Not Engaged Yet

WR: Rehearsal Dinner

Could use some input.  What would you think about having your photographer or videographer around for the rehearsal/rehearsal dinner? 

The rehearsal will be very small  (around 12-16 people) so I'm not sure if having a photographer or videographer would be awkward?  FI and I are having a very contemporary wedding and incorporating very little of his culture into the wedding itself (FI is Indian and it is difficult to merge our cultures without having a separate Indian ceremony, which FI had little interest in) other than the 7 steps and walking around the fire.  In contrast, at the rehearsal, several of us including myself will be in Indian attire and I thought it might be nice to capture the contrast.  

Thoughts? If you think its a good idea, which one would you pick (photos, which are easier to share and frame, or video, which will capture speeches and audio)?  If you think it is a sucky idea, feel free to share as well of course.  :)

Re: WR: Rehearsal Dinner

• Eh...  I definitely wouldn't bother with a videographer, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a photographer around for the rehearsal and dinner if you have the room in your budget for it.

I really enjoyed our rehearsal and dinner and I love looking back at the pictures that my friends took that day.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-rehearsal-dinner-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:5df620a5-b92b-4ce3-b28a-fd158ad2ecf6Post:67f07e8a-c16a-494b-be91-9c597bd38e6d">Re: WR: Rehearsal Dinner</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I really enjoyed our rehearsal and dinner and I love looking back at the pictures that my friends took that day.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

Helpful to know.  I could always just have everyone take pictures as they naturally would instead of hiring our photographer for the rehearsal.  It wouldn't be that much to hire him for a few hours...but still wouldn't be cheap.  That's why I'm waivering...we also have tons of relatives in India that can't make it to the wedding.  I think they would appreciate seeing us dressed up for the rehearsal at least in Indian attire. 
  • I think it's a great idea to get the rehearsal dinner recorded in some way, since you guys will be incorporating some Indian elements. I would probably lean towards using a photographer, since I'm sure you'll look at wedding pictures a lot more in the future than you will watch a video. If you decide to just use a photographer, you can always see if a friend can take a video of the speeches that are given.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think especially since your rehearsal is representing a different culture it would be nice to get some video and photos of the evening. If you are worried about costs do you have a friend who may be willing to photographer the event or a friend to work the video camera for some the important highlights of the evening.

Anniversary

• I'm leaning more towards photographer now.  I think you guys are right that we will likely frame some pictures from that day vs we are not likely to go back to the video as much. 

I'd hate to saddle a friend with the duty of taking video, especially friends who will be drinking and having a good time.  :)

My nephew is 12, however, great with technology and really, really responsible (he gave FI a speech when FI proposed about how FI needed to take care of me for the rest of our lives and if he didn't how my nephew would "find him" and "be very disappointed in him"). :)  He will be there for all the festivities.  Terrible idea to have him man the camera during the speeches only? 
  • I would go with a photographer but if you don't have room no worries.

IDK about the nephew.  Are you having a videographer for your wedding?  I don't see the rehearsal dinner speeches as being that important. But if they are too you I would pay someone unless someone offers.

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-rehearsal-dinner-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:5df620a5-b92b-4ce3-b28a-fd158ad2ecf6Post:9400ce1a-cea1-4060-ae7f-bc8bcc80acde">Re: WR: Rehearsal Dinner</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would go with a photographer but if you don't have room no worries.   IDK about the nephew.  Are you having a videographer for your wedding?  I don't see the rehearsal dinner speeches as being that important. But if they are too you I would pay someone unless someone offers.
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

We are having a videographer for the wedding...that was my one splurge I felt strongly about (my FI had our proposal video taped and I love watching it so I know I will watch a wedding video).  You are probably right, the rehearsal dinner speeches will likely be more "funny" than "moving" kind of important. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards