Wedding Invitations & Paper

Two-Line names and invitation wording

I've just started working on our invitations, which are going to be pocketfolds from paperandmore.  The trouble is the fact that both my fiance and I have longer names (the above names have been changed but this way you can see what it would look like) and I wanted to know is there a huge rule I'm breaking by having our names on two lines instead of one?  It's similar to what I did with the save the date heading shown below.

What do you think on that?

Here's an interesting wording situation that one of you might have an idea on and that's with crediting the parents.  As it stands right now, my fiance's mom is paying for the bulk of it, then my dad, and the fiance and I are finishing off the rest.  The trouble with crediting them is that his dad is still around but unable to contribute anything financially to the wedding so I'm not sure if putting his name on here would be appropriate, even though I'd like to.  The trickier thing is that the fiance's mom is recently divorced and instead of retaking her maiden name, she's gone back to my fiance's dad's name, so now both of his parents have the same last name but aren't married.  Is there any tactful way that anyone can think of to credit both of them and make it look like they're not married?  I'm at a loss on that one, hence the "together with their parents" line.

Re: Two-Line names and invitation wording

• Could you maybe do your first and middle names in the Bickham Swash and your last name underneath in the block (artistically, not just thrown in, lol)?

I'm using the same font and I am actually reducing the size of the capital letter a bit because FI's name is long and it looks kind of funny compared to my relatively shorter name.

I would mock up what I mean, but I'm about to head home. If I feel okay enough (head cold), I might do it when I get home.  :)

planning

• edited January 2010
    Maybe like this? (hoping this works...)

And "together with their parents" is the perfect solution to your problem :)

planning

• Well, keep in mind that names of parents on invites indicate who is hosting - not who is paying.  So if the non-paying parents will be hosting as well, it's appropriate to name them. 

To indicate that two people are not married, regardless of last name, they should be listed as
    Woman and
    Man

on separate lines.  Being on the same line indicates marriage.

You could do this, to alleviate the two line name thing: 

Mr. and Mrs. Mariati and
    Ms. Jane Harvier and
    Mr. John Harvier
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of their children
    Andrea Lea
    and
    Chad Henry, Junior
    on Saturday, the eighth of May
    two thousand ten
    at half after five o'clock in the afternoon.

Venue Name
    Address
    City, State
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I think it looks fine the way it is. I see why you're questioning having the two lines because it's unusual, but I don't think I would think twice about it if I received that invitation. And I like the font.

I'm not generally a fan of "together with their families" without naming names, but I do think it makes sense in this case. How does FH's mom feel about it since she's the one paying most of the money?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_two-line-names-invitation-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:c176d47c-d68a-47f3-92da-3e46a764fb30Post:bc92193d-10e1-4b0e-ab6a-afa5441c0d37">Re: Two-Line names and invitation wording</a>:
    [QUOTE] To indicate that two people are not married, regardless of last name, they should be listed as Woman and Man on separate lines.  Being on the same line indicates marriage.
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

According to Crane's Wedding Blue Book using "and" indicates marriage.

If she must list all the parents involved, she should list them line by line without any commas or the word and. The commas and the final "and" you would include if reading it aloud are implied. I've never liked the look of a million names on the top of invitations, mainly because it leads to the line "marriage of their children" and it sounds like either kids are getting married or that siblings are getting married. JMO.

Mr. and Mrs. Mariati
    Ms. Jane Harvier
    Mr. John Harvier
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of their children
    Andrea Lea
    and
    planning

• These are some great suggestions and thank you JanoBean for the mockup you did.  I'll play around with that idea a little bit more.

I could take some of the flourishes out (if you look at the middle names, those are the more "subdued flourish" letters) but I was having way too much fun with them to begin with.  The venue I had on the bottom in block text, I just cut that out to put it up here.  I'll have to double check with his mom to find out if she has a preference since she's contributing the most to the event.  I know my dad could care less.  I'm just trying to put together a mock-up for the whole invitation so everyone involved has some idea of what it would look like.

Thank you guys a ton!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards