Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bridal Shower and Invites to Wedding

I really don't know much about wedding ettiquette and I want to be respectful to everyone involved.
I'm having a small wedding (75 people) and it's being held in Muskegon, MI. it's practically a destination wedding because I go to school in West VIrginia and my family is all over michigan, ohio, and illionois. My fiance and I are also having a reception in West Virginia for our church family and school friends. I have a friend from church who is giving me a shower in West Viriginia. Should she be invited to the ceremony or is it ok to invite her to the reception only?

Originally I wasn't going to invite her because we want a small-mostly family- wedding and I knew she was going to be included in the reception. But, like I said, I want to be respectful and don't really know what to do because I'm stressed about the numbers already.
Thanks for the help! :)

Re: Bridal Shower and Invites to Wedding

• Generally speaking, you have to invite anyone invited to a shower to the actual wedding.  That said, I believe there's usually an exception for things like church and work showers, since you're obviously not expected to invite your entire workplace or church congregation to the wedding.  I think as long as she's invited to the W.Va. reception, you're okay, but other ladies on this board may have a better fix on the etiquette of this than I do.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Everyone invited to the shower needs to be invited to the wedding.  Everyone invited to the WV reception also needs to be invited to the wedding.  (They may not make the trip, but you need to give them the option.)
  • If you invite them to the shower, you must invite them to the wedding. As a PP stated, the general exception to this rule is a work shower, as some work friends will throw lunch showers and do not expect to be invited to the wedding. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-shower-invites-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a50365a7-6c73-4cc6-8f3b-57f54476bdacPost:f670d7c7-c938-4c8d-bfd3-d17e7e5d22bc">Re: Bridal Shower and Invites to Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Everyone invited to the shower needs to be invited to the wedding.  Everyone invited to the WV reception also needs to be invited to the wedding.  (They may not make the trip, but you need to give them the option.)
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

This.  An "At Home Reception" is a party for those who couldn't travel to the wedding; not those who weren't invited.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards