Maine

I know who makes the best whoopies pies...

YOU DO!  Can you ladies that make your own share your recipes?  FI will be visiting a friend on Saturday and I want a project.  It'll be whoopie pies or pop tarts. 

Re: I know who makes the best whoopies pies...

• edited December 2011
    I definitely do!! I finished my 200 last weekend for our welcome bags! Our entire extra freezer in the garage (no basements in Florida, so lame) is full of whoopie pies. I have my Nana's recipe that I will get type up as soon as I get home from work!! I almost have it memorized after making 200 of them, but I want to give you the correct one. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'd love it too!  :)
    Married 9.4.11
  • edited December 2011
    So sorry!! Got home last night and had no power. I don't know what I'm going to do when the hurricanes start hitting down here in Florida!!

Okay, here it is:
    Pies                                                                                Filling
    1/2 cup shortening                                                         1/2 cup shortening
    1 cup sugar                                                                    2 cups confectionary sugar
    2 egg yolks                                                                     2 egg whites
    1 tsp baking powder                                                      1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp baking soda                                                           pinch of salt
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup whole milk (should definitely be whole)
    1/2-1 tsp vanilla extract
    5 Tblsp cocoa
    2 cups flour

Cream the shortening and sugar together. Then use mixer to blend ingredients, alternating between dry and wet ingredients. What I usually do is combine all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then do dry, wet, dry, wet, dry. For the wet portion, I just put half of each wet ingredient in each time. (If doubling the recipe, do dry, wet, dry, wet, dry, wet, dry, wet, dry)

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out onto a cookie sheet. Cook 10 minutes. They are done when you poke with a finger and they are firm (shouldn't sink down)

For filling, combine ingredients and beat until firm.

This recipe should make 12 pies (24 cookies) depending on the size of the cookies. Also, generally when I make these, I double the recipe.

Side note: The filling has raw egg whites in them. As my Nana says, "I've been making them for 60 years and I've never had a problem!!"
    However, usually I warn people that this is the case so they are aware. Plus, they should stay refrigerated.

For another option, you can use dry egg whites or pasteurized egg whites for the frosting. I usually use regular egg whites, but I used pasteurized egg whites for the ones I baked for the wedding since they will be in the welcome bags and I can't guarantee that people will keep them refrigerated or eat them immediately. I found pasteurized egg whites in a carton, but they were somewhat difficult to find. However, they worked perfectly!!

Have fun and enjoy!!

• edited December 2011
    Thanks, Sarah!
  • edited December 2011
    Just realized that didn't post quite the way I wanted it to. Here's the ingredient list again

Pies
    1/2 cup shortening
    1 cup sugar
    2 egg yolks
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup whole milk (should definitely be whole)
    1/2-1 tsp vanilla extract
    5 Tblsp cocoa
    2 cups flour

Filling
    1/2 cup shortening
    2 cups confectionary sugar
    2 egg whites
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    pinch of salt
  • edited December 2011
    How'd it go Jessica?!
  • edited December 2011
    I have to admit, I chickened out.  Especially with the wedding coming up really soon, I've been trying to cut back on the sweets, and I couldn't justify making a batch of treats--my FI has been trying to moderate his desserts for a while, and people in my office are trying to be more health-conscious, so I don't think they'd appreciate it. 

I ended up making herbed spelt popovers and massaman curry for the week.  I think I might try your recipe when FI's little sisters are staying with us after the wedding. 
  • edited December 2011
    Mmm, that sounds good though!!

FI is having a hard time knowing there are 200 whoopie pies in the freezer right now. They are not a fun thing to have around when you are trying to cut down on sweets, that's for sure!

I'm the only girl in my office and none of these guys care about watching what they eat, so I love making stuff because I can make a batch of whatever, eat one, and then give the rest away. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I work in a fairly small office, and my mom's a nutritionist and has told me about some of her patients that had problems stemming from candy bowls and the like at work, so I feel bad bringing in too much junk food. 

I was going to try "healthy" pop tarts with whole wheat flour, but with the amount of butter I would need, it didn't seem to do the trick. 

I hope your FI's willpower prevails!
  • edited December 2011
    Haha, thanks!! It better, because I don't have time to make another batch if he eats them!!

I start on cake pops (for our favors) next weekend. Not looking forward to all that much...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards