Not Engaged Yet

Picked up my dress yesterday!

So, I've posted before how amazing my boss and co-workers have been with helping me plan the wedding.  If boss hadn't already done more than enough for me, when I went to pick my dress up yesterday, they told me it had already been paid for!  Come to find out, my boss went in a few days earlier and paid for the alterations to surprise me - how sweet is that?!

So...I threw it in my car and went back to work, without even looking at it.  Later that day my boss calls me in a panic and told me to go look at the dress, just to be sure it's right.  So....I did.  I unzipped it and it was the right dress, so that was a good start.  Then I looked at the hem.  It isn't straight AT ALL and looks terrible.  So, then I tried it on - when I took it in for alterations I wore flat shoes, because that's what I planned on wearing.  Well, the dress is still at least 3 inches too long for me to wear flats, so now I get to go shopping for high heels.  Ugh! 

Re: Picked up my dress yesterday!

• edited December 2011
    #1 - i LOVE your boss for paying for your dress alterations that is freaking awesome.

#2 - Lame that the dress is still 3 inches too long, that's honestly a pretty high heel, too. I'd say something to them about it and why is it not straight? I would honestly probably have a Bridezilla moment that I was not proud of.

On a lighter not OMG 5 days!!!!!!!!!1
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I really don't have a clue what I'm going to do... I probably can get away with having about a 2 inch heel but it really pisses me off because my plan was to wear my Converses  Frown 

And yes, ONLY 5 days to go!  So, I really don't have time to go be bridezilla on them because it's not like they really have the time to fix it.  Ugh!
  • edited December 2011
    ZOMG!  T-minus 5 days!  Congrats!
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I obviously don't do alterations, but I would think 4 days (so its done before the wedding) would be ample time to fix a hem. I'm sorry. Have or are you going to say anything?

My ceremony dress was too long for me because my shoes destroyed my feet during pics and I ended up in flip flops for the whole wedding.

Yay again for having such an amazing boss!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Yay for your awesome boss. Nay for the crappy alterations job. I'm with Loopy - I would think that 4 days would be enough time to re-do a hem, but I could understand if you feel that it's cutting it too close.

On the bright side, you do get an excuse to buy new shoes. Laughing

So excited for you!
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It might cost a bit extra for a "rush" job, but I bet you could get that hem fixed in time. Call around? Lots of dry cleaners have alterations on site.

Your boss is amazing. I'm so glad you have someone there in your still newish town looking out for you and loving on you. I can only do it from afar. :)

FIVE DAYS!!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    Yes, I'm sure if they really wanted to do it, they could fix it in 5 days.  But honestly?  I don't trust this certain place not to screw it up even more and yes I could take it somewhere else and pay for a rush job but it's not something I reallly want to spend an arm and a leg on.  I guess if we were having a big wedding and reception it would be a different story but...it's just us and a few people for a short ceremony so I figure it's a bit crazy to spend more money on a dress that I'm only going to wear a couple hours, if that.

Oh, and I have the flu so the thought of having to actually go out and take it somewhere seems like too much work at this point. 
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    You must have a really great boss.

I must say, I'm impressed with your attitude.  I would, like others have mentioned, go completely bridezilla until the dress was perfect.

Sorry you're sick, though.  I recommend NyQuil.
  • edited December 2011

Elle - I think I just got to the point where it is what it is..  My co-workers freaked out alot more than I did over the dress.  I can deal with it not being straight but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't upset with the length. 

Oh yes, Nyquil has become my best friend!

• coastiegrl25coastiegrl25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow such an amazing thing for your boss to do! I know you'll still look beautiful on your wedding day that is in FIVE DAYYSSS!! Hope you can find some really comfy shoes!
    When is my wedding
  • edited December 2011
    That's so great that you have an awesome boss.  Your dress is from DB, right?  Did they do the alterations or did someone else do them?  I agree with others that a hem should be an easy fix.  Any tailor should be able to have it done quickly.  

Squee for you for having 5 days to go.  
  • desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    Hope you feel better fast, Jeter! *hugs*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. Yay! Awesome boss!!

2. What the heck???? You should complain, they shouldn't be paid. My seamstress wouldn't even do my hem until I bought my shoes, so she could hem them exactly. This is a major error.

Regardless, I'm sorry! But YAYYY!! ALMOST HERE!
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_picked-up-dress-yesterday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:0be73ffb-3a41-4015-8663-137f443a5f32Post:ca874ba3-ac8a-43b6-a0d9-ee343a7e94b9">Re: Picked up my dress yesterday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, I'm sure if they really wanted to do it, they could fix it in 5 days.  But honestly?  I don't trust this certain place not to screw it up even more and yes I could take it somewhere else and pay for a rush job but it's not something I reallly want to spend an arm and a leg on.  I guess if we were having a big wedding and reception it would be a different story but...it's just us and a few people for a short ceremony so I figure it's a bit crazy to spend more money on a dress that I'm only going to wear a couple hours, if that. Oh, and I have the flu so the thought of having to actually go out and take it somewhere seems like too much work at this point. 
    Posted by Soon2BMrsJeter[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I would take it somewhere else and get it hemmed and wear the flats you want instead of trying to find the right heel to fix the dress. Then I would take the invoice for the 2nd seamstress and give it to the first and make them pay for it.

I really do think it's unacceptable. It's not straight and it's not the right length. You essentially paid for nothing.
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Kat. Also, if your dress has a relatively straight skirt, a simple straight hem is a no-brainer. Shouldn't take someone long at all to do.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone and would also like to add that as long as it's not a lace edge or something, anybody with an ounce of sewing skill should be able to hem it. Do you have a friend you would trust to do it? Heck, I'd offer if I wasn't in a different state. Hems are easy.
  • edited December 2011

Oh, I'm going to go and raise hell with the seamstress, no doubt about that.  The problem about getting it fixed now is that I am dropping my dress off Monday morning to be steamed and it's not ready for pick up until Wednesday, so it doesn't get me ANY time at all.  It's pretty much my fault for being such a procrastinator -so I take full blame on not leaving enough time in between for hiccups like this.

And yes kat, we totally paid for nothing.  I can wear it but I'm still not able to to wear the shoes I planned on.  Luckily, I really won't be wearing it for an extended amount of time so it's not too big of a deal.

All that I care about is.... I'M GETTING MARRIED IN 5 DAYS!! Ahhhh!! Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards