New Jersey

Our favors: In need of suggestions, advice, etc. (PIP included)

For our favors, we're going to be giving each guest two Ecuadorian cookies in a box.  Each cookie will be individually wrapped in wax paper and then two each will be placed in one of the boxes pictured below and a ribbon will be tied around the box. 

Question #1: What could we put inside of each box to put the cookies on and to pretty it all up a little bit?  Should we put some tissue paper?  Some of that shredded/crinkled paper type stuff?  Something else entirely?

Question #2: We want to include a note with each favor explaining what they are and their significance (FI is Ecuadorian and it's a tradition in his family to have these cookies at important celebrations).  We also want to include a little thank you.  What do you think would be the best way to do this?  Have a little tag pasted or tied to the outside of the box?  Include a note inside the box?  Something else?  Any inspiration pictures?

These are the cookies:

These are the boxes:

Thanks in advance for all of the suggestions everyone!!  :-)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Our favors: In need of suggestions, advice, etc. (PIP included)

• edited December 2011
    We are using the same boxes except in white.  We are wrapping a ribbon of our coordinating color (navy blue) around the box and sealing it with a sticker.  We are not going to tie a bow or anything the ribbon will lay flat and the sticker will hold it closed.  Maybe this will help you a bit; I am not sure. GL
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a similar box and putting a bag of Jordan almonds inside. We are going to include some sort of card or tag inside with the poem that explains the tradition, then a ribbon around the outside sealed with a sticker. I don't think you need tissue or anything else to fill the box, unless you think the cookies will break? It sounds like they will be neatly wrapped and look very nice.
  • jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It might be labor intensive, but would you consider wrapping the cookie or putting it in one of those treat bags? I'm just thinking of how long they might be sitting assembled and that they might have the opportunity to get stale.  I wouldn't want to eat something that was sitting on crinkled paper, but if it were bagged I would.  
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_favors-need-of-suggestions-advice-etc-pip-included?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:39cd6a4e-335b-4050-9b9b-4f20271564f4Post:91c20704-d451-47f1-b09b-cec98b643934">Re: Our favors: In need of suggestions, advice, etc. (PIP included)</a>:
    [QUOTE]It might be labor intensive, but would you consider wrapping the cookie or putting it in one of those treat bags? I'm just thinking of how long they might be sitting assembled and that they might have the opportunity to get stale.  I wouldn't want to eat something that was sitting on crinkled paper, but if it were bagged I would.  
    Posted by jchristel[/QUOTE]
    The cookies actually stay fresh for about 4 weeks, and as I mentioned in my OP they'll each be individually wrapped in wax paper to further ensure freshness. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would say to put the wrapped cookies on some of that shredded crinkle paper (easier to put in a small box than tissue paper), put a note explaining the significance on top of the cookies, and then close the box and wrap it with a bow or bow/sticker combo like PP suggested.  I LOVE the idea of doing cultural cookies as a favor, FI and I actually almost did the same thing (but from our heritages).  Very cute!
  • cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_favors-need-of-suggestions-advice-etc-pip-included?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:39cd6a4e-335b-4050-9b9b-4f20271564f4Post:41df38e7-6dd9-495f-a74c-9dd1994f40b2">Re: Our favors: In need of suggestions, advice, etc. (PIP included)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would say to put the wrapped cookies on some of that shredded crinkle paper (easier to put in a small box than tissue paper), put a note explaining the significance on top of the cookies, and then close the box and wrap it with a bow or bow/sticker combo like PP suggested.  I LOVE the idea of doing cultural cookies as a favor, FI and I actually almost did the same thing (but from our heritages).  Very cute!
    Posted by eleven29[/QUOTE]
    Agree with all of this..and maybe the sticker you use on the outside to secure the ribbon, could say Thank You on it...
    here is some filler shred :<a href="http://www.wholesalecandybox.com/zigfill.html" rel='nofollow'>http://www.wholesalecandybox.com/zigfill.html</a>

You could also put the cookies in a clear bag, instead of was paper and then just put the bag inside the box.. that might look prettier compared to the box filler.
  • StefaniBelStefaniBel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about something like this? I don't know how this kind of paper/plastic is called, but I think it would look nice with your cookies.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_favors-need-of-suggestions-advice-etc-pip-included?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:39cd6a4e-335b-4050-9b9b-4f20271564f4Post:18fdc52c-c627-499e-b2dc-4d81be23164b">Re: Our favors: In need of suggestions, advice, etc. (PIP included)</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about something like this? I don't know how this kind of paper/plastic is called, but I think it would look nice with your cookies.
    Posted by StefaniBel[/QUOTE]
    ooh maybe a paper doily type thing?
  • jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_favors-need-of-suggestions-advice-etc-pip-included?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:39cd6a4e-335b-4050-9b9b-4f20271564f4Post:63845803-cf41-4ae9-825d-a4fb6d288c76">Re: Our favors: In need of suggestions, advice, etc. (PIP included)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our favors: In need of suggestions, advice, etc. (PIP included) : The cookies actually stay fresh for about 4 weeks, and as I mentioned in my OP they'll each be individually wrapped in wax paper to further ensure freshness. 
    Posted by peaches178[/QUOTE]

<div>that's what happens when you look at pictures instead of reading carefully!</div>
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Can I ask where you are getting the cookies? Or are you making then? Also, whats the name of that cookie? Thanks
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_favors-need-of-suggestions-advice-etc-pip-included?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:39cd6a4e-335b-4050-9b9b-4f20271564f4Post:209ef073-3dd6-4830-b7d7-dcda4adadd88">Re: Our favors: In need of suggestions, advice, etc. (PIP included)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can I ask where you are getting the cookies? Or are you making then? Also, whats the name of that cookie? Thanks
    Posted by christin228[/QUOTE]
    They're called alfajores (I guess the best way to describe them is that they are made of two shortbread-like cookies covered in powdered sugar with a thick layer of dulce de leche in between).  The cookies are a popular South American dessert and depending on the country the ingredients differ a bit.

Several restaurants and bakeries in Elizabeth sell them, but one restaurant in particular makes them best (in my opinion, haha).  We asked if they could make them for our wedding and they said they get them from a local couple who does South American desserts, pastries, etc. as a business out of their home.  We got the couple's number, met with them last week, and they're making 340 cookies for us at a really great price considering what they're usually sold for.  :-)   Let me know if you want their information. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_favors-need-of-suggestions-advice-etc-pip-included?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:39cd6a4e-335b-4050-9b9b-4f20271564f4Post:bb14f5a6-ca17-45c1-949d-5a4bb16eedee">Re: Our favors: In need of suggestions, advice, etc. (PIP included)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our favors: In need of suggestions, advice, etc. (PIP included) : that's what happens when you look at pictures instead of reading carefully!
    Posted by jchristel[/QUOTE]
    Haha... happens to me ALL the time!  :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the advice, ladies!  I ordered some crinkle paper from Papermart (the best price for the product and shipping combined) and I like the idea that Giaspo gave of describing the tradition on a little card inside the box and then having a sticker on the outside (I'll probably do something that has our names, wedding date, and "Thank You" on it).  

Thanks again! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards