Christian Weddings

Unity Cross or Unity Sand or both??

We wanted to have a unity sand ceremony, instead of a unity candle. Then the wonderful ladies of this board introduced me to the unity cross. I fell in love instantly!

I definitely want to have the sand ceremony but I would also love to do the unity cross. Do you think it's too much to do both??
Wedding Countdown Ticker imageGraphics

Re: Unity Cross or Unity Sand or both??

• kclare81kclare81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depending on how you organize your ceremony it could work, you probably wouldn't want to do them back to back.  We are doing the unity cross, one because I don't want to do something that is so common in other people's weddings, and two because of all the symbolism in each piece that creates and holds together the cross.  The other traditions are very cool, but you have to find what works for you and your fiancee.  Congratulations!!
  • kkidd28kkidd28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is hard to choose cause we get such good info on this board!  I agree with Kclare.  Look at the rest of your program to see if you think you have time to do both?  I'm actually not doing either for the same reasons as everyone else.  We all want something that is new and different - to us!  For my fiance & I, that meant using the 3 stranded cord.   I will say that before that I was in awe of the sand and the cross though so its a hard choice.  Is it wrong to say that if you have to pick on, just flip a coin - lol!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is the symbolism of each and are they different?  If you don't think that they are different, I would do just one.  I personally feel that they are both symbols of the two becoming one.  After doing it once, it is like you are saying that you are now united and are one.  Then you would do the other and it would be like you are separate and are becoming one again.

Of course it is your ceremony and you should plan it to be unique to you as a couple, but if it were me, I'd do one or the other
  • kclare81kclare81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The unity cross is meant to symbolize the strength and boldness, protective nature of man (outer cross); the soft, intricate, feminine side of the woman (inner cross); put together shows the union; and the three pins symbolize the holy trinity which holds you relationship together.  For my FI and I, that meant a lot as we truly believe no relationship can be what it is truly meant to be if God is not at the center.  That is our personal faith/belief, with respect to everyone else's faith.

My knowledge, not that I am correct, but my understanding of the sand is symbolic of the two becoming one. 

We have never seen the unity cross at any weddings down here in our neck of the woods and after speaking to some of our friends, neither had they, so it worked out for us.  I am sure like many other things though it will soon become more common. 

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.  Either way, I'm sure it will be a beautiful day!
  • DanielleB80DanielleB80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ kclare81: what you posted is my exact reasoning for both of them. What the cross and the sand symbolizes is very important to us. 

And I have never seen anyone have either of these at a wedding. We don't have a layout for the ceremony yet, but we don't plan for it to be longer than 30 mins. I guess we could do them both and just separate them far enough in the ceremony so they won't totally overwhelm our guests. LOL

Thanks ladies!!!
  • dolores 56dolores 56 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would like to know more about the cross and how it works and how to do it could you explaing more about it .Its very different to the candles i have never seen the cross or the sand
  • DanielleB80DanielleB80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ dolores 56: I knew nothing of the unity cross until I read mbr5000's post a few months ago (this is the link to the post)
    http://forums.theknot.com/default.aspx?path=http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings

You can also google unity cross for more info or try http://shopinspiration.com/ .

HTH

• edited December 2011
    I'm contemplating doing both the Unity Cross (to symbolize our union and with Christ at the center to hold it all together) and still liking the idea of the all too common Unity Candle... thinking of using this to symbolize the blending/combining of our families as well.... The only problem is I'm not sure if that would be too much either... and also, I would consider doing four tapered candles since both of our parents are divorced and remarried.... I just feel like that might represent all the different aspects/lives that are being combined.... too much???
    Amy & Eric 10-16-10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards