New York-Long Island

Does anyone else feel...

Does anyone feel like they have few friends? Are there any other brides to be out there that just feel like they have no one to really share their planning experience with and have very few friends?

i grew up in NJ, moved to NY several years ago, and i find that i really have no one i am close with out here in my area...ya know...to go look at dresses with or even shoot ideas to about my wedding. My fiance and I dont have many friends in NY. Everyone we know is in Mass or NJ. we are 30/29 yrs old and all of our friends have kids. I also work a lot right now because we are paying for our wedding. Our social life was great when we were younger but as we get older i find that no one has time anymore to put any effort into a friendship with us. we are constantly bending over backwards for people and constantly getting screwed. we need new friends. nice, fun, normal people, with good personalities...people like us.

But ill put this out there....if anyones interested in getting together, maybe meeting up for drinks or dinner or just maybe becoming friends on Facebook or something first until we get to know one another, im totally down for meeting new friends, LOL!  Especially couples since its hard at our age to meet new friends.

i hope you girls dont think this is odd or weird...but i figured we would at least have something in common...wedding planning.  i feel so lonely and alone in this whole wedding planning process. its just me and my fiance...and thats it.

so if anyones interested... look me up on FB ...Donna Marie Eschrich

Re: Does anyone else feel...

• edited December 2011
    Awh... I feel really badly that your situation is like this... I just added you on FB.

Randi
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • XxKrazy4uXxKrazy4u member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Randi!!!! yeah its kind of a lousy situation. Ive been pretty much been doing things on my own...but him and i have maybe 1 other couple we are friends with. i was hoping we werent the only ones that were in that sort of boat...ya know.
  • edited December 2011
    <3 Just sending some happiness your way!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks Rdomb.... im having such a lousy week LOL
  • edited December 2011
    We have to get you off your crazy work schedule - I saw today - just thinkin about you and hoping you have the energy to get through it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah i happened to have to travel all the way up to Poughkeepsie yesterday. I didnt get home till 8:30 pm lol. I appreciate the facebook adds and i have sent a few messages back and forth. Its nice to know other brides are out there going through the same stresses and stuff i am.

BTW- If any of you are interested. ,... there is a bridal show at the Sheraton Hotel in Smithtown on March 6. Me and my FI are going. Should be a good show. I am not getting married until 5/27/12 but still have a few vendors i am looking for.
    Its a Boscos Wedding showcase
  • edited December 2011
    Moving is really difficult and it's often hard to make "real" friends...not just acquaintances.   So I am so sorry you are feeling sad and isolated.  This should be a time to be excited and energized...Your comment really moved me and I blogged about it today on my site.  

I think you are courageous for expressing yourself here, and you're also taking steps to change your life for the better.   You suggested Facebook, which is a great way to connect.  Another may be Twitter.   What's great about Twitter is that you can find and follow brides in your specific community, and then, if you take time to engage them in dialog, it would lead to friendships. 

Whatever else you do, please don't feel like you are alone.  Many people feel pressure to have huge social lives.  The important thing is that you found a wonderful person to share your life with and that's a great start! 

http://www.GettingMarriedonLongIsland.com

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i read the blog which i thought is totally great because there might be other brides out there in the same boat that i am in and its all part of life i suppose but its also important for us all to know that as women preparing for a very big comittment in our lives that we really arent alone.  i thought for a long time there was just something wrong with me but realized that at 30 people just dont magically appear either in your life as friends....the social atmosphere most of us probably deal with is primarily work.  we have our fiances so there is no need to go to the typical places people go to meet other people (bars, clubs etc)
    so social interactions are so limited...especially thanks to the internet and all these sites which make one on one physical interaction with someone a thing of the past.

i think of all the other women here who might have different things they are dealing with...stress with the wedding, fighting with inlaws, money issues....etc and i think they should know too that there are other women out there going through some of the same issues too.

it took a lot to look at my life and realize that the effort to meet people is my responsibility if im feeling this way. so i decided to seek people out myself. honestly i thought people would think its weird...but i see now that there are people out there who truly understand and i am grateful that there are people who have reached out to me. Cool
  • edited December 2011
    Number 1 I totally understand how you feel.  I am 24 and feel like I don't really have any close friends.  I suffer from lack of girl time quite often.  My fiance wants to sign me up for a lesbian dating site so I can go on girl dates.  So although his heart is in the right place, I don't think I am gonna do that.  : )  I just want someone to go to happy hour or out dancing with.  It is so much harder to cultivate friends as you get older I find.  
    proving the choas theory one day at a time http://emtboyandhislove.weebly.com/ Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ^^^ omg me too...not the lebsian dating site thing...but the dancing and socializing thing. i miss that so much. you are still young though...for me to go out now..i feel like the old person i used to stare at at the bar and club and say to myself "wow, bit old to be going out clubbing"  but i do miss that...and i do miss having the girlfriends around to bond with.
    maybe we can make some sort of girls night out thing....maybe some long island or NY brides to be will want to get together and go for drinks?  if anyone is game let me know.
  • edited December 2011
    Don't worry!! Be happy!! I was really struggling with picking out some bridesmaids since for years we went back and forth between being friends and not friends. I am 26 and a long islander. This is what long island woman do I suppose...be friendly and then not so friendly. So I decided to have my true friends (my brothers) in my bridal party on MY side! I have ONE close girlfriend who is my maid of honor and my 2 brothers on my side. I decided that  if they were sisters this Bridesmaid thing would be a BREEZE for me. So screw tradition and do what you feel like doing on your wedding day. You want men as bridesmaids...DONE!  Always keep your chin up. You are getting married to a wonderful man, I'm sure and some women would KILL for that!
  • bbydoll5bbydoll5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey girls- just reading these posts.  My name is Tish and I grew up on LI.  Alot of my GF's and I have drifted apart due to kids, life etc....  I live in suffolk county and would love to make some new gf's- and meet some new couples for me and the FH to hang with.

Send me a PM and I'll send you my link to my FB page. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards