Registry and Gift Forum

Early wedding gifts

FI and I have gotten quite a few wedding gifts in the mail that guests have purchased off our registries and had sent to our home.

Do we open these gifts now, or wait till after the wedding? If people expect me to open them now, should I write thank you cards now or after the wedding?

Thanks for your help :)

Re: Early wedding gifts

• I'd open them now to make sure nothing is broken and that they are the right things from your registry.  Then I'd immediately write a thank you note and mail it.  Just don't use anything until after the wedding.
  • I would go ahead and open now and then send the thank you's now. Some people might wait around for a thank you (not knowing that you haven't opened the gift yet) and be disappointed. Plus, that leaves you with less to write after the wedding.
    HTH!! 
  • You could always give a call to the person that sent you the gift to let them know that you received it. This way you can also ask if they want you to go ahead and open it.

Or you could just do what the other ladies have said. I think that is appropriate too.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    Just in case something happens and the wedding is cancelled, don't use the gift so you can return it unused.
  • Oh, ok!  I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a tradition thing, not just the practical thing.  Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So then after the wedding do you also send a thank you for attending the wedding?  Or is the thank you for the early gift sufficient?
  • For gifts received before the wedding you have about 2 weeks to get out your TYs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards