Florida-South Florida

Ceremony start time on invitation....

The ceremony starts at 6pm, and I am debating putting on the invitatoin at 5:30. I thought this was suppose to be tacky but my DOC told me it was completely fine. The ceremony is at the Grove Isle and there are no other weddings going on. All my family is cuban and lives nearby so I don't want them to run late, but FI's family is from out of town and will most likely be staying at the hotel.
What do you think?

Re: Ceremony start time on invitation....

• edited December 2011
    we were planning on mine starting at 5:30, but we put 5 on the invites! :)
    Photobucket
  • Dee729Dee729 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we started at 6:30....our invites called for 6...
  • edited December 2011
    I debated putting two times on the invitations, one for the Cubans, one for everyone else that I don't want to be sitting there for 40 minutes. Maybe you can put "6:00pm sharp (not Cuban time)" on the invitation? That's tacky I guess...
  • adclovesadcloves member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most cermonies typically only take 30 mins. So if you are starting...truly starting at 6, then 5:30 should not be a problem. My invitations will say 4 but the ceremony is not starting until 4:30, and will be over by 5. Most places give you an hour for the ceremony. I think you will be fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My family does not know how to be on time for ANYTHING.
    We put 3:30 on the invites, but we plan on starting at 4.
  • MariMac84MariMac84 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want my ceremony to start at 5 and I put 5 on the invites.
    What I did was, on the Guest Information card with the directions, I added
    "The Ceremony will begin promptly at 5:00 pm"

I also put it on our wedding website for the guests
  • edited December 2011
    All my family are from Cuba the ceremony star at 4 and we put the invitation at 3:30.Cuban are late for everything .
  • Jeni10cscJeni10csc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think it's common in hispanic culture to put 30 minutes earlier. think about it. by the time they arrive, say hi to everyone, find a seat, and get their cameras ready, your bridal party is walking in!
  • edited December 2011
    Yea, I put 4:15 when mine starts at 4:45.
    :: Lynette & PJ :: 1.22.11 :: For Sale ::
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, our wedding is starting at 6 pm and my whole family is Cuban so my invite says 5:30pm.  I went to a wedding where the invite said 4:45 and the ceremony didn't start til 5:30pm.  I was waiting and waiting but I guess it worked becasue there were guests crawling in the back door til about 5 minutes before the ceremony started.
  • edited December 2011
    lol yea I put 10:30am when it starts at 11...it gives people time to get a little lost, run a little late, and find parking! people don't mind the wait as they are taking in all the details of the ceremony and saying hi to people. I definitely recommend putting the start time 30 mins earlier! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am a pretty punctual cuban girl (WE DO EXSIST...LOL) but I will put a half hour time buffer on the invite for all those that are not.
    30 minutes before sounds like the common trend...otherwise I have seen that "promptly at 6:30" works perfectly well. 
  • edited December 2011

Ileana!!! Hey we work on 3 main together, lol!!!!

Stephany Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I was tricked by this once and I was not pleased about it. I understand why the bride did it, because it was in LA and everyone is always late in LA, but I'm from the midwest, where everyone is always early, so I had to sit around for 45 minutes for the ceremony. It was awful. I have read that it's considered acceptable to put a false start time on the invite, but if I were you I might do the false start on the invite, and then have someone warn the guests who tend to be early that it doesn't really start until 30 minutes later. Or else have something to do for the guests who politely get to your fake start time early or on time (not sure what that could be though). It's really not pleasant sitting around for 45 minutes at a ceremony location...it's kind of a punishment to those who are considerate and arrive early.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the responses! I'm defitnetly going to do it! That way they have time to enjoy a drink (of water) and the view, chit chat and get a seat.
    Thanks!

Stephany- We talked about this at work once! I thought you knew I was on here :)
  • edited December 2011
    LOL yea I remember, but it clicked when I saw your name last night, and I've seen you around here but never put two and two together, lol. Like I knew you were on TK but didn't know exactly who
    Stephany Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Dewreb....for those of us from S. Florida who run on time (shocking i know!) it is also very annoying to be tricked into getting somewhere wayyy early. Typically for weddings arriving 15 minutes early is considered on time...so add the extra 30 minute buffer and you have one unhappy, hungry guest waiting around for 45 minutes! If you need to allow the extra time for the family, let your punctual friends know about the 'trick'...it would make us much happier. :)

I am doing 5:30 on the invites for a 5:30 wedding, with a note on the website that the ceremony will begin promptly. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am putting 30 minutes prior on mines as well (yes the cuban family) however those little bastards already know the trick so im sure they will be late regardless! LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards