Wedding Reception Forum

Need timeline help!

Well...here goes.  The latest our church can perform the ceremony is 2 p.m.  So it will probably be a little after 3 p.m. by the time guests exit the church, take a picture or two, and walk or drive back to the hotel/reception site.   (FYI, the reception is at the hotel, which is a few tenths of a mile from the church.)

I'm not a big fan of gaps between the ceremony and reception,  but I'm kind of at a loss here.  I was thinking it would make sense to do the cocktail hour from 4:30-5:30, so that by the time guests part ways with the bar and file into the reception hall, it'll be close to 6--which, in my mind, is an appropriate time for dinner.

BUT, that schedule means there would be a 1.5 hour gap between the ceremony and reception.  I'm guessing that some guests will use that time to check into their rooms, freshen up, explore the property, sit by the water, etc., but it's still an awkward amount of time to fill.

Any ideas?  How would you ladies modify the schedule if it were up to you?  Who knew that the timeline would be the most stressful part of wedding planning??  Smile

Re: Need timeline help!

• Have your cocktail hour from 3:304:30ish and have dinner served by 5. Its much better to serve dinner a little early, instead of making your guests find something to do.
  • I don't think 5 is too early to serve dinner.  Just be aware that because the day is starting at 2 (okay, realistically many of your guests will probably arive around 1:30), you probably won't have people sticking around until midnight.   The "average" reception is 4-5 hours, so people will probably be ready to leave the reception around 9 or 9:30.   
    DSC_9275
  • Our ceremony was at 2:00 also.  There was a little bit of a drive to the reception, so we had cocktail hour from 3:30-4:45. By the time everyone got into the dining room and got situated, it was 5:15-5:30 before dinner started.  

If anyone wanted to check in to their hotel or do any errands, they could have done so during the cocktail hour.  It wouldn't be fair to make everyone else wait around while a few people checked in to their hotels.  
  • How about performing a few rituals before dinner is served in order to push dinner time back a little . For example, you could enter the reception, have your first dance, mother/son and father/daughter dances, let the best man and maid of honor give their speeches and then serve dinner. This should easily fill about an hour making dinner served at 6 pm (cocktail hour from 3:30-4:30/settling in the reception hall by 5). This would leave the remaining few hours of reception for dancing and mingling.
  • Thanks for the feedback!  I agree that having the gap is weird and inconsiderate.  Emgray, I like your idea of frontloading the rituals in order to delay dinner a bit.  I think I'll use that strategy to play with the timeline a bit...thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards