Snarky Brides

Awkward Weddings

So, my BM is currently at her BF's brother's wedding, and she's giving me minute-by-minute updates on the awkwardness of everything.

It's the first time she's met his family.  Last night, she told me they were outside of the rehearsal, freezing.  There were no booze, since the groom does not drink, BF is a GM, so he couldn't really socialize with her, his nephew started calling her "Diaper Lady," as the family were commenting how lost she looks.

Now, she's getting ready, and the florist brought in a whole box of bouquets.  Someone told BM that one is for her.  Don't get me wrong, it was really nice, but no one handed her one, so she's just waiting to grab the last bouquet standing.

Anyone else have any awkward wedding stories?

Re: Awkward Weddings

• Diaper lady?  How does that make sense?
  • No idea.  That's just what the kid started calling her.
  • Mike's mother's best friends are Jersey trash. I mean, right from the show. We went to a wedding two years ago where the ceremony was on the beach and the reception was in a private house on the beach. Here are some of the defining moments.

1) The house was meant for 50, 75 people max. There were at least 175 there.
    2) Cocktail hour started before the ceremony so people were half in the bag by the ceremony. Some one brought a transistor radio to the ceremony to listen to the Yankees game and every one was high fiving each other after big plays. I marched up to them and freaked out about how rude they were being. Yeah, every one acted like I was the one who brought the awkward.
    3) This is the bride who asked me not to wear my ering to her engagement party so you can tell there is no love loss there.
    4) Absolutely no one danced. This is when the song "move your body like a cyclone" was big. They played it THREE times.
    4) Instead of properly busing tables the wait staff literally would walk up to a table and do a 'one arm swoop' to clear it. Glasses were shattering everywhere.
    5) Mike's mom ended up smoking a doobie with the MOB. Hey, at least she was effing quiet for the ride home.
  • When my cousin got married six years ago, you can tell that his bride was running the show. This was the first time my family had met her, and she just seemed really phony. My cousin--the GROOM--basically stood in a corner all night and didn't socialize with anyone. When we got in the car afterwards, I said, "This marriage is not lasting long."

They got divorced a year later.
  • In high school I went to my then-boyfriend's uncle's wedding.  The couple met at AA, so the ceremony included a really long reading of the twelve steps.  We also had to stand up and do some sort of calling to the four winds (which was allegedly a Native American thing, although neither was Native Amerian), and for the recessional, they passed out a lyrics sheet to the guests and we all had to sing "I'm a Believer" from Shrek.

The reception was dry and the cake had a Harley on it.  They were divorced within two years.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • LOL LOL Im just imagining all this lol

I haven't really had much awkward wedding moments except for when I only know the bride, not really anyone else and Im just sitting by myself twiddling my thumbs, I left by the time first dance happened, and I dont really like forcing myself onto people and introducing myself lol *shy*
    My Shoes :)Photobucket
  • I was at a wedding at a Chinese restaurant for my ex's cousin. First the bride kept the groom waiting at the altar for a long time - like 10 minutes. The videographer was crouched in front of us waiting, and he turned to us at one point and asked if we thought he would still get paid if she doecided not to show.

She finally arrives (she was a really bitch, and wanted all the attention to be on her). The ceremony starts, and her family starts loudly talking in Chinese during the the whole thing. If that wasn't bad enough, the servers in the kitchen start throwing pots at each other and yelling at each other.

With all of this going on, you could barely hear the ceremony. The one part we did hear (because she yelled it out) was during the "for richer and for poorer" part. Instead of saying that, she yelled "for richer or for richer".

Most trash-tastic wedding ever.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_awkward-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:df07b0ea-4d4a-43fb-8210-e503093b3808Post:366b9fce-1c05-41c5-9ab2-d39b0927f4bc">Re: Awkward Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was at a wedding at a Chinese restaurant for my ex's cousin. First the bride kept the groom waiting at the altar for a long time - like 10 minutes. The videographer was crouched in front of us waiting, and he turned to us at one point and asked if we thought he would still get paid if she doecided not to show. She finally arrives (she was a really bitch, and wanted all the attention to be on her). The ceremony starts, and her family starts loudly talking in Chinese during the the whole thing. If that wasn't bad enough, the servers in the kitchen start throwing pots at each other and yelling at each other. With all of this going on, you could barely hear the ceremony. The one part we did hear (because she yelled it out) was during the "for richer and for poorer" part. Instead of saying that, she yelled <strong>"for richer or for richer".</strong> Most trash-tastic wedding ever.
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>LOL

</div>
  • Yeah, then at the reception the bride asked me if the classes I was taking for my second degree would help me with my job as a secretary. I despise the C word, but I really wanted to use it at that point.

Hey, I may not have the best job now, but at least FI & I don't need matching prescriptions for acne meds in our 30s. She was so miserable, and I am so happy I will never see her again.
  • FI's cousin's wedding 5 years ago, I think.  During the ceremony, the unity candle wouldn't like.  Seriously, they spent 10 minutes trying to get the wick to burn, it just wouldn't.  They had the reception at the VFW, but they didn't get there until 2 hours or so after the rest of us were there.  They went barhopping to the neighboring towns.  We got drunk and were half in the bag and starving when they arrived.  Everything else was probably uninteresting, I don't really remember it.

A few weeks later, it came out to family, that the bride's father had caught the groom in the bathroom with the MOH, her dress hiked up to her waist on the sink, during the reception.  They were separated a little while after, I think.  We're pretty sure she demanded to get married so her dad would get to walk her down the aisle before he died, which was shortly after the separation.

The unity candle was pretty prophetic, IMO.
  • Okay, so I've been to two awkward weddings. The first was about ten years ago and it was my step-dad's fourth marriage. I can't stand his wife and I had to be one of her bridesmaids along with her two daughters. During the bouquet toss I had to go up there with her daughters and three of my cousins so there were seven of us. I stood way in the back and as soon as she tosses it i try to dodge out of the way and avoid it but it ends up smacking me in the side of the head with the stem part and I was knocked unconscious. And "Dad" made me keep the bouquet cause I caught it with my head -_-

The second was when I received two wedding invitations to the same wedding. My biological father's nephew was marrying my step-dad's neice. That was awfully weird for me.
    Visit Vineyard.weddings.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_awkward-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:df07b0ea-4d4a-43fb-8210-e503093b3808Post:69fe90c1-69e8-4333-bae4-8570b7e33c56">Re: Awkward Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, then at the reception the bride asked me if the classes I was taking for my second degree would help me with my job as a secretary. I despise the C word, but I really wanted to use it at that point. <strong>Hey, I may not have the best job now, but at least FI & I don't need matching prescriptions for acne meds in our 30s.</strong> She was so miserable, and I am so happy I will never see her again.
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]
    this was a great burn. golf claps! you'll have to tell us if you ever use that one to her face. ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_awkward-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:df07b0ea-4d4a-43fb-8210-e503093b3808Post:a5023cef-fd5d-4f1e-90dd-ae473320684a">Re: Awkward Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Awkward Weddings : this was a great burn. golf claps! you'll have to tell us if you ever use that one to her face. ;)
    Posted by SarahSmile23[/QUOTE]

I doubt I will see her again, but if I did I would have no qualms about being nasty to her. I had to play nice to her before because her H was my ex's cousin, and close friend. Now that I don't have to worry about that, all  bets are off.

She was this incredible attention hoar. When she was pregnant, she spent the entire nine months rubbing her belly so people would remember that was pregnant. Once she had the baby, she wouldn't allow anyone but her mother to watch the baby. Her MIL (who was very nice) barely saw the baby.At family events, her and her mom and the baby would disappear into an upstairs bedroom for hours. She also insisted on getting a Chinese speaking nanny so the baby would learn Chinese as her first language. She and the nanny would talk in Chinese for hours, while her H, who is American, couldn't understand a word so he couldn't participate.

BTW, no offense to anyone that is using acne drugs. She was just so nasty it always gave me a perverse pleasure to see her skin look that bad. Karma's a bitch.
  • I haven't been to many weddings.  The only awkward moment I recall off the top of my head involves my FI.  I brought him to the wedding of two college friends and we started talking to an acquaintance of mine and her DH during the cocktail hour.  They were engineers or computer programmers or something along those lines and he felt embarrassed that he was "only" a mechanic (I guess he thought they'd look down on him because he didn't go to college).  Anyway, when they asked what he did for a living, he told them (with a perfectly straight face) that he was an exotic dancer.  In the brief moment before I started laughing hysterically, they just had these uncomfortable smiles on their faces.  I elbowed him (laughing) and said, "No you're not!"  Then he started laughing, they realized it was a joke and started laughing, and I changed the subject since I could tell he didn't want them to know what he did for a living (although I didn't understand why).

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • We went to a wedding with a dry reception in the fellowship hall of the church immediately following (any time I mention going to a dry wedding, you can assume it's one Mr. Heels dragged me to).  We went straight to the reception after going through the receiving line, and there were already no seats left together.  We went through the buffet line (Sam's club type frozen/reheated apps served by the bride's poor family members) and stood next to a table with no chairs.  One of her family members told us we couldn't stand there because that was the table where they were putting all the dirty plates.  So I found a seat at one table and Mr. Heels just kind of hovered nearby.  We weren't even close to being the last ones there, I'm not sure what everyone else did.

By this time we had already decided that we would leave as soon as the cake was cut (there was no music or dancing, either). 

The bride and groom entered, and after they were announced, the bride said "so what do we do now?"  There was no where for them to sit, either. 

They did the ceremonial cake cutting, but no one came to cut the rest of the cake.  I guess it was supposed to be self serve.  We waited about 2 minutes and then left.  I kind of wanted to take our gift back.

On the way home, I was griping about how disorganized it was and how rude it was that they invited everyone they knew when their fellowship hall could only hold 50 people (there must have been 150 people there).  Mr. Heels tried to guilt trip me and give me the whole, "well not everyone is as lucky as us to make a lot of money bla bla bla."  You're right.  So have a small wedding and don't invite everyone you know just so that you get more presents.  
  • I went to a wedding for two of my FI's friends about two years ago. The only thing really awkward was the photographer. She was crazy. FI was one of the GM so I had a front row seat to her crazy antics, too many to go into here. The worst one was when she brought the entire reception to a stand still so she could get family/friend group shots on the dance floor.

My cousin just got married recently and it was awkward for most of my family because it was an evangelical Christian ceremony/reception. My cousin, the groom, has really gotten into religion in the past 5 years, which is cool, but the rest of us are not/never have been into religion. Normally I don't care but there was this whole "The bride should be submissive to her husband as her husband should be submissive to God" bit (the feminist in me bristled) and instead of a garter toss the bride and groom washed each other's feet. That was a very weird ten minutes of reception, watching them wash the other one's feet.   
    Anniversary
  • LabrnrLabrnr member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_awkward-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:df07b0ea-4d4a-43fb-8210-e503093b3808Post:fc9acb08-a895-4b70-81b1-3bef03ac0f9d">Re: Awkward Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, so I've been to two awkward weddings. The first was about ten years ago and it was my step-dad's fourth marriage. I can't stand his wife and I had to be one of her bridesmaids along with her two daughters. During the bouquet toss I had to go up there with her daughters and three of my cousins so there were seven of us. I stood way in the back and as soon as she tosses it i try to dodge out of the way and avoid it but it ends up<strong> smacking me in the side of the head with the stem part and I was knocked unconscious</strong>. And "Dad" made me keep the bouquet cause I caught it with my head -_- The second was when I received two wedding invitations to the same wedding. My biological father's nephew was marrying my step-dad's neice. That was awfully weird for me.
    Posted by antonia_trevino[/QUOTE]

Seriously, you were knocked unconcious from flowers?
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Inviting about 200 to a church that holds about 100. People stood. Then there was no room to stand. People waited outside the church.  Not enough seats at reception either. We actually had seats, but I left before the couple even arrived. I told myself I was doing it because I wanted to give a girl carrying her newborn a place to sit...but I really just didn't want to be there for the rest of the rudeness that I was positive she had in store for us.  Ooh...and I was in a wedding where the bride yelled at the guests. Twice. Good times.  
  • Oh I forgot...the one time I was at a wedding...and the bride's father asked me if I would go to her bridal suite and talk her out of getting married. I can think of nothing more uncomfortable.
  • I was in a wedding a couple years ago and the bride made all of us wear very low cut halter dresses.  I am the smallest of the bridesmaids at a size six but I have a very healthy DD bust - so basically, we looked like a bunch of hookers up there.  Her pastor was very conservative too and I could totally tell he thought we were trashy.  To top it off, about a minute before we went down the aisle, the bride goes "Oh, wait!" and handed us each a handful of synthetic rose petals.  She didn't have a flower girl but still wanted to walk down the aisle on rose petals... and yes, she made us, her bridesmaids, toss them for her.  Her maid of honor got two steps down the aisle and just dropped them all in one place.  It was hilariously awkward.
    panther
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards