Military Brides

Wedding and PCS all within a month

Hi ladies!  Sooooo I need some advice.  My fiance and I picked our wedding date months ago (October 24th) and we are getting married in CA (we live in Washington DC).  We get back from our wedding on October 27 and he has orders to PCS on two weeks later to CA.  Has anyone had any experience with getting married and quickly having to PCS?  We're not sure how to go about handling the move and everything since we already live together.  Talk about being stressed out!!!!!!

Re: Wedding and PCS all within a month

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

We went through the same thing basically, except we had just over a month after the wedding for our PCS.  We actually just checked out of our apartment today to start our PCS across country.  Its stressful doing both, but its not too bad.  H and I lived 2 hours apart, and I had to move to his apartment right after the wedding.  We did that on our own since it wasn't a lot of stuff.  The military move was everything out of our apartment. 

The hard part was always hearing different things from everyone we taked to about me being added to the move or not.  Since H was given his orders in February and his paper orders in June I was not on the orders since our wedding was in July.  Even though I was added after, I do not get counted in the total weight we are allowed for the move.  H's single weight is 7,000 lbs, and our married weight would be about 11,000.  The truck was just loaded today and luckily it was only 6,400 lbs with everything.  If you are overweight its $1 per pound.  We still don't know if I will get paid my per diem and gas for the PCS since I wasn't on the original orders.  We won't find out until we check in to the new command in October. 

Overall, it isn't that bad doing both, just stressful.  Actually I envy you that you are moving after only 2 weeks.  We can't wait to get to our new base, and be done with everything, both wedding and moving.  This month or so since the wedding has been annoying since we didn't bother unpacking any wedding gifts or my stuff, so we just can't wait to get into the new place and settle in.  

Good luck with everything! 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married April 10, returned from our honeymoon April 26, and PCSd to Egypt May 5. It can be done. Plan well ahead of time and understand that it will be stressful and you can do it. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards