Moms and Maids

Moms, Maids, Newbies and Married Old Hags

I'm curious

1. How many weddings had you attended before beginning to plan your own?

2. Have any of your ideas about weddings changed since joining TK and participating in the message boards?

3. Just for fun: What is your favorite wedding movie? Favorite scene?

Re: Moms, Maids, Newbies and Married Old Hags

• I'll play.

1. How many weddings had you attended before beginning to plan your own?  I'm not sure exactly; I know of at least 5 I attended as a child/teen, but there very well may have been others I don't remember.  As an adult I think six before beginning planning; another three during our 1 yr engagement.

2. Have any of your ideas about weddings changed since joining TK and participating in the message boards?  Yes.  I hang out on the etiquette board quite a bit and had never given a thought to a head table.  I never was a fan of cash bars, dollar dances, or HM registries, but my disklike has grown since realizing how they go against etiquette.  And I was one of those dilusional girls who thought a monogrammed BM tote and matching necklace was what you were supposed to get your BMs.. Thankfully I learned that one well before actually buying BM gifts.

3. Just for fun: What is your favorite wedding movie? Favorite scene?  I love the Wedding Date; the scene before the b-party when he doesn't kiss her :-)
  • 1. I've attended a lot of weddings, too many to count. I'm old.

2. Yes. I'm happy to see cookie cutter bms, wedding party dances,  head tables, garter and bouquet tosses are no longer the norm. I might have been disappointed that my daughter ditched all those old traditions if I hadn't read it here first.

3. My Big Fat Greek Wedding is my favorite. I love the scene where the groom's parents are invited to meet the bride's family at  a lavish and loud middle eastern type feast. The bride's brother teaches the groom how to greet the guests in Greek. Groom thinks he is saying 'Please come in (to the house)' when he is actually announcing that he has 3 testicles. This leaves his FILs speechless.

• oo I love My BFG Wedding.  My favorite line is when the greek mother says "the man is the head of the household, but the woman?  She is the neck.  And she can turn the head whichever way she wants"  (I'm paraphrasing - it's been a while since I've seen it)
  • It's one of the very few movies I'll watch over and over again. I've never seen the Wedding Date.

• I am a MOB so DD is getting married in the spring to a wonderful enlisted guy. 1. I did not plan my wedding as my mom did. Strange, now-a-days, but back then she wanted it in their town where they moved when I was an undergraduate. I had never lived there and was an A-type career woman so I just told her to go ahead and plan something traditional. It was perfect! Now I still don't get to plan a wedding as this is DD's wedding. Times change, but that's ok. 2. I have learned so much about how today's brides think from TK. Etiquette hasn't changed for weddings at all, however, just some of expectations. For example: uneven wedding party sides is no big deal. 3. Wedding Crashers. Love all of it.

• 1. How many weddings had you attended before beginning to plan your own? Hmmm...8ish? Somewhere around there...

2. Have any of your ideas about weddings changed since joining TK and participating in the message boards? Some have, some haven't. I've appreciated getting advice on these boards, but I also acknowlege that a) many people have different opinions and b) different social circles have different customs. Some things people think are fine here, I'm not a fan of. Other things people don't like, I'm fine with. But it has opened my eyes to a lot of different ideas and perspectives and given me some good ideas about ettiquette, invitations, traditions, etc. This board I just like reading. I never really expected anything of my bridesmaids besides showing up and maybe joining me for a night on the town if they wanted. I've been so thankful and amazed that they want to do more, like throw me a shower and help with decorations. It's been eye opening to see that people actually do expect their bridesmaids to be their slaves. I thought that was just on TV.

3. Just for fun: What is your favorite wedding movie? Favorite scene? I agree with My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I'd have to go with one of the following scenes:
    1) her mom not understanding what a bundt cake is
    2) Joey Fatone saying "Hey Ian. We're gonna kill ya. OPA!"
    3) "I'm a snow beast"
  • 1. How many weddings had you attended before beginning to plan your own?

I think 5 is my number. I was a flower girl in my aunt's wedding, a BM in both my other aunt and best friend's weddings, MOH in my sister's, and a guest at my friend's.

2. Have any of your ideas about weddings changed since joining TK and participating in the message boards?

Oh have they! When I was younger I never thought much about etiquette or what was expected at a wedding. I had the assumption that the parents paid for everything and was being a brat about it until I posted on here and got my a!ss handed to me. I'm grateful that I stuck around here and learned how skewed my views were.

One of my favorites is The Wedding Singer. I love the part where Robbie's nephew comes out on the porch and says to his ex-FI, "Hey Linda. You a b!tch!"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moms-maids-newbies-and-married-old-hags?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:9c582e44-e903-4af5-93e5-1251248727fePost:6207b5f3-fe63-4ecf-bc37-c58123a93e9b">Re: Moms, Maids, Newbies and Married Old Hags</a>:
    [QUOTE]I1. I did not plan my wedding as my mom did. Strange, now-a-days, but back then she wanted it in their town where they moved when I was an undergraduate. I had never lived there and was an A-type career woman so I just told her to go ahead and plan something traditional. It was perfect! Now I still don't get to plan a wedding as this is DD's wedding. Times change, but that's ok. 
    Posted by va4ryans[/QUOTE]

My mom never really got to plan a wedding either.  My grandmother commandeered hers (telling her "one day you'll get to plan your daughter's wedding")  and since she held some resentment about that she made sure to give me free-reign on what I did.  I asked her opinion on lots of things, so I don't think she felt too much like she missed out; but it is a little unfortunate.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moms-maids-newbies-and-married-old-hags?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:9c582e44-e903-4af5-93e5-1251248727fePost:dcb8e03e-f9f9-477d-97ab-65d211e36094">Re: Moms, Maids, Newbies and Married Old Hags</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Moms, Maids, Newbies and Married Old Hags : My mom never really got to plan a wedding either.  My grandmother commandeered hers (telling her "one day you'll get to plan your daughter's wedding")  and since she held some resentment about that she made sure to give me free-reign on what I did.  I asked her opinion on lots of things, so I don't think she felt too much like she missed out; but it is a little unfortunate.
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]

All I really care about is the dress shopping! Other DD is MOH so we should have a great time.
  • 1. How many weddings had you attended before beginning to plan your own?  Four total, all 3 of my cousin's which were all before I was 20, and one very close friend when I was in my early 20's

2. Have any of your ideas about weddings changed since joining TK and participating in the message boards?  I realized I was validated in side eyeing some of the things at my cousin's weddings. I knew that for our wedding we wanted a laid-back yet classy feel and I think we achieved that pretty easily, I didn't have too many questions while planning.

3. Just for fun: What is your favorite wedding movie? I don't kow that I have one. But I love the opening scene in Love Actually where the best man arranged for the exit song from the church.
  • 1. I can remember attending 11, but I feel there are more I am forgetting from younger years.

2. I have had many ideas validated, including my feelings about my cousin and his wife having a PPD a year after going to the JOP.  I felt I was the only one who thought it was wrong!

3. I don't have one.  It seems I don't watch many movies compared to others.
  • 1. How many weddings had you attended before beginning to plan your own? Maybe a dozen?  Mostly family weddings - dollar dances and cash bars all over the place - including my mom and stepdad when I was a preteen, and my dad - twice!.  DH and I only attended three weddings together before we planned ours but that was enough to know what our priorities were and what we didn't want to do.  I relied a lot my mom (who volunteered to be our local contact) and TK, where I also learned that monogrammed totes are not the be all and end all of bridesmaids gifts.

Yup.  We did "shop like it's their birthday" gifting because of TK as well as hosted beer and wine only.  TK also was very helpful in giving me language to explain why we skipped the "traditions" of a garter toss and head table (sans spouses).

3. Just for fun: What is your favorite wedding movie? Favorite scene? If Love Actually doesn't count, it's My Big Fat Greek Wedding.  I love the family chaos - the scene getting her dressed and trying to pop the zit, especially since I woke up the morning our our RD with a huge zit in the middle of my forehead.
    Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moms-maids-newbies-and-married-old-hags?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:9c582e44-e903-4af5-93e5-1251248727fePost:ff0d29ff-f9eb-43b7-8d29-f3338062deb3">Re: Moms, Maids, Newbies and Married Old Hags</a>:
    [QUOTE] I don't have one.  It seems I don't watch many movies compared to others.
    Posted by GardenMaven[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen most of these movies, either. After seeing everyone's favorites, I'm going to start a Netflix account to see what I've missed.

• edited November 2012
    1. How many weddings had you attended before beginning to plan your own?
    Umm....about 6 or 7? All our friends started getting married right around the time we did.

Not really. A lot of things TK doesn't like (cash bars, dollar dances, WP dances, jewelry as BM gifts, etc) were common in my circle, but I wasn't a fan of them either. I had never really heard of engagement parties before (well I had heard of them but they seem like a much bigger deal on here--I don't know a single person IRL who had one).

I like many, but I'd probably say My Best Friend's Wedding and the scene where they sing the song. Don't know the name but it's something like "I say a little prayer for you."

ETA: I forgot about Father of the Bride. I could seriously watch that movie over and over again (and I have). It's such a sweet movie. I watched it a few days before I got married and cried and cried thinking about my own dad at my upcoming wedding.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • 1. How many weddings had you attended before beginning to plan your own?
    TONS.
     I went to so many growing up since my mom comes from such a big family. Then came college and everyone that got married right afterwards. I want to say 50-75. It blows my mind when I see brides on here that have never been to one.

Honestly, a lot of the things that are against etiquette, I never really noticed or were bothered by when I had seen them in the past. I don't think they're unfounded, but maybe just in my circle they're so common they don't phase me. So I did learn a lot about etiquette when planning my own wedding, but I still don't think minor etiquette breaches bother me unless it's really over the top.

As a general rule, I hate chick flicks, so that eliminates a lot of movies. I was obsessed with Full House, though, so Jesse and Becky's wedding pretty much blew my 8 year old mind.
    Oh, also Monica and Chandler's wedding was just an emotional wreck for me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_moms-maids-newbies-and-married-old-hags?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:9c582e44-e903-4af5-93e5-1251248727fePost:09026e5b-c434-4444-9aac-edbc99bb66e0">Moms, Maids, Newbies and Married Old Hags</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm curious 1. How many weddings had you attended before beginning to plan your own?

In my 27 years of life...probably 20-30.

No, I've always been a stickler for wedding etiquette. As a 13 year old I would spend time at the library poring over wedding etiquette books in preparation for my (as of yet, unrealized) life long dream of becoming a wedding planner. Planning my wedding is the biggest thrill for me!

Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]

Father of the Bride. It made all my dreams about what a wedding should be when I watched it at 7 years old.
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited November 2012
    I'm not engaged, but I'm answering, anyway. I just had to tweak my answers a bit. 1. How many weddings had you attended before beginning to plan your own? I've been a guest at 4 weddings. I've worked a crapload of other weddings, though. VERY different than being an actual guest, but I still learned a lot as an outside observer not just as a potential future bride but as a guest. 2. Have any of your ideas about weddings changed since joining TK and participating in the message boards? Kinda. I knew some things, like even sides, sounded wrong to me, but now I can articulate why. 3. Just for fun: What is your favorite wedding movie? Favorite scene? My Best Friend's Wedding and Bridesmaids
  • I1. How many weddings had you attended before beginning to plan your own?

I'm not engaged, but it might happen next year because I've been dating for quite a while.  I don't have a "dream vision" of my wedding, so I haven't given much thought to anything specific regarding dresses, rings, decorations, food, etc.  I did make a hypothetical guest list that I keep updated as things happen, and there are things I know I wouldn't like to happen, but they're mostly procedural-they don't relate to specifics.

It's hard to say any have really "changed" - TK confirmed or expanded a lot of the thoughts I already had, but I can't think of any really radical changes.

I guess My Big Fat Greek Wedding, when the families meet.
  • erinlin25erinlin25 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited November 2012
    1. I've been to at least 15 weddings probably and I have been the FG, JrBM, BM, MOH, guest and now I am finally the Bride!

2. Yes the Knot has definitely changed my view; I definitely was shocked by the BM/MOH role. I agree they shouldn't be your Biatches but I've always enjoyed being a BM and doing the showers, bachelorette, etc.  Thought it was a given but now I know otherwise.  Sad that some people don't get that and am feeling lucky that have BMs who are excited to throw me a shower and bachelorette party.  I would definitely be bummed if that didn't happen.  Oh, and honeymoon registries.  I wasn't planning on doing one, but I had a friend who did one and I thought it was a cool idea at the time.  Now I'm curious if she actually "used" it, haha.  And i'm bummed to know the cost I paid didn't technically all go to her and her hubby. 

3. Favorite is definitely Father of The Bride!  I am definitely daddy's little girl and can't wait for him to walk me down the aisle :)  Too many favorite scenes... when they meet her finance and she says "he's like you dad, excpet he's brilliant!"  And when they play basketball together; and any scene Frank is in (martin short); and yeah pretty much the whole movie.  

Anniversary
  • Hello! I am lurkey on this board and I love these things so I wanted to play.

1. Only 3, which I see is strange! I was a flower girl once and a guest the other times. I really love weddings and I feel like I am missing out. They have all been family/family friends. I am pretty young still so none of my friends from college have gotten married.
    2. I have not really changed my ideas or my vision for my own wedding, but I have learned a lot. Like, when I came on here, I did not even know that you weren't supposed to include registry info with invites. I mean, the most elementary thing. Maybe it's because I haven't been to more weddings!
    3. Maybe Four Weddings and a Funeral?
  • 1. How many weddings had you attended before beginning to plan your own? Hmm attended 1 before we got engaged, and 5 this year, had most of the stuff planned so no major impact on our planning 2. Have any of your ideas about weddings changed since joining TK and participating in the message boards? Only that there are a lot of brides to be who are extremely self absorbed, it helped me focus on real life and ensuring that I spend quality time with those close to me without talking weddings 3. Just for fun: What is your favorite wedding movie? Favorite scene? It would have to be the "I say a little prayer for you" scene from my best friends wedding!
  • 1) I am at that age where everyone is getting married so just in the last 2 years I have been to atleast 10 as a guest and I was in 2 others. I cant really rememeber where "we got engaged" fell in between all these.

2) No it has not, has it opened my eyes and made me think things over alittle more for sure. However I did notice the difference in all the weddings I have been to compared to what others think is wrong. A good chunk of weddings have had greeters, ushers and cash bars. Everyone I have been to has had atleast a 2+ hour gap inbetween the ceremony and cocktail hour/reception, if not longer. I have been to quite a few that have also just done snacks and not full meals. So I tend to take what I learn on the knot, what the "norm" for my area and what my plans are and go from there. I dont change it 100 percent but I may tweek it alittle.

3) Wedding crashers, the whole movie. Cracks me up everytime
  • 1. How many weddings had you attended before beginning to plan your own? Well, this is my second wedding, when I planned my first I had been to 2 weddings as a child, so I was totally in the dark and so was (now) exH and my mom basically planeed it. This time I'm 20 years older and dozens of weddings wiser. I definitely have more opinions now, and am glad to know I'llbe happy with how the whole day goes down!

2. Have any of your ideas about weddings changed since joining TK and participating in the message boards? Not really, but it has helped me realize WHY I hate a lot of the things I hate at weddings. Cash bars, head tables, program attendants, dollar dances and huge gaps are VERY common here.) It's easier to tell people WHY I'm doing things different than expected, and I know it will all be appreciated in the end!

3. Just for fun: What is your favorite wedding movie? Favorite scene? Umm, does the Hangover count? Otherwise, I love the Wedding Singer, the song at the end makes me tear up!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards