New York-Long Island

need travel opinions.

My fiance and I are from Long Island.  The majority of his family and most of our friends are also from our area.  We have chosen a venue that we are in love with that is about 30 minutes east of us in Eastern Long Island.  It is easy enough for us, his family and our friends to get to. 

That said, a lot of my family will be coming from NYC, as well as many of my family's friends.  The trip for them to our venue would be nearly two hours.  Many of these people are older, and I don't want these guests to say no because it's too hard for them to travel.  For this reason, we will be providing party buses from a location in NYC to transport guests out to our venue in Eastern LI. 

Do you think that by providing this transportation back and forth that our guests would be more inclined to come? Thanks :)

Re: need travel opinions.

• edited December 2011
    How east is Eastern LI?  Are we talking Babylon, Patchogue, the Hamptons, Montauk?  More info is needed, please!
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_need-travel-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:120Discussion:8e82324e-4fe2-44cf-8daf-f031441a615dPost:531853eb-bbbd-43a9-9365-0e55cb4d8a06">Re: need travel opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]How east is Eastern LI?  Are we talking Babylon, Patchogue, the Hamptons, Montauk?  More info is needed, please!
    Posted by saisongbird[/QUOTE]

Ditto...
    However, regardless of where a wedding is, I personally wouldn't take a bus there just b/c you're dependent on that mode of transportation home... What if you get tired/hurt/sick and need to leave? I think your guests would get a hotel or find arrangements if they knew it was going to be a problem.

FWIW, I had my wedding at East Wind in Wading River, several of our guests travelled an hour or two from NYC and upstate to be there, none had any issues.
  • edited December 2011
    I have the same Situation and was thinking of having Transportation Provided. But the Costs were about 2 GRANT for the duration of 8 hours .. I will pay my closest ppl without a possibilty of transportation a cab service, which will come out to like only 350 !!

It is whoever wants to be there, will be there ! Despite Travel :)

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_need-travel-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:120Discussion:8e82324e-4fe2-44cf-8daf-f031441a615dPost:066c1537-f943-486b-b788-1c3b76703aab">Re: need travel opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: need travel opinions. : Ditto... However, regardless of where a wedding is, I personally wouldn't take a bus there just b/c you're dependent on that mode of transportation home... What if you get tired/hurt/sick and need to leave? I think your guests would get a hotel or find arrangements if they knew it was going to be a problem. <div>
    Posted by Anabeth420[/QUOTE]

</div><div>We provided transportation for our guests staying at the hotel, but that's it.  We also provided them with the number of a cab company if they wanted to leave early.</div>
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • edited December 2011
    I have the same situation - however, upon discussing the issue with some of the adults - they aren't inclined to ride on a bus for that long. They'd rather take their own mode of transport.

My venue is an hour from where I live in Merrick (Giorgio's at Fox Hill) - and the reception is on a sunday. I know most of my guests are either staying on SAT. night or SUN. night so they won't have to drive.

It's a difficult situation, but you'd have to look for transport with bathroom facilities - which will be much pricer. You can always try to work it out so it's a fee for pick up and then a fee for drop off. Some places will do that.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011
    can't those who are older just grab a ride with someone else driving?

i wouldn't rely on a bus either-i like to come and go at will.

• edited December 2011
    my family is all from brooklyn but for every wedding we have attended in long island or further we all usually get together and hire a party bus to take us all back and forth.  just cause that way no one has to worry about the drive home, or anything. its been the best idea our family has ever had, before we started doing this on our own my cousin hired a bus to bring people from the church to the hall in l.i. we loved it!  and recently our friends did the same thing. no one complained it was nice not having to think about that drive home at the end of the night.

smart thinking :) 
    Oct. 2012 Siggy E-Rings Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards