Wedding Etiquette Forum

Cash Bar

Good Morning! We are having a destination wedding, but a traditional rehearsal dinner (not all out of town guests will be invited, only family and WP). However, I do want all wedding guests who are already in town to meet and mingle after the rehearsal dinner. I am putting together a little letter, so I want to give everyone a place and time to meet, BUT this is not really part of the wedding events, as we are not paying for this cocktail hour. Is it tacky to say "cash bar" next to the event so guests are aware that we are not paying?  Any other suggestions on how to properly word it?  Thanks. Have a great Thursday.

Re: Cash Bar

• Don't put cash bar anywhere, it is rude and tacky. It will get out via word of mouth.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cash-bar-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8bcc3338-6715-4193-a198-539c1b8a7507Post:9a45c120-c25d-4e6f-ab5e-0572cd621c1b">Cash Bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good Morning! We are having a destination wedding, but a traditional rehearsal dinner (not all out of town guests will be invited, only family and WP). However, I do want all wedding guests who are already in town to meet and mingle after the rehearsal dinner. I am putting together a little letter, so I want to give everyone a place and time to meet, BUT this is not really part of the wedding events, as we are not paying for this cocktail hour. Is it tacky to say "cash bar" next to the event so guests are aware that we are not paying?  Any other suggestions on how to properly word it?  Thanks. Have a great Thursday.
    Posted by ssilverman25[/QUOTE]

If you are not hosting, you should indicate that with your wording, but not through the words "cash bar."  Instead of saying "we invite you...." it should be something like "The bride and groom will be at X location for drinks from time to time.  Feel free to join us if you would like!"
    Married 10/2/10
  • Agreed with quotequeen. 

If you are requesting your guests be somewhere at a certain time, then its considered a wedding event that you are hosting.  And writing cash bar is never appropriate.

Word it as something very unformal.
    "Mary and John will be at the Lobby Bar Thursday night from 7-9pm.  Feel free to join us if you would like."

It might be nice to buy everyone's first drink if you can, but you certainly aren't obligated too. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Ditto QQ.  You're not hosting the get together.  Just say that you'll be at X place if they're interested in going.
  • We're getting around this by inviting people to stop by our house for cocktails.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • We're planning on doing somethng similar.  Our rehearsal dinner is small so it's only family and WP invited but in our guests welcome bags we're including on the itinerary that we'll be at "X" bar at 10pm and you're more than welcome to join us.

Something like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards