South Carolina-Charleston

Philly knottie here

Hey girls! DH and I are going to Charleston Feb. 7-11th for our first annviersary, and are looking for recomendations. We are staying at the French Quarter Inn. I know we are going to the aquarium but other then that not sure. What are your favorite lunch/dinner spots? What do you like to do at night? DH is into jazz and I see there are a few jazz clubs, any rec's on those as well? We are looking for a romantic dinner one night as well. Also, a good place to get a massage would be great as well. Thanks for your help, and congrats to all of you!

Re: Philly knottie here

• edited December 2011
    Well since you are staying in the same hotel I suggest Tristan, its is DH and I's favorite restarant and where we had our reception.

Also, for breakfast or lunch we love Joseph's, we have to eat there at least once. And S.N.O.B. 
    http://www.josephsofcharleston.com/

Some of the other girls can recommend other places to go. Have fun!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • katydid2014katydid2014 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
     Poogan's Porch is a must for a romantic and delicious brunch.  Bocci's is great for italian, right near the Market, Cru Cafe is a great little spot for lunch or dinner, and Carolina's is extremely romantic and delicious for dinner. 

Take a tour of Aiken Rhett House and/or Nathaniel Russell House.  They are completely different but really amazing properties.
    If you want to venture out to a plantation, Magnolia, Middleton, and Drayton are all pretty impressive in their own ways.  Magnolia and Middleton have fantastic gardens, but Drayton is my favorite because the house is so incredible. 

There is also an IMAX theater near the Aquarium if you want to see a movie while you are in town. They serve alcohol in that theater too!  Just google the Terrace Hippodrome theater to check out the movie listing.  HTH!
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

OMG, I was just coming here to thank the board for their recommendations a couple of months ago when I was going down to Charleston, which I did last week.

You are staying at the most BEAUTIFUL hotel! Our work function was there, and it is fabulous! Trip Advisor just ranked it the #3 best hoel in the country. Best service in the world, make sure to get your glass of champagne when you arrive, and get the breakfast they offer (some, but not a lot was on my WW menu, LOL), and the cheese and wine in the afternoon. Hopefully you have a room with a balcony or small patio, because we sat outside on the balcony in January, in the hotel's bathrobes every morning. Daytime highs middle of last week were in the 60's, sadly, our last day there on Saturday was only 42. I brought back to the room coffee cups of Jelly Bellies that they have in the lobby. The maids never turned me in Wink

If you like history, make sure to see Fort Sumter. Unfortunately our planned day to visit was Saturday, and we just couldn't see getting on a boat in 42 degrees. We went to the Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon, (122 East Bay St) I think it was $7, and they have a history that dates back to the Revolutionary War. Ballroom, where George Washington was entertained in 1791 is breathtaking.

We scheduled dinner at Charleston Grill, which has fabulous jazz, I think at least Thursday - Saturday, the food was AMAZING. It's not cheap, but it was the best meal I think I ever had, and I've eaten in some 4 & 5 star restaurants. (My review of that, and "Toast of Charleston" are on www.tripadvisor.com, under MichiganMom55). Toast of Charleston is really a breakfast place, but they serve other selections during the day. We also ate at Tommy Condon's across the street from French Quarter Inn. More of an "Irish ambiance" place with Irish music if you want drinks one night, food was OK. We also ate at Blossoms, which was VERY good.

Make sure to walk down the Market buildings in front of the French Quarter Inn, as they set up most days, and there are tons of local artisans........ some junk, but some great local finds. Get any souvenirs you want here.

FYI, the stores close pretty early during the week, like 6 pm. I've heard the term "they roll up the streets at X time", but it's really true here. Because I was tied up with work for 3 days until 5 pm, I didn't get much time to shop. Great antique stores and shops on King St (I think).

Also, check out the Historic Charleston Foundation at 40 East Bay St. Their prices were really pretty reasonable, and I bought a soy candle and some local things for my Mom's 80th birthday which I missed while I was there.

This was a "breath of fresh air" for us northerners who are SO sick of winter. There were pansies blooming in nearly every flower pot, bushes with flowers, I'm sure the weather you have a month after our visit will be much more consistent.

Enjoy it! I'm so jealous, you get to go, and I just got back.

• edited December 2011
    One of my favorite restaurants downtown is 82 Queen. It is right next to Poogan's Porch. They both offer the same type of food- lowcountry cuisine, and are both good, but I like 82 Queen just a little bit more. They have really good BBQ shrimp and grits and amazing SheCrab soup. Justine's Kitchen for down-home style comfort food, Hominy Grill for breakfast, Basil for Thai, Kaminsky's for desserts or Cupcake.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards