Honeymoon Discussions

August in Bermuda or Peurto Rico Help

Getting married at the end of August in MA and looking for a honemoon destination for 5 days or so for under $3,000.

I am leaning towards either Bermuda or Peurto Rico because i'm looking for a place not too far from the east coast and not too expensive. Do you think either one of these will meet my wish list and if so can you offer any advice?

We don't want to spend a whole day traveling to and from and must speak english.
Looking for something relaxing thats not crowded.
Would love to be able to play around of golf one day, take a bike or moped into town (aka must be a safe place to visit)
Looking more for quite and relaxing, not a lot of families, or partying tourists.
And of course, beautiful scenery!

Thanks.

Thanks for the help.

Re: August in Bermuda or Peurto Rico Help

• AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2012
    We married and honeymooned in Bermuda.  I'm not sure it fits your criteria, honestly.  Bermuda is very expensive, very humind in August, and I would NOT recommend renting a moped to get around the island.  It's quite congested there now and with all the driving on the left, even the hotels and bike renters are trying to dissuade tourists from getting on bikes and potentially seriously hurting themselves. 

It does have beautiful golf courses and places away from Hamilton and either tip of the island can be very relaxing and quiet.  I loved it there and it was worth every penny... but we spent a lot of pennies.  Air fare for us alone from Philly was ~ $1000.  Eating on the island is very expensive.  They have reasonably priced hotels, but they will be inland from the water.  They do, however, have a great bus/ferry system to get you all over the island.  You aren't beholden to taxis.  We did a mix of both.  Just some things to consider.

What would you think of cruising to Bermuda?  That would be relaxing, beautiful, and good for your price range.  Many cruises take you two different ports in Bermuda so you'd get to see the island without having to hop on a moped.  Cruises to Bermuda leave from NYC, Philly, Boston and Baltimore.
  • I've been to Bermuda twice (stayed at the St. George's Club) and both times I got around the island on moped's without a problem.  It was a lot of fun.   However, I don't think we could have done it for $3500 total.  Just the airfare from NOLA was around 1300 (I forget the exact amount) and the only reason I could afford the trip at all was because my grandparents owned a timeshare there that they let us use.   It's not a cheap place to eat or drink or be entertained either but it DOES have the safety and the charm that you're looking for. 

Puerto Rico is probably a more budget friendly choice although I've never been there.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_august-in-bermuda-or-peurto-rico-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6241734f-11c4-4381-a6b9-457580965d4aPost:a1810126-6904-4800-a9b0-aa64d8d77338">Re: August in Bermuda or Peurto Rico Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]We married and honeymooned in Bermuda.  I'm not sure it fits your criteria, honestly. <strong> Bermuda is very expensive, very humind in August, and I would NOT recommend renting a moped to get around the island.  It's quite congested there now and with all the driving on the left, even the hotels and bike renters are trying to dissuade tourists from getting on bikes and potentially seriously hurting themselves</strong>.  It does have beautiful golf courses and places away from Hamilton and either tip of the island can be very relaxing and quiet.  I loved it there and it was worth every penny... but we spent a lot of pennies.  Air fare for us alone from Philly was ~ $1000.  Eating on the island is very expensive.  They have reasonably priced hotels, but they will be inland from the water.  They do, however, have a <strong>great bus/ferry system to get you all over the island</strong>.  You aren't beholden to taxis.  We did a mix of both.  Just some things to consider. <strong>What would you think of cruising to Bermuda?  That would be relaxing, beautiful, and good for your price range.</strong>  Many cruises take you two different ports in Bermuda so you'd get to see the island without having to hop on a moped.  Cruises to Bermuda leave from NYC, Philly, Boston and Baltimore.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

All the bolded parts!  We cruised to Bermuda out of Boston and docked in Hamilton. We ate most of our meals on board since the island was so expensive! We got a multi-day bus/ferry pass and saw the island that way. No way was I going to rent a moped!!!!! We saw many accidents while we were there.
    Anniversary
  • There are cruises to Bermuda from Boston from the seaport district, but I'm not sure about cost..

If Puerto Rico is on your list, what about the Bahamas? There are non-stop flights to Grand Bahama and Nassau from Boston and it is even closer than PR. I have been to Grand Bahama and I absolutely loved it (Pelican Bay Resort). There are also a few other nice hotels near the center of town such as the Radisson.  It was very inexpensive and there were lots of options for food and drinks in the plaza. It was very humid, but that didn't bother me since I was at the beach the whole time and would just jump in when I got hot.

However, I would not recommend renting a moped on any island - it is too dangerous. A lot of roads have a lot of gravel and can be slippery, plus the rules of the road are different, and even if you figure them out there are tourists in cars who may not know them (and guess who will be OK if a moped and a car collide?).  It is much safer to rent a car, and shouldn't be that expensive.

Good luck :)
  • H and I went to Puerto Rico and we loved it.  Depending on where you eat and what activities you do, it can be pretty budget friendly.  We did A LOT of activities and still managed to stay on budget.  We did do several cheap lunches and then splurged for dinners, so that helped keep our food budget on track.

If you want to get around the island, I'd recommend a car just because drivers are a little sketch (I don't think we saw a single car that didn't have body damage, and a little dent on a car could mean a pretty serious injury on a moped).  Other than that though, the driving wasn't too bad, and if you stay in the Isla Verde or Condado areas, the bus system is really easy to get to Old San Juan for walking around & restaurants.  You could also stay in Fajardo, which is going to be much less crowded/touristy, but you'll probably need a car the whole time (we only rented one for two days).
    Anniversary
  • Bermuda is expensive but definitely beautiful!  I've been twice, once on a cruise in high school with my family and then again at age like 24 with my family.  When we went a few years ago we stayed at "The Reefs".  My parents stay there every 5 years for their anniversary.  It's a small, quiet place with non-partying tourists.  They do have a breakfast and dinner plan but lunch and drinks are not included.  There is a moped rental right across the street which is convenient.
    Anniversary
  • We just booked a cruise through Royal Carribean to Bermuda in August leaving from Baltimore. Our cruise is eight nights. The total price was 1448 for the two of us. We've never been to Bermuda, so we're looking forward to it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards