North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Guests traveling to OBX for wedding

I need some advice! I live in Philly and it's about a 6 hour drive to the obx. My FMIL won't stop complaining about OOT guests that have to travel by plane or make the drive to the OBX. Are there any options to make the trip any easier for guests? I'm more concerned for the guests that have to fly in due to the airport being two hours away. Thanks guys!

Re: Guests traveling to OBX for wedding

• Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I would have your guests fly into Norfolk which is about 1 hr and 15 mins from the obx. 

I will give you a heads up that there is a toll right before you cross into NC and as of May 1st, they are increasing the toll from $2 to $6!!!  Yes I know, crazy hike!  Letting them know about the toll is a nice heads up

I dont really have any advice to offer on getting your guests here but dont let the FMIL get on your case too much about this....there are far more important things to worry about and your guests are completely prepared to travel to be a part of this important day so Im sure they understand the costs involved and have considered this when RSVP'ing yes :)

• Options
    sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Krystina,
    We are facing the same dillemma for our OOT guests. A group of our guests have decided to book flights into Norfolk airport around the same time and share a rental van to all drive down together. This is reducing travel costs significantly- not just in gas but tolls too. Maybe you could suggest this idea to your FMIL? Hope this helps. Happy Planning!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    lindsy310lindsy310 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am facing the same problem. I have plenty of time for planning so i have only done some browsing but i did find (If you have the buget for it) a few transportation companies that have vans and one has a coach bus to drive your guests from the airport to the obx- i dont remember the names but they were listed on the outer banks wedding association website
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have some family from the Boston area that are making the train ride down to Norfolk (~$65/each way), then meeting up with others that are flying/driving in to carpool down to the OBX.

We also have a group of friends that are renting a van in the Oklahoma City are and doing the drive together. 

This has been a complaint (esp. from my FMIL) as well.  But my family is so spread out (MA, NC, and FL) most everyone was going to have to travel somewhere no matter where we chose to do it... 
  • Options
    sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_guests-traveling-obx-wedding-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:18a8801c-758b-4d00-9a92-ec38c66413abPost:b9f06184-7d2f-4994-8e70-86466b655c0d">Re: Guests traveling to OBX for wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have some family from the Boston area that are making the<strong> train ride down to Norfolk (~$65/each way)</strong>, then meeting up with others that are flying/driving in to carpool down to the OBX. We also have a group of friends that are renting a van in the Oklahoma City are and doing the drive together.  This has been a complaint (esp. from my FMIL) as well.  But my family is so spread out (MA, NC, and FL) most everyone was going to have to travel somewhere no matter where we chose to do it... 
    Posted by wxkristin[/QUOTE]

Kristin,
    Do you know what train they are taking? Is it Amtrak?
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sarah,
    Yes, it's Amtrak (the Northeast regional.. travel time of about 13 hrs).  Looking back at the details, it was actually $73 each way.  
    (If this were a feasible option from OKC, I would probably take the train myself -- unfortunately, OKC to Norfolk is a 3 day train trip!)
  • Options
    kford30kford30 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having several guests fly into Norfolk also - we are opting to go over and pick them up and take them back after the week if they so desire.  Some are opting to do a rental car, so they have it upon arring at OBX for the week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards