Pre-wedding Parties

Alternative to shower games?

I'm finding more and more that people HATE shower games (altough I personally love them, maybe because I always win!). I'm thinking about skipping the games, but is there something else that we could do to take up some time??? Also, we already have a couple of gifts, so it would be nice to be able to give them away somehow. Any ideas? TIA!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Alternative to shower games?

• ShakeUpTampaShakeUpTampa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There was talk about doing an ice cream social...let everyone have a game of most interesting sundae..still a game but in covert haha. I personally like certain games. Bingo is a favorite in my social circle. The other two we are playing at mine are The Price Is Right and Whats In Her Bag...

I've just never been to a party WITHOUT games lol
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You don't have to replace the games with an organized activity. Just let the guests chat and enjoy each others company.
    If you are set on giving away the gifts that you have purchased, you could put everyone's name in a hat and have a drawing. Or, give them to the bride as extra gifts.

• ucfandreaucfandrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My shower was this weekend and my BM had each guest write a memory of me/our time together on an index card.  the cards were read aloud and I had to guess who had written it.  The cards were in a nice keepsake box which I took home.  I loved the idea and everyone got a few good laughs at some of the stories.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_alternative-shower-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:baab9c6b-4983-4c32-b6da-752f6bd63a34Post:925d220c-bc6b-4e8c-a289-33d9d0c1f326">Re: Alternative to shower games?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My shower was this weekend and my BM had each guest write a memory of me/our time together on an index card.  the cards were read aloud and I had to guess who had written it.  The cards were in a nice keepsake box which I took home.  I loved the idea and everyone got a few good laughs at some of the stories.
    Posted by ucfandrea[/QUOTE]

Haha!  I went to a shower in March where they did exactly this.  It was a TRAIN WRECK.  I could see how it would work out... if the bride had a good memory.  But the bride's memory wasn't the best and most of the memories were from college and we're a good 6+ years out of college now.  The bride struggled and it was both embarassing for her and painful to watch at times.  Some memories that stuck out to some people didn't stick out to the bride so it resulted in a few hurt feelings.  When they had us write down the memory I though it was a super cute idea, but then turned out to be not so good. 

At my shower this weekend we didn't play any games (I hate shower games and so does MOH) but every time I picked a gift the person who's gift it was read a question that my MOH had asked FI.  Stuff like "favorite beer" or "if there was one thing you could throw out of FI's what would it be?".  It was really cute.  Other than that we just ate and drank and talked.
  • edited December 2011
    Have each of the bridemaids make a different "basket" and do a chinese auction.  Have the baskets wrapped and displayed and give each guest a few tickets to place in the ones they want to win.  Raffle off each basket in between gift opening to keep everyone from getting bored.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards