Not Engaged Yet

How do you de-stress?

I noticed that we have a lot of posts about people mentioning all the things they need to do, how hard it is to stick to goals, etc. but how does everyone like to keep their stress levels down?

Now that I've started doing yoga, I swear by it. I find when I actually get around to working out at all, that definitely helps.

Also, time with BF helps. I miss that; I think it's one of the reasons why I've been so stressed these past few weeks.

This one may sound weird, but I find going to church helps as well. I think there's something comforting about it and all the people there.

What do you like to do?

Re: How do you de-stress?

• deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I clean. I also clean when I'm pissed off. lol You can always tell when I've had a stressful day because the kitchen is spotless. If I'm super stressed out, I also let myself have a good cry and then I'm good to go again.
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Running!  Gosh, it feels so good after a run.  The world just seems like a happier, better place.  Endorphins are like crack.

If I don't have time to run (and shower, because that's necessary to build into the time allotted), then I'll veg out and watch my TV shows on my computer.

Anniversary

• bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Working out helps, if I'm really stressed out I just take a break and color and drink some honey tea. I also feel less stressed when my apartment is clean.

• heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Deb, I clean when I'm procrastinating haha. That's how I know I'm really avoiding things I have to do.. I feel like cleaning.

I also read more when I'm stressed out. It seems backwards, but when I have a lot to do and I just want to get away from it I escape into a good book.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Working out helps when I'm stressed, I have pent up energy that needs to go somewhere.  Sitting and watching TV will help sometimes, but I find that my mind still dwells on what is bothering me.  Other then than spending time cuddling with FI is also a BIG help because it gets my mind to shut down so I can calm down. 
  • luvdncn90luvdncn90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

@Bren-Have you ever tried hot yoga? I swear by it. I feel a million times better and so much more relaxed after I do hot yoga. It is honestly so amazing, you should really look into it.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_de-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:d35f189c-8486-4533-bc25-b27116636cf3Post:030bba30-4e6b-428e-b939-c193188878db">Re: How do you de-stress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]@Bren-Have you ever tried hot yoga? I swear by it. I feel a million times better and so much more relaxed after I do hot yoga. It is honestly so amazing, you should really look into it.
    Posted by luvdncn90[/QUOTE]

We don't have any hot yoga classes where I live (at least that I've found). But a new yoga place did just open up so I'm waiting to see if they'll be adding more classes soon.. I've only heard good things about it! I just started taking it this month though, so I'm taking a gentle yoga class to learn the poses.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_de-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:d35f189c-8486-4533-bc25-b27116636cf3Post:1689a11e-4a63-4b21-8b7b-a127b986c180">Re: How do you de-stress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Working out helps when I'm stressed, I have pent up energy that needs to go somewhere.  Sitting and watching TV will help sometimes, but I find that my mind still dwells on what is bothering me.  Other then than spending time cuddling with FI is also a BIG help because it gets my mind to shut down so I can calm down. 
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

This, exactly!  You said it so well - exercise helps burn off anxiety and extra energy, TV is more zoning out but it doesn't fix anything.

And man, oh man, nothing physically relaxes me like cuddling with BF.  After a stressful day, the best way for me to fall asleep is to rest my head on his chest while he reads.  I'll be asleep within 10 minutes.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I'll second endorphins being like crack.  Sometimes I find the silliest sounding class that one of the campus gyms is offering and will try to go to that since there is no way I can fret about a paper when jumping on a trampoline, perfecting my jazz hands, or if it's pilates, while flapping my arms on what could be medieval torture equipment.  Ditto yoga.
  • edited December 2011
    When I'm extremely stressed, I bake. I love baking, and it for sure gets my stress levels down.

I also love to pray or ready my favorite Bible verses when I'm stressed out. There's a verse that says, "For she does not fear bad news, nor live in dred of what may happen to her, because she has settled in her mind that Jehovah will care for her." That's my favorite verse (although it's in a weird translation), and I usually resite it over and over again in my head when I'm freaking out about somoething. That calms me down the best of all.
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I cook.  I also work out (so that I can eat those goodies after...).  Or, if I'm home alone, I turn up some music really loud and dance around the house and sing at the top of my lungs (usually while cleaning)

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely agree with yoga. The problem is, generally when I'm stressed it's because I'm busy and therefore don't get to yoga. If you looked at my to-do list for today, you'd see working out and yoga are a should do, and should do's probably won't happen for me today, which sucks. I find a good night's sleep also helps me feel better. And real, quality time with BF. And finally, making a list of all the crap I need to do also helps (hence the to-do list). I'm big on organization, and the list appeals to that side of me. Today I also cleaned out my drawers, which made me feel excellent.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I don't get TOO stressed often, but I cook/eat when stressed.  I'm trying to stop the stress eating part :) 
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Sex!

Lol, but seriously, just being with FI helps.  We normally snuggle on the couch and watch a movie or something, it's very relaxing to just be with each other.
    Anniversary
  • zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WoW.

I am the most productive here :P

• edited December 2011
    I am making a quilt for my BF as my stress project this semester.  I LOVE the idea of the hope chest.  I don't have a chest but I plan on making a quilt, among a few other things to give to BF on our wedding day! Nothing breaks up the stress of Bio and Calc like sewing!
  • edited December 2011
    I tend to destress, at least somewhat, by exercising, yoga, sex, therapy, a good cry, and eating copious amounts of junk food.
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I find I have to try different things to destress - working out, baking, cleaning, reading, spending time with BF, etc. It all depends on what I'm stressed about.
  • LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_de-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:d35f189c-8486-4533-bc25-b27116636cf3Post:6c88b0d3-9fad-469c-993f-3a9e4b80f3b9">Re: How do you de-stress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I cook.  I also work out (so that I can eat those goodies after...).  Or, if I'm home alone, <strong>I turn up some music really loud and dance around the house and sing at the top of my lungs</strong> (usually while cleaning)
    Posted by PaigeMcC[/QUOTE]

I do this. It can make me feel so much better just dancing around being silly and making myself laugh. It's always better when you are either in your underwear or singing into a hairbrush.
    friends tv show funy
  • edited December 2011
    i clean, bake/cook, and sleep.  not really productive, but it works for me.
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_de-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d35f189c-8486-4533-bc25-b27116636cf3Post:077dbe2b-abce-4597-a92f-fb256845d102">Re: How do you de-stress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do you de-stress? : I do this. It can make me feel so much better just dancing around being silly and making myself laugh. It's always better when you are either in your underwear or singing into a hairbrush.
    Posted by cdechristopher[/QUOTE]

<div>I sing to the pugs.  It makes it even better;)</div>

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I crank up the tunes and hold my own private dance party while I belt out the lyrics. It helps to get all that anxious energy out and makes me feel silly and giddy :)

Also, I find that venting to FI really helps. I just take a couple minutes to let it all out, and as soon as I'm done, I feel better and like I can move on from it.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_de-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:d35f189c-8486-4533-bc25-b27116636cf3Post:6003e7c2-f190-45ba-9d5e-556d9ba013b2">Re: How do you de-stress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I'm extremely stressed, I bake. I love baking, and it for sure gets my stress levels down. I also love to pray or ready my favorite Bible verses when I'm stressed out. There's a verse that says, "<strong>For she does not fear bad news, nor live in dred of what may happen to her, because she has settled in her mind that Jehovah will care for her."</strong> That's my favorite verse (although it's in a weird translation), and I usually resite it over and over again in my head when I'm freaking out about somoething. That calms me down the best of all.
    Posted by bourgehm[/QUOTE]

Hope, what verse and translation is that?
  • edited December 2011

Bren,
    It's Psalms 112:6-8. In the TLB version. (The Living Bible translation) Not a very popular translation, but it's my favorite translation of that verse.  I love that verse!

When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards