Moms and Maids

Bridesmaid Dress Alterations

I just took my dress in to be altered and it was WAY more than expected. i was thinking around $30-$40 which was the cost for my last bridesmaid dress alterations, but this one was $70! are any of you paying this? kinda a lot after an already expensive bridesmaid dress.

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Alterations

• KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I paid more than that due to what all had to be done.

Alterations for bridal gowns are normally more than BM dresses.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding gown cost about $300 to be atlered. It's very pricey.

What did they need to do to alter it?
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds pretty cheap to me. My wedding dress is costing me $350 to alter and that was pretty much just to add a bustle. I'd say that you got off pretty easy. 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I say that is reasonable. My wedding dress alterations and bustle cost $275.
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure she's talking about a bridesmaid dress, not a wedding dress...

It depends on what you need done, and where you're doing it.  An independent seamstress will probably offer better prices than a bridal salon (especially a place like David's Bridal, which has notoriously expensive alterations).
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I've paid $125 to alter a $250 bridesmaid's dress.  I'm an odd shape and short, so it needed a lot. 
  • AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on a number of factors. The main ones are your area and how much work you need done. A smaller town is going to be much cheaper than a huge suburb city. Also try to find a local taylor instead of a bridal salon, local taylors are WAY cheaper, my friend had to get some stuff alter for her BM dress and she got quoted about 3 times the amount at the bridal salon than the taylor. 
  • greygarnettgreygarnett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All depends where you go, the seamstress at my dress shop was roughly 20$ an hour for her work and a local taylor I found was only 10$. It depends what you need done and where you go. Some of my girls did it at the dress shop cause they didn't have much to do and it was convenient but my MOH went local because she is a size 4 bust, 8 waist and 10 hips!! So she ended up paying about the same as the other girls since she went with somebody else.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

ditto PPs - the cost can change a lot based on what you need done, but a local seamstress/tailor will definitely be cheaper than a bridal salon.  If you think it's too much then shop around a little

• edited December 2011
    I paid about that to alter a dress for my (now ex) SIL's wedding a few years ago.  It really needed to be altered to fit each girl - it was two piece and both the top and bottom had to be altered.

That being said, there were a few girls who tried to get away with not having it alter.  You could even tell from far away in pictures who had theirs altered and who didn't.  Sometimes it's a necessity- albeit expensive.  Usually you should shop around, get a list of prices (for each change they have to make) and don't go to David's.  Sometimes where you buy the dress is really expensive and it's better to go elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards