magic Eraser would wreak havoc on the finish.  Seriously, that shiit is caustic.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • When I still worked at Express, we used Magic Eraser on the mannequins to clean them.  One night I used so much, I think it rubbed my fingerprints off. It burns.
  • I'm always weirded out by the magic eraser residue.  What is that? Why does it disintegrate? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards