Wedding Party
Options

Just dont know what to do???

My fiance has an 11 year old sister, she is too old to be a flower girl and too young to be a brides maid. Therefore, I have no idea were to put her in the wedding. I definatly want her to be apart of the wedding and I know that it would mean the world to her to be in it. But I just dont know what to do with her? Any suggestions on where to put her in the wedding would be greatly appreicated!
Thanks,
   Chelsie

Re: Just dont know what to do???

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2010
    Why do you think she's too young to be a bridesmaid?  Can she walk down an aisle?  Can she stand respectfully during the ceremony?  Can she smile for the pictures?  Then she's doing EXACTLY what the other BMs are doing.  Make her a BM.

If all your BMs are wearing identical dresses, just find one that complements the other dresses but is age appropriate for an 11 year old.  Ask her.  She'll be thrilled!
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Yeah, I would ask her to be a bridesmaid. I don't think her age is a big deal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_just-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:e80d093a-1a22-4717-a2ff-6e90724e2ba9Post:063c0539-fbd8-4f31-b45c-080533d1927a">Re: Just dont know what to do???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why do you think she's too young to be a bridesmaid.  Can she walk down an aisle?  Can she stand respectfully during the ceremony?  Can she smile for the pictures?  Then she's doing EXACTLY what the other BMs are doing.  Make her a BM. If all your BMs are wearing identical dresses, just find one that complements the other dresses but it age appropriate for an 11 year old.  Ask her.  She'll be thrilled!
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

This exactly.
  • Options
    I have a BM that is 10 and one that is 11.  They are nieces who are very close to us.  I don't see an issue.  We ordered dresses that are almost identical to the other BM dresses except they have straps to make them more age appropriate.
  • Options
    Just ask her to be a BM.  She doesn't need to date the GM.
  • Options

Like everyone said .. BM. They make junior bridesmaid dresses in most of the same colors as they do the BM dresses. My sister-in-law did this when she married my brother in 1999. Her sister was 9 at the time and loved it!

• Options
    She is neither too old to be a FG (mine were almost 10 and our RBs were almost 12) nor too young to be a BM (she's walking in with a GM, not dating him).  Don't exclude her because she doesnt' fit the right stereotypical age for a person in the WP.  Excluding her is something you'd probably regret down the line.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    She can also stand on your FI's side unless she's particularly close to you.  Attendants should stand with the person with whom they share the closest relationship, not with whom they share the most similar anatomy.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    My  11 year old niece was a bridesmaid.  Worked out just fine.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    Junior Bridesmaid.

Easy.
  • Options
    thanks to everyone that posted! i think that the final consences between my fiance and i, is that she will be and juniors braidsmaid!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_just-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:e80d093a-1a22-4717-a2ff-6e90724e2ba9Post:8be9e4fe-7b0b-482b-bacb-f7fa7288d256">Re: Just dont know what to do???</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks to everyone that posted! i think that the final consences between my fiance and i, is that she will be and juniors braidsmaid!
    Posted by cbrinkley6[/QUOTE]

Are you speaking English? Just checking.

Junior bridesmaid and bridesmaid is the exact same thing. The only difference is that you are underlining the fact that she is just not good enough to be a bridesmaid. Just call her a bridesmaid and be done with it.
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think you should give her some role, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a BM.

Our 4 yr old niece is our flower girl and 3 yr old nephew ring bearer.

Our 7 yr old nephew "thinks weddings are stupid!"  We told him he can be a photographer and my mom got him a digital camera and now he is excited about it.

I still have to work out the details but we are going to have our other 2 nieces (9 & 10 yrs old), be ushers and read a poem during the ceremony.

Ultimately you want to give people a role that shows they are important to you, but also that they feel comfortable in. For example, my legally blind brother said he didn't feel comfortable being a groomsman, but he is still has a role in the wedding and is ushering my mom in.
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    imageimage
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
  • Options
    We are making her a juinors bridesmaid because she will have to walk down the isle by herself. Either way i think she will enjoy the attention and be more then happy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards