Wedding Party

Best man/groomsman clothing dilema

beach wedding so not going to be wearing tuxs (only groom)
the bridesmaids will be in a solid color dress one in pink, one in yellow and one in orange.  should the guys each have their own color? all the guys be the same and in a solid color or Hawaiian type? thanks in advance

Re: Best man/groomsman clothing dilema

• I think if your GM are like most men I know, they'll want to go with a neutral.  At most, they'll go for color in the ties. 

• What does your FI think? What do the GMs think? I realize the answers may be that they don't care, but if you're open to a couple options I'd ask them for their thoughts, especially your FI. And I agree with banana, boys may take more kindly to a neutral shirt and colored tie than to being told to wear a pink shirt.
  • This issue is for your fiance.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • i did the same thing as you I have my girls wearing 3 shades of purple and I just had all the GM in a classic black tux with a black tie since your girls are adding the color, let your guys go with a neutral color like sand or beige to complement the girls. Remember that too much color will distract from you in your photos. If you GM all match in neutral tones it will look lovely.
  • Your FI should be the one picking out his GMs' outfits.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • While I know that the Groom should be *mostly* in charge of what the guys wear, I think occasionally the bride can offer some suggestions. I speak as the future bride of a clinically proven color-blind man that has no sense of fashion whatsoever ... and wonderful friends that would blindly wear anything for him (And vice-versa)

Last June, friends of ours got married, FI was in the wedding and the husband was put in charge of the men's attire.  When we asked what he thought the guys would be wearing, he said "Well, the tuxes are supposed to be the same color as the BM dresses". I figured he meant vests and ties or whatever, so I didn't think twice about it. I later found out, that he literally thought the tux had to match the dresses, when I came home one day to him and FI (The future wife nowhere to be found, and apparently unaware of this) searching the Mens Wearhouse website for Pool colored tuxes! I'm not going to lie, I was so horrified, I was a little blunt in giving them a crash course in why you shouldn't do something like this (Which, I was later thanked for, lol).

I later on asked FI why they thought the Pool tuxes where a good idea, and he just shrugged and said "I dunno, it matched". I then asked him if he thought it might look a little silly, and he shrugged again and said "I dunno, Friend said it was a good idea". He then also reminded me that Pool is one of those colors he can't see properly (He has deficiancies w/greens), so he REALLY had no idea how scary that might have looked.

Long story short, while the guys gets to pick, I would strongly suggest a neutral suit/tux and then use ties or pocket squares to go crazy with the colors.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • The bride can have input on what the men wear, just as the groom can have input on what the girls wear - for example, my DH had a LOT to say about the bm dresses and oddly enough their footwear and whether they should all match shoes, etc.  Just sayin', you're getting married to be a team and work together for the rest of your life, so there's nothing wrong with sharing responsibilities on non-gender-divided lines.

As to the actual question, I agree with the neutral color suggestions, or if you can find hawaiian shirts that would work well with all the girls' dresses, and you're ok with the level of formality of hawaiian shirts for the event, go for it.
    imageimage
  • Yes, FI does get to pick the attire.

However I think it's OK to give a bit of a nudge towards what may work just like it can work for the groom to give a nudge as well.  Total control by the bride for the GM attire though is not appropriate.
  • Agreed about letting FI decide.

Buuuut in this case, khakis, a white shirt and maybe a colored tie or bout would work well. If you want suits, go with linen for the beach.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • i understand that you say the groom has to decide but its a very small wedding, he told me to decide and the gm are my brothers so its not your average wedding. i ask his opinion for everything though. thanks for all the help i really appreciate it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards