Pre-wedding Parties

Rehersal Dinner Insert Wording

I have a friend that is getting married next November. She came to me a few days ago wondering how to word her rehersal dinner inserts. The deal is that no one is paying for the dinner, it is pretty much going to be anyone who wants to join them can, but they aren't paying for anyone. How would you even go about wording an insert for this while getting the point across but being tactful? I am the one making the invitations for her wedding so any suggestions would help! :)

Re: Rehersal Dinner Insert Wording

• They are also not wanting gifts, they would like money to help fix up the home they just bought. I need help with the wording on that insert as well. Thanks!
  • There is no real polite way to phrase that on a formal invitation like that. If she is inviting people to meet her for dinner and pay for themselves, it's best to spread the word verbally. Also, what if guests talk to each other? "Did you get the insert?" "What insert?" Awkward. Gifts shouldn't be mentioned anywhere on the invitationsor in the envelope at all, even if it's to say they don't want gifts. That should definitely be spread by word of mouth. Do you feel okay talking to get about this with her? We can probably give you some pointers.
  • No, it shouldn't be a problem. We are pretty good friends so I can just talk to her about it. :) Thank you so much!
  • There is no polite way to word something so sucky.  It's incredibly inappropriate for her to have a host-less rehearsal dinner.

• edited December 2011
    I also had a rehearsal dinner insert included with our invitations (since ours is a DW we invited all guests to the RD)

I used the tag line "Before they say I do, let's raise a glass or two"

Then followed that with "Please join us for a dinner honoring Lisa and Sean on blah blah blah"

My parents are hosting the dinner...So maybe you can use the tag line and say something else to let them know it's not hosted by anyone, such as "You are welcome to join us on *date and time* for a pre-wedding celebration at *location*"

This way you aren't saying anything about a dinner and it seems more of just a get together and drinks...if they want to eat they can on their own...

Hope this helps!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

121image Invited to Fabulous Las Vegas!
    53 image Are all in!
    68 image Are celebrating from afar
    0 image Haven't decided yet

RSVP Date 2/1
  • Also, a suggestion for the gift thing...

Include a wedding website address on the invitations somewhere. Then on you wedding website have a page called registries and that would be an appropriate place to state the gift wishes. We set up something called a Honeyfund. You can list out things that you need money for (honeymoon items, things that need to be fixed in house, etc) and they can pledge to give you the money at the wedding or can pay you through paypal. It works fabulous, my sister just gave me my first gift through it today and told me she wished she would have done hers that way!

Check out my wedding website in my siggy for an examples of this...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

121image Invited to Fabulous Las Vegas!
    53 image Are all in!
    68 image Are celebrating from afar
    0 image Haven't decided yet

RSVP Date 2/1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards