Moms and Maids

Not invited to Thanksgiving

My fiance's mother said that she "does not support" the wedding, and that my fiance should "not expect anything" from her. She never told us why she feels that way or anything along those lines. Now it is Thanksgiving, and we have not been invited to go over there for a family dinner, and I am completely bummed out as we will be celebrating it at home, just the two of us. I prefer a close-kniot family affair, and it seems like I won't have that, not with his mom's side of the family anyway.Frown

Re: Not invited to Thanksgiving

• janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That stinks.  I would personally stay out of it though and let your FI deal with his family.
  • edited December 2011

That sucks.  I agree w/PP-Let your FI deal w/his family.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_not-invited-thanksgiving?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:867055f4-ddbb-4ece-a269-7a187fb94579Post:5fcfafc0-cfce-4f65-ba63-4caceb929d1f">Not invited to Thanksgiving</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance's mother said that she "does not support" the wedding, and that my fiance should "not expect anything" from her. She never told us why she feels that way or anything along those lines. Now it is Thanksgiving, and we have not been invited to go over there for a family dinner, and I am completely bummed out as we will be celebrating it at home, just the two of us. I prefer a close-kniot family affair, and it seems like I won't have that, not with his mom's side of the family anyway.
    Posted by dapostol[/QUOTE]

Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you and your fiance are having a very special day.

Did she mean that she can't support the wedding financially or morally and that your fiance should not expect financial help with it?  Because if it's about money that makes my answer totally different, than if it is because she disaproves.

You didn't say wether or not your FMIL will be spending Thanksgiving alone or if she is hosting it and inviting other people and you two were intentionly not invited.  This info would also affect my reply.

Perhaps you could fill in some details. 
  • duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want to know why she said she doesn't support it because that will affect my answer.

With that being said, it is preferable that he handles his own mother. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards