Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

BCP

Hi Ladies,

I am obviously going to contact my doctor, but I know we have a few nurses on here, so I thought I'd reach out.

Ok, so I counted my weeks on my BC pills and just going as is I'd get my period the week of the wedding. :(

So, when I counted the weeks, if I took a two week hiatus this month, then I wouldn't have my pd until after the honeymoon (ideal). But, is this a bad idea? Is there a better way to do this? FWIW I take Kariva.

Thanks for any help!!
RT + JB
Wedding Countdown Ticker
The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.

Re: BCP

• edited December 2011

Ok, so I am not a nurse, but I did ask my doctor about this when I got my BC pills because I too wanted to be sure I wasn't on my period during my wedding and honeymoon. She said that it really didn't matter when my period was, to just take my pills like normal then when I get to the month of my wedding, to skip the 'placebo' pills and start a new pack right away. If you do that, you will by-pass your period completely that month. Apparently a lot of girls never take the 'placebo' pills and therefore always skip their periods. Doing this is just a more expensive option because you obviously would have to buy more packs. It's also how the other pills work where you skip your period. Those packs just don't have the placebo pills. She assured me that it was completely safe, and that if you wanted your period again to just take the placebo pills like normal after you finish the pack after your wedding.

Ok, I hope that made sense and I hoped it helped. You could always call your Dr. I'm sure if you are concerned.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Sar, My pills though don't have a full week of placebo, they have 2 placebos then a lower dose ones (or something similar) in the past when I tried to skip my pd by moving onto another pack I still get it and it is way heavier than it was before... not sure why...
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is your whole pack for the month a tiered dose? Or is it just those last few pills? I was just going to suggest exactly what sari said, but if you have different doses through your whole BC pack, it's a little more difficult. The other option would be to take the placebos earlier and get your period before the wedding. I'm not familiar with Kariva, but make sure you contact your physician before you decide what you are going to do. Also, I would probably give it a trial run this month or next month to make sure it actually is going to work for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Here's the thing with taking a two week hiatus. (I'm a Physician Assistant btw). You MUST use a back up method not only for those two weeks but for the entire month once you start the new pack. How many months until your wedding? If you can skip two weeks and then have a minimum of a full month back on the pill before the wedding, that should work. If you'll have any less than one month on the pill, you won't be covered for wedding and honeymoon. You just want to be 100% sure you are covered for the honeymoon!!! :) HTH.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry, just have to say don't take the placebos earlier, you will not be protected from pregnancy if you do that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_bcp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:116Discussion:3767e4fe-3691-4146-88ed-890d1ae0b981Post:c7d36978-f549-46f2-9347-6b523bc191fc">Re: BCP</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry, just have to say don't take the placebos earlier, you will not be protected from pregnancy if you do that.
    Posted by lindsayzeleznik[/QUOTE]

You aren't ever 100% protected from pregnancy. Messing with your pills in any way makes it even more likely. ETA: Whatever you do decide to do, you're going to need a back-up method. BCP work in different ways to keep you from getting pregnant. It's possible that if one thing doesn't work from messing with the pills, you'll get pregnant. I should really start to make sure I've got all of my thoughts down before I hit post. Thanks for being my brain, Lindsay.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    panther - Sent you PM
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, so yeah it will make a difference if you don't have a pack like I do. I know that the pills I use I can skip a period on easily if i need to (go on vacation, wedding, etc). And since I don't actually stop any doses (and I am very good at taking the pill the EXACT same time every day) then the pill is as effective as it should be and I don't technically need another method if I don't want it.

I agree with the other girls that you should be very careful before you plan to stop the pill for a week or two. Definitely use a backup for the weeks that you stop as well as the following month just to be sure. I would ask your doctor about other options before you decide to skimp weeks. Even if you are covered from pregnancy with a backup method, you could still have breakthrough bleeding when you start the pack again I think. It might just be a big hassle and you are taking a bit of a chance on the outcome and timing of  your period.... Just my two cents though :-)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards