Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Leaving the Reception

I just got a quick question for you guys. When it came time to leave the reception, did you change out of your wedding dress before you went to your destination after the wedding? Or did you leave it on until you got to your destination?

Is it a big deal to leave the reception still in your wedding dress? I have a feeling that I'll want to burn it after a couple of hours in it since it's a bit on the heavy side. 

Re: Leaving the Reception

• Options
    Every wedding I've ever been to had the bride leaving in her dress....  I would find it odd if she changed, honestly.
  • Options
    I wore mine out of the reception and to our hotel.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    I am definatly leaving with the gown on.. Plus your new husband wants some action with the gown haha
  • Options
    The only reason I can think of to change before leaving is if you're headed directly to the airport for the honeymoon from the reception, and these days that's extremely uncommon.  Some brides will make their exit, change, then head to the afterparty if they have one, though a lot of brides will just stay in the dress for that.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    The days of the bride changing into her "going away" outfit have gone away.  That was about the same time that they tied tin cans to the bumper of the car, and the bride and groom dashed away from the reception with the bride tossing her bouquet over her shoulder as she ran.  You know:  like in Cary Grant and Grace Kelly movies.

I haven't seen a bride change into a "going away" outfit in decades~okay, I haven't seen a bride change into a "going away" outfit ever.  And that includes me (married 32 years) and both my DIL and DD.  We all left our receptions in our wedding dresses.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_leaving-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:45f89d2e-3a81-4b1d-8b5b-b9f03e005fcdPost:a73bb85c-b549-4f30-b429-e050900da0bb">Re: Leaving the Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>The only reason I can think of to change before leaving is if you're headed directly to the airport for the honeymoon from the reception, and these days that's extremely uncommon</strong>.  Some brides will make their exit, change, then head to the afterparty if they have one, though a lot of brides will just stay in the dress for that.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

This was our situation. My H only had 2 wks off work and we live out of state. We were home 1wk before the wedding to finalize everything and for H sister's college graduation, and the next week was the HM. I really wanted to leave my dress on, but didn't want to take it with me to Jamaica either. So, I changed right before the getaway car showed up at the reception to take us to the hotel.

I really wanted to leave the gown on, but it just didn't make sense for one of our tired parents to come all the way to the hotel at the crack of dawn in the morning before our flight left. Some things you just have to roll with/make the best of, and this was definitely one of them.
  • Options
    The last wedding I went to the bride and groom both changed.........into jeans and t-shirts.  They are not dress and tux people at all.  The bride then drove her and her new husband to the hotel they were spending the night at. 

I plan to wear my dress to the hotel.  Too much hassell to try to change at the reception and I want to get a little more milage out of the dress. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Leaving with my gown on I love it and want to wear it as long as possible.
  • Options
    When I went to my FI's sister's wedding in May, she changed halfway through the reception into capris and sneakers so she could dance easier! It was pretty random because she was dancing and everything and then all of a sudden she just picks up the skirt of her dress and books it back to her hotel room and then reappears ten minutes later all casual.
  • Options
    One popular thing these days is to have a second "reception dress" which is often short and/or sexier than the wedding dress.  Other than this type of change I've never seen someone change out of their wedding dress into a travelling outfit.

I do like the idea of leaving the reception in my fabulous white suit with matching hat and facinator and dashing onto the plane with all of my matching luggage (including a train case with all of my makeup) to go on a luxurious honeymoon.  This will not be happening though.  :(
  • Options
    can i sleep in my dress??? i love my dress too much to take it off... ever lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards