July 2012 Weddings
Options

My March 21st Freakout - Flower/color help!

Since today is the day of freakouts....here goes!

I recently met with my florist. At the time of the meeting, I was super happy and thrilled with the flowers we had talked about. Well, recently, I started to worry about whether some of the brighter purple flowers that we talked about would fit in with our color scheme. 

To refresh your recollection, our colors are purples, silver, and ivory, with some black accenting/backgrounds. 

Here is what my initial inspiration was for the purples and ivory: http://pinterest.com/pin/11329436532279539/ 

Well, the florist loved my ideas, but encouraged me to add some pops of fuschia to some of our centerpieces and flower arrangements. i think the BM bouquets will still be mostly the more muted purples and ivory, but here is an example of the more bright purples:
http://pinterest.com/pin/11329436532425073/ 
Obviously our centerpieces will not be THIS fuschia, but there will be some pops of fuschia in them. 

Do you think the pops of fuschia work with or against our general color scheme??
Complicating this matter is the fact that my mom just bought a dress that is more fuschia than it is purple to wear for the wedding ceremony (my mom is my matron of honor and isn't matching my bridesmaids for obvious reasons [my bridesmaids are wearing slinky and gorgeous silver dresses and we didn't want my mom to actually look like a bridesmaid]).  So, the pops of fuschia will match her dress nicely....but again, I am just not sure if it works!

Am I being silly?? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for the feedback :)

Re: My March 21st Freakout - Flower/color help!

• Options
    I think that your flowers will look fine with minimal amounts of fuschia. Why did your florist encourage you to include that color? I personally am not the biggest fan of the color, and think that your initial inspiration pic is lovely (coming from a girl whose colors are also shades of purple, mostly light, and ivory). I prefer a soft pink rather than fuschia but again that's my personal preference. Fuschia is just a very bold color, so if you're not totally gaga over it, I would limit is and just put some pops here and there.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think that it's definitely hard to stick to a particular color scheme, especially when you're seeing ALL of these pretty options for colors. That's kind of what it seems like your issue is.  It's really just a question of what YOU WANT your colors to be.

FWIW, No, I do not think you're being silly about this. I do think the fuschia is a totally different look than the purples/ivories that you originally wanted. But, if you LIKE fuschia, then it does look absolutely beautiful. It's just a matter of whether you want to stick to your original vision or if you want to change it.

I ran into the same issue and continue to have issues with colors. I kept fluctuating between muted/watercolor pinks and peaches and ivories and champagnes and golds and then adding in accent colors (bright peaches or bold peaches or maybe even dark pink). I ended up adding in some blue, actually, because of one inspiration photo (http://pinterest.com/pin/112801165636760391/ - that one ) Luckily my florist is being a saint about this stuff because I've changed everything around probably 12 times.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love the fuchsia color added! I might be biased though because my colors are fuchsia, lime green and orange(all very bright) I think it makes your purples really pop and adds a more summery feeling to your centerpieces. I really like it, it brightens everything up a little. But if you have in your head your original colors stand firm to it. Most florists will only make reccommendations on what they know looks best, but in the end it is your wedding and your decision :-)
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_my-march-20th-freakout-flowercolor-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:b4ac8709-5abc-4234-8591-4dd84510dcfbPost:4bee1649-f680-45d1-8f2a-d0767ea7fca5">Re: My March 21st Freakout - Flower/color help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love the fuchsia color added! I might be biased though because my colors are fuchsia, lime green and orange(all very bright)<strong> I think it makes your purples really pop and adds a more summery feeling to your centerpieces.</strong> I really like it, it brightens everything up a little. But if you have in your head your original colors stand firm to it. Most florists will only make reccommendations on what they know looks best, but in the end it is your wedding and your decision :-)
    Posted by lvissers[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what the florist said during our meeting - that the fuschias would make the purples pop more, and lighten up the room to feel more summery.  It made sense at the time and the fuschias are definitely pretty...I am now just second guessing myself!!

bridetobe like you said, it is just a different FEELING than my initial inspiration, if that makes sense, which is why I am torn. i don't have anything against fuschia (in fact, in real life, I love fuschias and bright purples)....it just doesn't go with what i originally had in my head as inspiration.  I totally love your new inspiration pic by the way - I am glad I am not the only one who keeps changing her mind about flower colors/color schemes!

I guess my other worry is, does the fuschia fit in with the ivory and silver combination?? I don't want the color palette to seem like there is too much going on....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_my-march-20th-freakout-flowercolor-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:b4ac8709-5abc-4234-8591-4dd84510dcfbPost:a8a5c290-3b34-4154-ae76-8048a507f3cd">Re: My March 21st Freakout - Flower/color help!</a>:
    [QUOTE] I guess my other worry is, does the fuschia fit in with the ivory and silver combination?? I don't want the color palette to seem like there is too much going on....
    Posted by butterflyjumper1[/QUOTE]

I think it does. Again, it's just a matter of what you want it to look like overall - since it really IS a different feeling (I totally get what you're saying, btw). I think ivories and silvers are basically like neutrals at this point, so you can add a lot of different things to them and they're still just a neutral accent. Does that make sense?

Also, I feel like I should put post-its around my apartment and office saying "ROMANTIC, SOFT COLORS" or "AL FRESCO ELEGANT DINNER PARTY" so that when I see pretty colors or pretty set-ups, I'm not swayed to change my focus or ideas. I really wish my wedding planner would help more with this stuff.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think the colors totally work together. Especially because the majority of your colors are neutrals. Ivory, silver and black can be put together with practically anything! AND purple and fuschia are in the same color family, which means you're not having a lot going on. 

I understand what you mean about changing your original look and I know that sucks. But I really do like your florist's suggestion. If you feel like the fuschia will change the feel too much, could you use more ivory to help balance it out?
  • Options
    no fuschia!  I like your inspiration!
  • Options
    I think it depends on your venue, table linens colors, chairs, etc. If your room is pretty pale colored, you have white linens, white chairs, etc. then I think you may want more of a pop in the centerpieces. Likewise, if you're doing purple linens, you want some contrast in your flower colors. But if you're doing silver linens, I could see the original flower inspiration working really well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it depends on the rest of the venue and decorations.  The purple and ivory is more sophisticated than the fuscia color that your florist is mentioning.  I love it either way and could totally work eitherway.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards