Wedding Woes

Re: Mother Problems

• TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had almost the same experience with my mom during my wedding and all I can say is I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It doesn't get easier.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry that you're going through this.  You do whatever it is that makes you happy.  It is your wedding and not hers.  If you love that 2nd dress, than make sure you wear it and be the happiest, most beautiful bride for your FI and don't worry about what she thinks.  I know that's easier said than done.
    I haven't told my parents that I'm getting married in March as of yet because I know that they're going to tell me I'm crazy.  This is going to be my third wedding and my FIs 2nd.  We're so happy together and I can't see myself living alone for the rest of my life without him in it.
    I hope that things get better for you, and that things work out for the best.  I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Goodluck and Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.
    Denise
  • redheadtmkredheadtmk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    this is going to sound harsh and i am sorry. it takes two have a crappy relationship. your mother may be toxic but you let her get away with it and feed into it. i used to be that way when i was younger. once i stood up to her and told her i had enough things started to change. anytime she started to be negative i cut her off, told her i wasnt putting up with it anymore and she would stop. you are not going to earn her respect until you stop trying so hard to get it stop sharing details with your mom about the wedding and just enjoy planning with your fiance. you cant change your mom, you can only change the way you deal with her. good luck!
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'm with the other redhead. You can retrain her. There are a few subjects my mother is absolutely poisonous about, and every time she launches into them, I hang up, leave the room, change the subject - something to get her to shut up. Eventually, she's stopped harping on her favorite things, and we can have a friendly relationship. 

But also, don't pay attention to everything she says. She's probably not saying stupid sht specifically to bother you, so ignore the 90% that isn't exceptionally heinous, and call her on the other 10%. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards