Attire & Accessories Forum

Preserving your wedding dress BEFORE the wedding

Hello!

I've been wondering how other brides are choosing to store their wedding dresses before the wedding day. What measures have you taken to prevent yellowing or stale smells (if any at all)?

Pre-wedding dress preservation has never occured to me until now, and what information I can find all pertains to preserving the dress after the wedding. Since the gown has never been worn, are extensive storage precautions even necessary?

Any advice / thoughts / suggesitions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Preserving your wedding dress BEFORE the wedding

• It should under no circumstances yellow that quickly. Just keep it away from light and dirt and don't put too much hanging strain on any one point. If you like, make sure it is in a fabric garment bag so it can breathe.
  • Thanks everyone!

What you suggested is what I'd been thinking from the start, but I just wanted to make sure.

I will have my dress over a year before the wedding (turns out the 4-6 month shipping time was a tad over exaggerated), so I was concerned that special storage would be necessary. However, keeping it in a proper garment bag and airring it out once a month makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks again!
  • I wrapped my dress in two clean white sheets and then hung it in a white garment bag in my father's closet for 11 months before the wedding.  No issues.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_preserving-wedding-dress-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:f251a393-360e-483c-b3ac-343e4879075ePost:138f0aa2-5cad-4aff-af9e-5ae6c700a74f">Re: Preserving your wedding dress BEFORE the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wrapped my dress in two clean white sheets and then hung it in a white garment bag in my father's closet for 11 months before the wedding.  No issues.
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

Excellent - thank you!
  • Mine was kept at my grandma's in a garment bag.
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited October 2010
    Garmet bag, wrap in a white sheet, in a dark closet. I kept mine "safe" that way.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_preserving-wedding-dress-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:f251a393-360e-483c-b3ac-343e4879075ePost:eba4a164-aebd-41ca-8bd1-16178ebf4f98">Re: Preserving your wedding dress BEFORE the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Preserving your wedding dress BEFORE the wedding : Just out of curiosity, is the white sheet used to keep dust off the dress?Or is it to allow the garment to 'breath' better?
    Posted by VRL[/QUOTE]

And ... Did you choose a white sheet b/c the dress is white??  Inquiring minds ... thanks!
  • i bought my dress back on january.

i keep it stored under the mattress slats (we have a platform bed), wrapped in a white sheet- so the material can breathe.

also the bed helps keep the pets away :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards