Attire & Accessories Forum

Tuxedo for a 4:30 pm ceremony? appropriate or no?

Hi ladies,
My SO wants to have a tux made for him (for our wedding, but for future use as well).

If our ceremony will be at 4:30 or 5ish, is a tux appropriate? Or would a nice grey suit be more suitable?

TIA! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tuxedo for a 4:30 pm ceremony? appropriate or no?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_tuxedo-for-a-430-pm-ceremony-appropriate-or-no?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:2a54e6e7-9bd8-4f4a-8ca8-32f5841b8f23Post:ad2aeaa4-2a65-4eff-bcc6-6bba7bd422f0">Re: Tuxedo for a 4:30 pm ceremony? appropriate or no?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No tuxes before 6. I mean, people do it, and it is common, but tuxes are evening wear and 4:30 is still the afternoon.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

Thanks; that's kind of what I thought, but I just wanted it confirmed.

He's not going to be happy when I tell him...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• CMGr has taught me no tux before 6pm and it must be black.

I honestly think it's a victimless crime. If he really wants to wear a tux at 5pm, fine.
  • These are all good points to keep in mind.

I'll just have to see what he says.
    Thanks ladies :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_tuxedo-for-a-430-pm-ceremony-appropriate-or-no?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:2a54e6e7-9bd8-4f4a-8ca8-32f5841b8f23Post:420d66de-1b0c-42ba-acb6-06a532f2f117">Re: Tuxedo for a 4:30 pm ceremony? appropriate or no?</a>:
    [QUOTE]CMGr has taught me no tux before 6pm and it must be black. I honestly think it's a victimless crime. If he really wants to wear a tux at 5pm, fine.
    Posted by misssunshine17[/QUOTE]

This

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    My H and his GMs wore tuxes at our 4:30pm ceremony.  I had suggested in the beginning that they wear suits since our wedding wasn't going to be a super swanky affair, but H wanted to wear a tux.  Who was I to tell him no?

If you FI really wants to wear a tux for your wedding then let him.  It really is not that big of a deal.

Edit:  I also don't think it is such a huge deal to have tuxes worn at a 4:30 or 5pm affair.  Yeah, it is still before 6pm, but most likely the event will last until 10 or 11pm so tuxes would be appropriate at that time.  It is when the ceremonies start in the early afternoon that tuxes just look too heavy and formal.  That is just my opinion.

• Thanks Maggie.

I think I'll leave this as his call. If he wants a tux, he gets a tux. He should have some say afterall (I suppose).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My husband got a good deal on a tux and a suit when he bought both together.  He wore the suit at our wedding, and has worn the tux several times since then (we've only  been married about 10 months).   

If he has occasion to wear a tux, then he should get one, whether he wears it for the wedding or not:-)  
    DSC_9275
  • My FI is wearing a tux for our 4pm ceremony. He said he wants to feel like James Bond (his words).... so whatever.

We are getting married in vegas, so i think itll be perfect and no one will really side-eye it. Our wedding isnt super swanky either. He just really likes bow-ties and suspenders.
  • QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2013
    My partner wore a tux for our 3pm ceremony.  Yes, I know it's supposed to be after 5pm. But, honestly, it just wasn't a hill I was willing to die on.   It just wasn't that big of a deal to me, and it's just so commonly done, I don't think it makes people look all that clueless.
  • If he wants to wear a tux let him wear a flippin tux. I promise you none of your guests (unless the crowd is full of etiquette-anal prudes) will say "Oh my goodness, the groom is wearing a TUXEDO!!"

Let him wear his tux :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Amanda1443994Amanda1443994 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2013
    Unless you're having a casual reception, let him wear the tux. Seriously no one is going to side-eye it. If you aren't having a very formal evening reception, though, then I would say no and that a suit would be more appropriate.

Our wedding started at 5pm, and my husband and all his groomsmen wore tuxes. We had an extremely formal evening reception afterward and it would have looked odd if he didn't wear the tux.

ETA: I've also never been to a wedding wear the groom didn't wear a tux.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • I vote for a tux - when you look at your wedding pics on your 50th anniversary you won't remember what time the ceremony was.  I wouldn't outfit his groomsmen in them, but certianly if you're wearing a formal dress (as wedding dresses are), he can wear a formal tux.
    My two cents! it's his special day, let him be your james bond.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_tuxedo-for-a-430-pm-ceremony-appropriate-or-no?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:2a54e6e7-9bd8-4f4a-8ca8-32f5841b8f23Post:7ee0a626-50f0-4aa1-a050-184ebc899b42">Re: Tuxedo for a 4:30 pm ceremony? appropriate or no?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If he wants to wear a tux let him wear a flippin tux. I promise you none of your guests (unless the crowd is full of etiquette-anal prudes) will say "Oh my goodness, the groom is wearing a TUXEDO!!" Let him wear his tux :)
    Posted by csweaney[/QUOTE]

This.

My fiance, who has zero reason to own a suit or a tux, went into a rental shop and picked his favorite one for the occasion.  No one looked at him like he was nuts for our 5pm ceremony.  My stepson wore a bowtie because he wanted to be like Dr. Who. They had Transformer and Batman cufflinks.  It was cute.  

Coolest thing about it being your wedding, is that as long as you don't out right do something that is common sense offensive, you can do what you wish! 
    photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_tuxedo-for-a-430-pm-ceremony-appropriate-or-no?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:2a54e6e7-9bd8-4f4a-8ca8-32f5841b8f23Post:bb38958e-6acc-44f7-9729-7bbc1b20fc7d">Tuxedo for a 4:30 pm ceremony? appropriate or no?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies, My SO wants to have a tux made for him (for our wedding, but for future use as well). If our ceremony will be at 4:30 or 5ish, is a tux appropriate? Or would a nice grey suit be more suitable? TIA! 
    Posted by TeddiD34[/QUOTE]

Is the reception in the evening? If so, I think a tux is fine. I have been to a million weddings where ceremony was around that time, and the groom wore a tux esp if your reception is all evening long
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_tuxedo-for-a-430-pm-ceremony-appropriate-or-no?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:2a54e6e7-9bd8-4f4a-8ca8-32f5841b8f23Post:9bd824a7-743d-4171-8f71-d6c9aeeb2a6e">Re: Tuxedo for a 4:30 pm ceremony? appropriate or no?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Unless you're having a casual reception, let him wear the tux. Seriously no one is going to side-eye it. If you aren't having a very formal evening reception, though, then I would say no and that a suit would be more appropriate. Our wedding started at 5pm, and my husband and all his groomsmen wore tuxes. We had an extremely formal evening reception afterward and it would have looked odd if he didn't wear the tux. ETA:<strong> I've also never been to a wedding wear the groom didn't wear a tux.
    </strong>Posted by Amanda1443994[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY. I am floored by this "etiquette" thing. I have been to a million weddings and can't think of a time they groom didn't wear a tux. Many were catholic church weddings where the ceremony was in the afternoon, too...

Obviously if it is sometype of beach wedding, I would understand.

But alot of ceremonies start earlier with evening receptions..Personally, I think a tux is fine...calle me the etiquette breaker! LMAO
  • Technically no, but I mean, most brides are in big, huge ball gowns at 2 in the afternoon. Technically a ball gown is evening wear as well - would you wear a red ball gown in the afternoon? Nope. If he wants to he certainly can wear a tux. I wouldn't side eye it because your reception would be in the evening anyways. 
  • Fi owns a black tux, and he wanted to wear it. We're having a church ceremony at 2:00. Meh. He's also wearing a Lego groom bout. Meh again. He hasn't asked for a lot, and those two things were particularly important to him. I've also never been to wedding where the groom wasn't in a tux, never mind if it was 11:00 am. Never heard it wasn't acceptible before TK. I did mention it to FI, but much like PP, it wasn't a hill I was willing to die on. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn't even realize that they weren't supposed to wear tuxes before 6! Every wedding I have been to has been around 4:30-5, and they always wear tuxes. My FI wants a tux, initially ivory, which I shot down quickly thinking of my ivory dress and his ivory suit, but I will definitely support his decision to wear a black tux. Obviously my friends and family won't judge us because they all have done the same thing ;-)
  • Our ceremony will be outside and all the guys are wearing tuxes AND it starts at 4pm. Were having it a barn too. All the guys wanted to wear tuxes so i was like, ok whatevs. No big deal ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    PersonalMilestone
  • I also have to chime in - probably 90% of the weddings I've ever attended had the grooms wearing a tux before 6 pm.  I can promise you NO ONE was chattering about the scandal during cocktail  hour or dinner.

A wedding gown is certainly not "daytime wear" but is totally acceptable so what is the big deal about tuxes prior to 6pm?  There isn't one.  I do love the look of dark suits or nice gray suits, but this is not an etiquette hill to die on if it is important to your FI.
  • Wow, thanks for posting such a response to this.

Me and SO had a chat last night, and we're pretty sure our ceremony won't start until 5:30 or 6 so we'll be good either way. He will have use for a tux after the wedding and loves getting all gussied up for fancy dinners and sh!t. His tux won't go to waste.

Plus, that saves on $$ for changing the open bar from 8 hours to 5 (still working on all of the details. Our wedding's not for quite a while).

Thank you all!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• There is also an old rule that precious stones, especially diamonds, should not be worn before evening.  I don't hear too many women pushing that rule or getting huffy about the fact that gowns are as close to the equivalent as tuxes as we're going to get.  Sure, a tux might technically be out of place but most brides wear something that is technically out of place as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • masdumasmasdumas member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2013
    2 things
    wear a tux - the bulk of your event will be after 6.
    Good call on buying - it will fit him better; he'll get some use of it, and he'll take care of it - plus you don't hear of brides renting their dresses do you?

also make sure you go to a good tailor to have it made
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards